eBay madness

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
dougrail
Driver
Driver

Re: eBay madness

Post by dougrail » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:06 pm

philipy wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:10 am
tom_tom_go wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:03 am Amazing how some paint makes it cost significantly more than a new one!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 4150172509
I'd guess he is trying to recoup at least some of the money he laid out to have it weathered. Not criticising the paint job, it looks very good, but how anyone can describe the loco as being immaculate when it looks like that, is also beyond me
Because it "looks" like that artificially but the mechanical, hydraulic, integrity of metalwork etc is probably as good as new.

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:35 pm

dougrail wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:06 pm
philipy wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:10 am
tom_tom_go wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:03 am Amazing how some paint makes it cost significantly more than a new one!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 4150172509
I'd guess he is trying to recoup at least some of the money he laid out to have it weathered. Not criticising the paint job, it looks very good, but how anyone can describe the loco as being immaculate when it looks like that, is also beyond me
Because it "looks" like that artificially but the mechanical, hydraulic, integrity of metalwork etc is probably as good as new.
I agree it may well be mechanically immaculate, but that isn't what the ad says. It says " Immaculate Condition as seen in pictures" and the mechanical condition cannot be seen in the pictures.
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:09 am

Still think it's well overpriced......Thats the trouble though with our scale, they think it's ok to charge silly money. Happened to me with a couple of people in my area, don't bother with them now..........

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:24 am

What does the panel think a fair price would be for the yellow Lilla?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:36 pm

Dunno, but I was amused that it's listed as being in immaculate condition!

I like a little weathering, but this one's not my cup of tea, I''m afraid...

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:49 pm

TonyW wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:24 am What does the panel think a fair price would be for the yellow Lilla?
A brand new yellow or any colour you want Lilla is £1799 from TrackShack with FREE delivery.

The eBay offering is second hand (it doesn't matter if it's mint, never steam, etc it's still second hand) with weathering only (remember this isn't a paint job from scratch which would take much more time and effort as you know Tony as you offer this as one of your services) so to charge £266 for this is too much.

I prefer the job you did on this personally:

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:40 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:49 pmI prefer the job you did on this personally:
<Blush>And what a job it was, thank you.</Blush> The owner tells me he his making good progress with the matching Tipong coal tubs and the whole train will be at the Peterborough show.

A price difference of £266 seems to me to be reasonable price for the work that Matt has done on the yellow Lilla. A lot of time has been spent on achieving that effect. But then, if it is not to your taste, it is always going to be "too much".

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:55 pm

Let me clarify what I was trying to say.

It's the price of the loco and weathering applied, it's in a modified state and second hand so not new. I am not saying the paint job is overpriced.

I would rather buy a new loco and then either do the weathering myself or ask someone like yourself Tony to do it for me at cost. I would then have a brand new loco, full warranty and a paint job I wanted.

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:23 pm

Got it, I understand and see where you are coming from, thanks for the clarification.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:38 pm

Imagine the fallout of saying stuff like this on FB and it then being misunderstood and spread like wildfire!

BorisSpencer
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BorisSpencer » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:55 pm

I remember the loco was posted on the Facebook 16mm Trading Group and didn't get any interest.
As with everything, it's worth what someone is prepared to pay, in these days of instant gratification it may be just what someone's looking for.

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:26 pm

Interesting thoughts. I'm reminded of Tag Gorton's article in this month's Garden Rail, where he advocates making your name-plates easily removeable, oherwise unless someone is specifically looking for a loco named "Mavis" then you may expect it will reduce the resale value to have them permanently affixed.

So it is with this. I find that if the item is brand-new, and the price he is asking is equivalent to the price of the new loco plus the professionally-applied extra painting, then it is fair: IF he is hoping there is someone out there who has always wanted a lemon-yellow Hunslet with wasp-stripes on the buffer beam. Someone out there may have always dreamed of owning one just like this. For that guy the price is OK, perhaps saving the "trouble" of dealing with the painter directly, I don't know. But will the buyer have recourse to Roundhouse after-sales service?

I suspect that most people looking for a Roundhouse Hunslet are NOT looking for wasp-stripes, nor is yellow a particularly popular colour, so for all intents and purposes the original owner has reduced its resale value by modifying it to suit only a very narrow range of potential buyers. Persnally I think he's dreaming to expect someone to pay that much for it.

Driver
Driver

Post by 90733 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:54 pm

I believe the price of the Lillia on eBay is almost the price it was 'new' from Matt, it isn't much less that a friend of mine paid for his Pre-Lined Lilla at the a similar time this one was done. It does bring up the question though, what do you pay for a loco that has been pre-lined to be sold on, does this make it second hand? After all its been modified then...
Thanks
Jack

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:58 am

Keith S wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:26 pm Interesting thoughts. I'm reminded of Tag Gorton's article in this month's Garden Rail, where he advocates making your name-plates easily removable, otherwise unless someone is specifically looking for a loco named "Mavis" then you may expect it will reduce the resale value to have them permanently affixed.
I agree with this. I purchased a loco which had nameplates attached with superglue. It needed a lot of work to repair the paintwork after removal. It wasn't an issue for me as I do repaints on 4mm stuff so I had all I needed to make good the damage. However it was a lot of work needing much rubbing down, cleaning and de-greasing and then a coat of primer and top coat. As I didn't want to do a full repaint I also had to mask a lot of the loco.
Ian

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:14 pm

No matter who has done the paint job....It's not new...getting that price is living in dream land, has a lot of them are, and like Tom and other members have said, it's a rubbish job.....

Much prefer this......
tom_tom_go wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:49 pm
TonyW wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:24 am What does the panel think a fair price would be for the yellow Lilla?
A brand new yellow or any colour you want Lilla is £1799 from TrackShack with FREE delivery.

The eBay offering is second hand (it doesn't matter if it's mint, never steam, etc it's still second hand) with weathering only (remember this isn't a paint job from scratch which would take much more time and effort as you know Tony as you offer this as one of your services) so to charge £266 for this is too much.

I prefer the job you did on this personally:

My maths also make it £246 Tom, but still it's rubbish.....That Lilla is...... :cussing: :cussing:

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:37 pm

Reign it in please guys.

I don't think it's rubbish and it's the cost we are discussing.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:16 pm

Tom, thankfully our forum isn't like Facebook and generally it's very honest in it's opinions and because you don't think it's rubbish do we need to all have the same opinion. I do think it's rubbish for that money. Tony's is a far better job and looks like a real working loco. And we can't comment on the price if we don't say why it's not worth the money.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:32 pm

Someone bought it so they must of liked it.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:39 am

tom_tom_go wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:32 pm Someone bought it so they must of liked it.
:scratch: :scratch:

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:45 am