So, what have you been up to with your railway?

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
DAVID L
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: So, what have you been up to with your railway?

Post by DAVID L » Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:37 am

BWLR wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:59 pm As a bit of a diversion I've recently been working on an Occre Soller Tram car kit. I've got a bit of a weak spot for trams like this...

Body and interior are complete and once the roof is done, I shall work on how best to motorise it. Probably going to be spring until,its finished as I will probably move onto some other projects in between!

IMG_1704[1].jpg
Hello-excellent work going on there. Would you be able to tell me the floor to axle distance using the original wheelsets, as I am cooperating on a possible drop-in motorised axle?

GAP
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by GAP » Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:19 am

After a nearly 10 years hibernation I fired my "Ruby" live steamer.

There is more to running it than just switching on the battery and running it.

Just like the real thing it requires oiling, firing, water filling and watching to make sure it does not run out of water before the gas runs out. It is supposed to run out of gas first but mine seems to run out of water first.

Good practice for when I go for my steam ticket on the 1:1 locos at the railway in the botanical gardens here, I will need 150 hours in my log book as a fireman/driver and pass an exam to qualify.
Graeme
From the home of the Ringbalin Light Railway
https://ringbalin-light-railway.blogspo ... -page.html

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:38 pm

Somehow, I don't think time on the Ruby, will count?
:dontknow:

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:42 am

GAP wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:19 am After a nearly 10 years hibernation I fired my "Ruby" live steamer.

There is more to running it than just switching on the battery and running it.

Just like the real thing it requires oiling, firing, water filling and watching to make sure it does not run out of water before the gas runs out. It is supposed to run out of gas first but mine seems to run out of water first.

Good practice for when I go for my steam ticket on the 1:1 locos at the railway in the botanical gardens here, I will need 150 hours in my log book as a fireman/driver and pass an exam to qualify.
My RH Fowler is also supposed to run out of gas before water, and when I enquired RH informed me on test it did, but after two years the water seems to go first, so much that I no longer trust it for a full run.

BWLR
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by BWLR » Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:41 pm

DAVID L wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:37 am
BWLR wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:59 pm As a bit of a diversion I've recently been working on an Occre Soller Tram car kit. I've got a bit of a weak spot for trams like this...

Body and interior are complete and once the roof is done, I shall work on how best to motorise it. Probably going to be spring until,its finished as I will probably move onto some other projects in between!

IMG_1704[1].jpg
Hello-excellent work going on there. Would you be able to tell me the floor to axle distance using the original wheelsets, as I am cooperating on a possible drop-in motorised axle?
That's actually a really good question, as while I have completed the body & roof I've not yet started on the underframe as I've been considering how best to motorise it myself! Having had a look at it this morning, I find there is a bit of a discrepancy in the kit with regard to axle height. The outside axleboxes (which are dummy ones) don't match height wise with the height of the axles if you fit them as per the instructions. The floor to axle centre is 26mm, while that on the axle boxes is just 21mm which I feel is going to look very odd. There is an extra 3mm spacing piece which I'm tempted to leave out to reduce the distance to 23mm which would look much better, however I'm slightly concerned about lack of clearance, so I'm going to experiment with it before coming up with a motorising plan. Actually I'd be interested to see what you are thinking of!

Cheers
Peter
Bishops Woodland Light Railway - Youtube

GAP
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by GAP » Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:57 pm

Phil.P wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:38 pm Somehow, I don't think time on the Ruby, will count?
:dontknow:
Perhaps I could pass Ruby off as a simulator, aircraft pilots use them so why not me? :twisted:
Graeme

DAVID L
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by DAVID L » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:35 pm

BWLR wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:41 pm

IMG_1704[1].jpg
That's actually a really good question, as while I have completed the body & roof I've not yet started on the underframe as I've been considering how best to motorise it myself! Having had a look at it this morning, I find there is a bit of a discrepancy in the kit with regard to axle height. The outside axleboxes (which are dummy ones) don't match height wise with the height of the axles if you fit them as per the instructions. The floor to axle centre is 26mm, while that on the axle boxes is just 21mm which I feel is going to look very odd. There is an extra 3mm spacing piece which I'm tempted to leave out to reduce the distance to 23mm which would look much better, however I'm slightly concerned about lack of clearance, so I'm going to experiment with it before coming up with a motorising plan. Actually I'd be interested to see what you are thinking of!

