Steam-up area/turntable ideas

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
big-ted
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Steam-up area/turntable ideas

Post by big-ted » Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:38 am

All, I've taken on design of the turntable/steam-up area for our local model engineering group. Thought I would put a general call out for ideas/inspiration. Some photos of the layout as it stands currently, with a temporary bridge where the turntable is to go:

Requirements:
  • Minimum turntable length 52" (This is in North America where folks like to run huge locomotives. Not my style, but such is democracy... :lol: )
  • Remains outside year-round
  • There will be three storage tracks on the steam-up area, and two further storage tracks, plus the main access to the layout, on the access side.
  • There is a general desire to keep things simple. For example, another group I am involved with has a combined turntable/traverser, but that isn't the preferred option here, since one has to be careful to center the traverser before rotating the turntable. Instead, the thought here is just to use curved connecting tracks from the outside lines onto the turntable.
  • Probably needs to be able to be temporarily connected to track power. My thought here is just to use rail joiners that one can slide onto the connecting tracks as required. My guess is they will never be used, but again, this is a case of keeping others happy.
My thought is to use one of these guys:

https://www.amazon.ca/Aluminium-Turntab ... 0cnVl&th=1

It's aluminium, which should help it last outdoors, although I realise the bearings and races themselves are likely still steel. Best I can think of is to pack it with thick grease on installation. If it has to be replaced every few years it's not the end of the world. Similar steel 9" bearings are rated for 750lbs and up to 32" lazy susans' so I think this should be plenty sturdy enough.

I hope to get permission to knock out some of the blocks on the storage tracks to create steam-up bays allowing access to the underside of locos. I think I'm the only member with an alcohol-fired pot-boiler loco, but hey, democracy doesn't have to apply everywhere...! For rails here my thought is to just use plain steel bar, aligned to the rails, cemented in at one end, and with an expansion gap the other end.

Any thoughts, pics, inspiration etc appreciated!

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Re: Steam-up area/turntable ideas

Post by Phil.P » Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:44 pm

If you can arrange for two (or more) raised steaming bays, with access either side, then that would give you more roads for preparing / disposing of loco's..

Nothing worse, than one of the club's 'great and good' hogging a road, whilst holding-court..

Even a couple of block-work piers, and a fairly open steel supporting structure would be adequate. Possibly steel / Ali plates, to drop-in, these to hold water bottles etc.
Somewhere to drop a fire? - Give them the facility to aspire to..

If there is going to be mainly steamers.. I would go for chunky 4mm banana sockets (under cover) and tails to decent Croc-clips, for track power..
Inserting the plugs, will self-clean the connections, and decent teeth will get through the rust and oil on the tracks..

Phil.P

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: Steam-up area/turntable ideas

Post by artfull dodger » Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:49 pm

high heat/fireproof area to drop the ash pan on coal fired engines that are becoming more common, so no sleepers for several inches to allow the pan to be dropped with ashes, remains of hot partially burnt coal falling into a metal pan/tin that is removable. I have also seen cookie tins recessed into the table top to catch the oily mess our little beasts tend to create as the come up into steam and clear their cylinders. Plenty of room for a someone raising steam, someone shutting one down without having to manually handle hot engines, so more than one track/steaming location/area. I left my area open under the table top so I can sit on a stool while bringing my coal fired engine into steam. Coal fired engines take some time to prepare and to shut down/clean up. Being able to sit down whilst doing this chore is welcome on older legs and knees. If night ops are planned, good lighting is essential. I work an off shift, so many times, I will run steam long after dark. I rely on scale like lighting on my railway, but a friend has a LED security light over his that he can turn on. Just some thoughts and ideas. Mike
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!