Recycled plastic track base

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Recycled plastic track base

Post by andymctractor » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:38 pm

Hi all. Yet again, I found a topic I was going to reply to but couldn’t find it again once I had the information. I’m a bit of a lost cause in this respect so I’ve decided to just put this on the forum and maybe it will get to the member(s) concerned.

This is about recycled plastic trackbase (Filcris) and in particular the ladder system.
Just over a year ago I made some changes to my goods sidings using the Filcris ladder system. In this photo can be seen the concrete and brick trackbase under the main running lines and the under surface view of the one set of new sidings awaiting infil and a bit of tamping. The tall vertical posts that are set in concrete still need to be trimmed off level with where the sm32 track is to be fitted. Hope this is useful.
Since this photo nature has helped the new engineering work to look quite credible.
Photo before infil with soil
Photo before infil with soil
55AD3032-245B-4634-97A7-E1DF0FA6BCA4.jpeg (9.87 MiB) Viewed 3022 times
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Re: Recycled plastic track base

Post by Soar Valley Light » Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:17 pm

Hi Andy,

I'll be interested to see if you experience any movement of the track alignment or level. This is pretty much the system I used for my line. I had several years of kinks appearing, wild crosslevel variations and some tightening of curves. Things seem to be settling down a bit now but the jury is still out!

At least in sidings, where track is rarely perfect anyway, it doesn't really matter.

SVLR Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: Recycled plastic track base

Post by andymctractor » Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:47 pm

Soar Valley Light wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:17 pm Hi Andy,
I'll be interested to see if you experience any movement of the track alignment or level.
SVLR Andrew
I've heard of some problems with this stuff expanding and contracting more than sm32 track. My 'ladder' is firmly concreted and tamped into the ground so I suppose it is held in place reasonably well. Also, as all my Filcris use is on siding that are held firmly at one end only then any expansion would show itself as a minor movement at the buffers end.

Hope this helps.
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)