Cheers
Peter

Hello Peter, I've actually been talking to Tim, who produces Appletree motor/gearbox units. I saw that other people have fitted them to Occre trams by making proper metal or 3D printed sideframes with functioning axleboxes. It looked to me that there might be a way of attaching the gearbox to the floor, so the axles would not make contact with the dummy axleboxes. This interested me because I have an IP railbus with a rough and noisy nylon worm gearbox which bolts to the floor and supports the motor and axles, so the sideframes do not locate the axles as in the standard Ocre setup. Comparing various models, IP, Occre, etc, it seems that he should be able to produce a mount to fit his gearbox so that the axles are 21mm from the floor. If this works it would be easy to drop one or two motors into a tram or railbus with no further running gear mods. I'll let you know if he is able to produce such a mount.
wheels

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:47 pm

IMG_1704[1].jpg

Cheers
Peter
I am building the OcCre San Francisco Streetcar, which has bogies, Apple Tree was my first stop, however due to the narrow bogies the Apple Tree will not fit. I also have an IP Railbus, and have looked and ordered the Dean Goods replacement gearbox for the Railbus. Still awaiting to receive the gearbox so cannot comment further.

BWLR
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by BWLR » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:17 pm

DAVID L wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:35 pm

Cheers
Peter

Hello Peter, I've actually been talking to Tim, who produces Appletree motor/gearbox units. I saw that other people have fitted them to Occre trams by making proper metal or 3D printed sideframes with functioning axleboxes. It looked to me that there might be a way of attaching the gearbox to the floor, so the axles would not make contact with the dummy axleboxes. This interested me because I have an IP railbus with a rough and noisy nylon worm gearbox which bolts to the floor and supports the motor and axles, so the sideframes do not locate the axles as in the standard Ocre setup. Comparing various models, IP, Occre, etc, it seems that he should be able to produce a mount to fit his gearbox so that the axles are 21mm from the floor. If this works it would be easy to drop one or two motors into a tram or railbus with no further running gear mods. I'll let you know if he is able to produce such a mount.
wheels
Hi David, That is interesting as I was thinking about Appletree, so will await developments! By coincidence I also have a IP railbus which needs a better power unit, its a bit noisy but the main issue is that it won't go up one of my gradients without a bit of help. It was one of the first 16mm models I built a few years a go, and has been relegated to being a shelf queen, but I was intending to upgrade it.
Bishops Woodland Light Railway - Youtube

Fred Mills
New User
New User

Post by Fred Mills » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:40 pm

Hello out there...
Posting from Eastern Ontario, Canada; we are deep into the Winter season, with low temperatures, sometime dipping into the -20C range. So, there is nothing much happening out-of-doors, needless to say !!
We are however looking optimistically towards the 2022 Spring reopening of the IPP&W Railroad, by doing the maintenance on locomotives and rolling stock, in the workshop, indoors.
Check us out, if you care to on our Ottawa Valley Garden Railroad web page at: www.ovgrs.ca
One of the lads; Mike Hamer, maintains a blog, which keeps us all up-to-date on happenings...the link is on our web page, under "Mike's Blogs.
At the moment; I'm doing upgrades on a small fleet of old MDC Ore Cars; the ones that are from the same moulds as the ones currently being pedaled by Piko. They look and operate much better after being converted to Kadee body mounted 820 couplers. I'm also doing coupler conversions for a few other guys, mostly old Aristocraft freight cars, along with USTrains rolling stock.
I hope everyone is enjoying the idea and optimism of a great 2022 ahead of us...good health and happiness to you all.
Fred Mills send a note if the mood strikes....millsf@sympatico.ca

