Railways in 7/8ths scale.

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:07 pm

I am dipping my toe in it at the moment with a Simply 7/8ths Baldrig. You should Google search 7/8ths forums for more input.

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:12 pm

I'll cofess that I have been following a few edrigs on ebay with an eye for a conversion at a later stage.. I do find the presence of a large loco and small wagons/train appealing.

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by steamie1 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:37 pm

I like the look of 7/8ths on 45mm track but on 32 it is just too toppley for me so I'm giving it miss.

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:22 am

Dabbled in 7/8th briefly but struck out on a completely different tangent of 1:17 scale (30 inch gauge) on 45mm track.

Alan P
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Alan P » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:23 am

I run a 7/8ths Accucraft Quarry Hunslet on my 16mm scale railway, as long as you don't look too closely it's ok 8) I think if you are limited for space then 7/8ths is just too big.

KjellAn
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by KjellAn » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:24 am

I 'm looking at the 7/8ths scale here at the forum and in the SMT, but can you help me: What is the acctual scale? I think it's larger than 16mm.
16mm is 16mm/1foot = 1:19,05
7/8 is 7/8inch/1foot = 1:13,72 (or am I wrong?)

Narrow gauge lines here in in Norway have bigger locos and coaches than those similar on the Brittish islands. Then I think it looks better with a larger scale (7/8ths) to have in your gardens.
Kjell Anderdal :)

Livesteam 16mm on my line - the Pine Hill Railway (PHRy)

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:49 am

Your maths is correct, although rounded it should be 13.71 :)

There was a nice article in Garden Rail 189 with some fine looking locos. I think it could work in a small garden as, in my eyes, you only need a few tatty wagons to haul and shunt.

Bill/Rubery
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Bill/Rubery » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:13 am

It depends on what sort of person you are. You like building things? you will enjoy the scale. You are happy to pay for other people's imagination....debatable!
Regards, Bill/Rubery

www.amalgamatedconserves.org.uk

WWLR
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by WWLR » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:33 pm

I have been considering 7/8 for my patio railway.

It's early days yet, my Mamod restoration is going slowly and could be adapted to various scales. I have gathered enough used Peco SM32 track to lay a reasonable sized oval, but when I mentioned track side buildings to the local planning department she said it would need to be 1:12 scale to match her dolls houses.

I think I could sneak 1:13.7 past the inspector if I said the driver was only a short chap!

spooner
Fireman
Fireman

Post by spooner » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:08 pm

In 1:12 scale 32mm gauge works out at 15"gauge.
Ian
WLR

St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Post by St.Michael » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:21 pm

I´m on my way in to the 7/8, or 1:13,7 That means I´m planning my garden railway nr.2 and that I will keep my existing line in 1:20
My present line has matured, the tracks are in 32mm and I do like to make buildings to fit amongst the line. I guess it will be to much for me to make my kind of buildings in a bigger scale. But I´m not shure of anything now..Maybe I´ll forget my 1:20 line, when I start with the bigger rw?
I have ordered this: http://www.echtdampfwelt.de/echtdampfshop/feldbahn/
I´m planning to use LGB track, but I wonder if R3 curves (Which I happen to have lot´s of) can be used, or if the are too steep in this scale?
I´m also planning to make changes on some of my LGB wagons to make them fit into 7/8. Any opinions on this?
Regards from Michael

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:40 pm

St.Michael:104318 wrote:I´m on my way in to the 7/8, or 1:13,7  That means I´m planning my garden railway nr.2 and that I will keep my existing line in 1:20
My present line has matured, the tracks are in 32mm and I do like to make buildings to fit amongst the line.  I guess it will be to much for me to make my kind of buildings in a bigger scale. But I´m not shure of anything now..Maybe I´ll forget my 1:20 line, when I start with the bigger rw?
I have ordered this: http://www.echtdampfwelt.de/echtdampfshop/feldbahn/  
I´m planning to use LGB track, but I wonder if R3 curves (Which I happen to have lot´s of) can be used, or if the are too steep in this scale?
I´m also planning to make changes on some of my LGB wagons to make them fit into 7/8. Any opinions on this?
Regards from Michael
What a coincidence. I also have one on order from Herrmann, but you have to be aware that he practically produces one at a time, so it´s good to be patient, as it´s not exactly mass production. But I have plans to "mess about" with this loco and make the cab look a little more Wales-like. Also, by coincidence, I have plans afoot for a Regner Vincent rebuild including tender. Have you got any more pics of your one?

St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Post by St.Michael » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:18 pm

kandnwlr:
I have som vague plans of ordering the tender from Swift sixteen:
http://www.swiftsixteen.co.uk/productDe ... oductID=93 But now, with this 7/8 thing in my mind, it has to wait.. But maybe I´ll take my other Regner, "Chaloner" and let her perform as a small quarryloco on my new line.
Wich loco have you ordrered from Herrmann? Can´t believe you are changing scale?

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:26 pm

[quote="St.Michael:104324

kandnwlr:
I have som vague plans of ordering the tender from Swift sixteen:
http://www.swiftsixteen.co.uk/productDe ... oductID=93 But now, with this 7/8 thing in my mind, it has to wait.. But maybe I´ll take my other Regner, "Chaloner" and let her perform as a small quarryloco on my new line.
Wich loco have you ordrered from Herrmann? Can´t believe you are changing scale?[/quote]

Not planning to change scale, don´t worry, but I like the chassis of the Herrmann loco.

Changing scale would involve many locos and a divorce lawyer.

St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Post by St.Michael » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:27 pm

Negotiation with the boss is always an interesting subject,I think. I was a bit unsure how to let her know that she is going to get a second line in her garden. We have got a little puppy, now about 3 month old.. So I have presented the line on the top of some fencing that I can make, on a place where the puppy can run away. And this have been accepted ;)
By the way, the ordering of a new loco is gonna cost me the building of a glass porch on our house. :roll: