So, what have you been up to with your railway?

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

So, what have you been up to with your railway?

Post by ge_rik » Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:19 pm

I decided to create this thread so members can tell each other about where they're up to with an ongoing project, or simply to post about something they've started or a quickie job they've done on their railway.

Maybe you feel that what you've been doing doesn't warrant a complete new thread - just a single post. If so tell us about it here.
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: So, what have you been up to with your railway?

Post by ge_rik » Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:22 pm

To get the ball rolling, I've been printing out slight variants on my original Southwold 6-wheeled open wagon. The dimensions are the same but this version has some additional strapping in the middle of each drop-down door.
IMG_2184.JPG
IMG_2184.JPG (555.77 KiB) Viewed 5779 times
While this version has the name of the local coal merchant on the side. I've raised the letters slightly to make them easier to paint.
IMG_2189.JPG
IMG_2189.JPG (821.57 KiB) Viewed 5779 times

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:28 pm

Whilst I was messing about, trying to get my Bachmann Lyn loco conversion of a Schull and Skibbereen loco working, I was sent a couple of Lyn motor blocks by very generous fellow members. One of them was from the more recent version of the Lyn (with a single small worm gear).

Unfortunately, the motor very quickly failed and the flanges on a couple of the driving wheels had completely worn away at one point on their circumference. I think it must have been from a display layout and had completed several thousand circuits of a piece of circular track.

Given it was sent to me for free, I certainly wasn't complaining and duly sent off for some replacement parts and also a few extras to be able to complete the motion. I now have a fully functioning motor block. Just trying to decide what to turn it into - all I need to find is an interesting a three foot loco with four driving wheels and outside frames .......
IMG_2186.JPG
IMG_2186.JPG (840.07 KiB) Viewed 5779 times
IMG_2185.JPG
IMG_2185.JPG (1.11 MiB) Viewed 5779 times

Rik
------------------------

GAP
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by GAP » Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:15 pm

ge_rik wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:28 pm Whilst I was messing about, trying to get my Bachmann Lyn loco conversion of a Schull and Skibbereen loco working, I was sent a couple of Lyn motor blocks by very generous fellow members. One of them was from the more recent version of the Lyn (with a single small worm gear).

Unfortunately, the motor very quickly failed and the flanges on a couple of the driving wheels had completely worn away at one point on their circumference. I think it must have been from a display layout and had completed several thousand circuits of a piece of circular track.

Given it was sent to me for free, I certainly wasn't complaining and duly sent off for some replacement parts and also a few extras to be able to complete the motion. I now have a fully functioning motor block. Just trying to decide what to turn it into - all I need to find is an interesting a three foot loco with four driving wheels and outside frames .......

IMG_2186.JPG

IMG_2185.JPG

Rik
How about "Germany" as seen on this page, she would fit the bill, 2Ft gauge but that could be altered easily.
I can get photos if you need some.

https://www.bundabergcanetrains.org.au/history/

germany.jpg
germany.jpg (27.55 KiB) Viewed 5739 times
Graeme
From the home of the Ringbalin Light Railway
https://ringbalin-light-railway.blogspo ... -page.html

BWLR
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by BWLR » Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:59 pm

As a bit of a diversion I've recently been working on an Occre Soller Tram car kit. I've got a bit of a weak spot for trams like this...

Body and interior are complete and once the roof is done, I shall work on how best to motorise it. Probably going to be spring until,its finished as I will probably move onto some other projects in between!
IMG_1704[1].jpg
IMG_1704[1].jpg (451.8 KiB) Viewed 5691 times
Bishops Woodland Light Railway - Youtube

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:37 pm

BWLR wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:59 pm As a bit of a diversion I've recently been working on an Occre Soller Tram car kit. I've got a bit of a weak spot for trams like this...

Body and interior are complete and once the roof is done, I shall work on how best to motorise it. Probably going to be spring until,its finished as I will probably move onto some other projects in between!

IMG_1704[1].jpg
What a beautiful looking tram.
Thanks for posting. It's just this sort of work in progress project I'd hoped this thread would encourage people to share.
Keep us posted as to progress.

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:41 pm

GAP wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:15 pm
ge_rik wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:28 pm Whilst I was messing about, trying to get my Bachmann Lyn loco conversion of a Schull and Skibbereen loco working, I was sent a couple of Lyn motor blocks by very generous fellow members. One of them was from the more recent version of the Lyn (with a single small worm gear).

IMG_2186.JPG

IMG_2185.JPG

Rik
How about "Germany" as seen on this page, she would fit the bill, 2Ft gauge but that could be altered easily.

germany.jpg
Actually, I quite like the look of the Fowler.