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:17 pm

Fred Mills wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:40 pm Hello out there...
Posting from Eastern Ontario, Canada; we are deep into the Winter season, with low temperatures, sometime dipping into the -20C range. So, there is nothing much happening out-of-doors, needless to say !!
We are however looking optimistically towards the 2022 Spring reopening of the IPP&W Railroad, by doing the maintenance on locomotives and rolling stock, in the workshop, indoors.
Check us out, if you care to on our Ottawa Valley Garden Railroad web page at: www.ovgrs.ca
One of the lads; Mike Hamer, maintains a blog, which keeps us all up-to-date on happenings...the link is on our web page, under "Mike's Blogs.
At the moment; I'm doing upgrades on a small fleet of old MDC Ore Cars; the ones that are from the same moulds as the ones currently being pedaled by Piko. They look and operate much better after being converted to Kadee body mounted 820 couplers. I'm also doing coupler conversions for a few other guys, mostly old Aristocraft freight cars, along with USTrains rolling stock.
I hope everyone is enjoying the idea and optimism of a great 2022 ahead of us...good health and happiness to you all.
Hi Fred,
I would say welcome to the forum, but it seems you've been a member for 3 years or so, so let's just settle on congratulations on your first post :lol:
I certainly envy the space you have for your club activities. Do you have railways in your own gardens too, or do you concentrate on the club layout? It's all good stuff anyway. Thanks for sharing.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:46 pm

Welcome aboard, Fred
Good to hear from you.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:08 pm

Fred Mills wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:40 pm Hello out there...
Hi Fred and welcome, though of course we know each other from elsewhere. After reviewing this forum, which you have been doing, you will find it quite different to the "other" forum.

GAP
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by GAP » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:15 pm

I have started ballasting and adding "grass" to the Cane Line.
I put the trial piece out in the weather in the middle of last year (2021) to see how it would standup after sun rain heat and cold it has not deteriorated at all.
The ballast is 7mm blue metal a type of rock used in concrete and by the fill size railways.
To hold it together I used 50/50 outdoor PVA and water with a few drops of washing up liquid as a wetting agent.
I sprayed the glue on which left holes between the ballast for water drainage, the ballast sits on shade cloth to stop it falling through the holes in the cable tray base.
Ballast Trial (2).JPG
Ballast Trial (2).JPG (91.42 KiB) Viewed 4830 times
Ballast Trial Piece
Cane line ballast and turf.JPG
Cane line ballast and turf.JPG (91.53 KiB) Viewed 4830 times
Cane line ballast and turf 1.JPG
Cane line ballast and turf 1.JPG (89.24 KiB) Viewed 4830 times
Completed section of track
Graeme

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:31 pm

That looks very good. I must admit that I've been a bit sceptical about the artificial grass in the past, but it does work extremely well in these shots.
Philip

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:00 am

Aye, the dearer stuff is a lot better than that dark green turf one usually sees for sale. I saw a pair of thongs in a shop yesterday - the soles were topped with that cheap turf. :roll:

Welcome to the forum, Fred! Hell of a setup you have, and the hand sanitiser tank is great, too.
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:02 am

philipy wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:31 pm That looks very good. I must admit that I've been a bit sceptical about the artificial grass in the past, but it does work extremely well in these shots.
Just what I was thinking. The artificial grass seems to work well in this situation

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

GAP
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by GAP » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:09 am

ge_rik wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:02 am
philipy wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:31 pm That looks very good. I must admit that I've been a bit sceptical about the artificial grass in the past, but it does work extremely well in these shots.
Just what I was thinking. The artificial grass seems to work well in this situation

Rik
I have metres of it left over from when they turfed around my pool, I asked "what do you do with the offcuts?" and was told "we usually bin it" so I asked for any offcuts they could spare and they unloaded their offcut bin in the driveway.
They were more than glad to be rid of it as they have to pay to put it in the landfill, guess I could claim recycling credits.
Graeme

DAVID L
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by DAVID L » Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:43 pm

Hello Peter,
Appletree have now produced a mounting bracket which should fit OccreTrams
- see my post
David

Scrat
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Scrat » Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:58 am

Latest project is almost finished: A Tgpps twin hopper grain wagon.
Welded up from lasercut 3mm steel sheet.

The secret is inside:
The roof sections can be lifted off. Front bunker contains charcoal, rear bunker has the barbecue set:

So when the railway session gets a bit longer (as it usually does), just fire up the barbecue.