Electric's on the Grockle Garden Railway

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
ian
Cleaner
Cleaner

Electric's on the Grockle Garden Railway

Post by ian » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:45 pm

As you can imagine running 00 gauge in the garden has its drawbacks. The transformers are to be kept inside so they are situated inside my shed. Now the problem is how does one get a continious voltage around the garden. Simple solution for me as to have two outputs from the same terminals on the rear of the transformer. One pair go via a switch which is either ON or OFF. Power lines are then run from the switch to the outside and soldered to the relevant side of the track at approx every 3 feet for the complete circuit of the line till it gets to the tunnel entrance back into the shed. Rail isolators are used just after the points that take the track from inside the shed to the outside. This avoids any problems with short circuits during the winter period when I run in the shed only. It also gives me a couple of extra storage sidings as well if required.
As far as control over the speed of the trains for stations and the necessary, certain sections of track are isolated and a simple dimmer switch is used to control the speed of the train. In total about 30 dimmer switches will be required when the final phase of the hard build is complete and track is finally laid all around the garden

Ian
It my railway and I will run what I like
http://www.freewebs.com/grocklegardenrailway

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Oh errr, sounds very technical! A bit out of my capacity at the moment!!! :lol:

jmquet
New User
New User

Re: Electric's on the Grockle Garden Railway

Post by jmquet » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:03 pm

ian wrote: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:45 pm As you can imagine running 00 gauge in the garden has its drawbacks. The transformers are to be kept inside so they are situated inside my shed. Now the problem is how does one get a continious voltage around the garden. Simple solution for me as to have two outputs from the same terminals on the rear of the transformer. One pair go via a switch which is either ON or OFF. Power lines are then run from the switch to the outside and soldered to the relevant side of the track at approx every 3 feet for the complete circuit of the line till it gets to the tunnel entrance back into the shed. Rail isolators are used just after the points that take the track from inside the shed to the outside. This avoids any problems with short circuits during the winter period when I run in the shed only. It also gives me a couple of extra storage sidings as well if required.
As far as control over the speed of the trains for stations and the necessary, certain sections of track are isolated and a simple dimmer switch is used to control the speed of the train. In total about 30 dimmer switches will be required when the final phase of the hard build is complete and track is finally laid all around the garden

Ian
Hello Ian,

I am a student and trying to learning railway gauge and scale, i am fully able to understand what you tell here but i am very happy now because here i can learn bundle of information.
One question i also want to asking you please let me know how much gauge needed for continuous voltage around the garden?
Thanks for your valuable time if you give me the answer of my question.

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Re: Electric's on the Grockle Garden Railway

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:54 pm

If you were to change the transformer to the Hornby radio control power units then speed could be controlled from anywhere. No dimmer switches needed.

As to the question, Gauge is the distance between the rails and the required voltage is what the train needs to run. In this case 12 Volts