New jigstone building

If you would like to share some of your garden railway photographs or photos of prototypes which might inspire members, then please post them in here
mymodeltrain
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

New jigstone building

Post by mymodeltrain » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:24 am

This is my first jigstone building; very soon will be placed in the garden.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:28 am

Very nice too.... rustic and great character. Placed in an area surrounded by plenty of planting that will fit in beautifully.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:49 pm

beautiful I love the light above the door too very good

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:56 pm

Very nice indeed!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

mymodeltrain
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by mymodeltrain » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:56 pm

Thanks for the compliments. I was nervous when I decided to do this since it took many preparation steps before the construct and what if it didn't work out given my time is very limited. I do everything in rush. I casted the stones from pure cement every evening after work. And it took me many week-end days to glue them together. When it came to the roof I didn't know what to do; I tried a plastic roof from Plastruct but it didn't look well; looking around my garage and I found some roof stuff left over from my house and it turned out right. After all, I am very happy with this building, not perfect as a newbee like me, but it is sure very stable and would resist harsh outdoor conditions.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:44 am

I like the way you've painted the stonework to emphasise the mortar courses.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

mymodeltrain
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by mymodeltrain » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:49 pm

ge_rik:119200 wrote:I like the way you've painted the stonework to emphasise the mortar courses.

Rik

Rik,
Thanks for the comment; actually, I learned the dry-brush painting technique from your website.

nighttrain
New User
New User

Re: New jigstone building

Post by nighttrain » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:27 am

Looks great! I have just inherited all of my parents jigstone molds (as well as the previously made blocks and roofs that they made). Looking for my first project to put them to use soon. I have been reading and looking as much as I can for the best and it seems a readily available product here in the states called quikrete is fairly desirable.

Did you hand paint each block on your project?

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:19 am

Nice job on the building, and the painting of the brickwork too. Bet your hooked now!
Grant.

mymodeltrain
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by mymodeltrain » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:25 pm

nighttrain wrote: ↑Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:27 am Looks great! I have just inherited all of my parents jigstone molds (as well as the previously made blocks and roofs that they made). Looking for my first project to put them to use soon. I have been reading and looking as much as I can for the best and it seems a readily available product here in the states called quikrete is fairly desirable.

Did you hand paint each block on your project?
For the main hue, I used dry-painting methods. Basically, I wetted just the tip of a large brush with paint, then I dried the brush using a paper towel to ensure only residual paint left over on the tip of the brush before painting the building. To avoid the paint covers the space between the bricks, it is recommended to move the brush strokes in a diagonal direction. Then, I hand-painted the bricks that I want to have a different hue. Finally, dry-painting again with some black or mixture of main color/black paints where I want to generate some sorts of artifact. Methods of dry-painting could be found in Ge_Rik's blogs.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:04 am

That is a great 1st time build, it looks like it could be a countryside Police Station. :thumb right:

Should give you confidence to do more, it would me if I had any of those skills at all....