Rik
------------------------

GAP
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by GAP » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:10 pm

ge_rik wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:41 pm
GAP wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:15 pm

IMG_2186.JPG

IMG_2185.JPG

Rik

germany.jpg
Actually, I quite like the look of the Fowler.

Rik
The Fowler No3 (0-4-2T) is what I loosely based my Stainz cane steam loco conversion on.
Graeme
From the home of the Ringbalin Light Railway
https://ringbalin-light-railway.blogspo ... -page.html

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:49 pm

As some readers will know, I have recently been imagining steam powered vehicles based on plastic kits of Stephenson's Rocket, ones which he never got around to constructing himself, or could never have dreamed of for the future. Many of these are shown under... 'Rocket Man' in 'Open days and exhibitions' in this Forum....
IMG_8383.JPG
IMG_8383.JPG (92.85 KiB) Viewed 5649 times
I am constantly searching for new ways of interpreting steam power in different forms and have just discovered someone who is going further in this direction than me.... I'm not the only one in need of therapy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DGtf7a ... lg&index=2

I'm currently working on two new models using the same 'Minicraft' 1:26 scale kits and still have four more in stock, so new ideas are always welcome.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:25 pm

I don’t know if this counts. I’m kind of building a new coach and a new locomotive at present — but so many other things have got in the way I’ve not made much progress in ages.

One of those things has been dealing with my (very silly) web presence. It’s where I started testing and posting edited, toy train videos (a lot of the stuff has appeared on this forum).

Something has happened (presumably browser updates) in the recent past, so stuff that has functioned perfectly well previously, now doesn’t: automatic ‘page assembly’ animation now doesn’t want to load as it always has, for example, so I’ve had to fiddle with it, adding new ‘triggers’. And different browsers render HTML in different ways, so it can be difficult to be precise. All web design is a series of dispiriting compromises anyway.

This is a shameless plug and cunning ploy to capture traffic, of course. Desktop or iPad viewing best, not phones. Probably.

https://www.toytrainsinthebackgarden.co.uk

If a page appears to be blank… hit your browser’s refresh button

website_800_4.jpg
website_800_4.jpg (76.88 KiB) Viewed 5600 times
Just two of the many challenging pages

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:28 pm

BertieB wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:25 pm I don’t know if this counts. I’m kind of building a new coach and a new locomotive at present — but so many other things have got in the way I’ve not made much progress in ages.

One of those things has been dealing with my (very silly) web presence. It’s where I started testing and posting edited, toy train videos (a lot of the stuff has appeared on this forum).

Something has happened (presumably browser updates) in the recent past, so stuff that has functioned perfectly well previously, now doesn’t: automatic ‘page assembly’ animation now doesn’t want to load as it always has, for example, so I’ve had to fiddle with it, adding new ‘triggers’. And different browsers render HTML in different ways, so it can be difficult to be precise. All web design is a series of dispiriting compromises anyway.

This is a shameless plug and cunning ploy to capture traffic, of course. Desktop or iPad viewing best, not phones. Probably.

website_800_4.jpg
That's a really good set of web pages, only comment is that it takes a while to get where you want to be, so maybe a main menu that's easy to locate and select what you want to see in the order you want to see it? Other than that, absolutely superb, I sat there watching your layout and was thoroughly impressed all round :thumbup:
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:39 pm

What a fascinating mix this has generated so far.

Thanks chaps

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:46 pm

BTW - I'm thinking of a Kerr Stuart Skylark for the Lyn motor block. There seem to have been quite a few variants on the basic model.
KS 741.jpg
KS 741.jpg (59.83 KiB) Viewed 5578 times
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (7.45 KiB) Viewed 5578 times
965-0-885x551.jpg
965-0-885x551.jpg (92.18 KiB) Viewed 5578 times
Rik
------------------------

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:20 pm

ge_rik wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:46 pm BTW - I'm thinking of a Kerr Stuart Skylark for the Lyn motor block. There seem to have been quite a few variants on the basic model.
KS 741.jpg

images.jpeg

965-0-885x551.jpg

Rik
Just to let you know I will be doing a Skylark in the future too but it will be chassis and everything, motion etc. :thumbup:

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:37 pm

BertieB wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:25 pm I don’t know if this counts. I’m kind of building a new coach and a new locomotive at present — but so many other things have got in the way I’ve not made much progress in ages.

website_800_4.jpg
Bertie B,
It's a wonderful website - maybe as Steves said a menu would be a good idea, but it's a journey through the development of your line, and the linear (sorry!) approach works for me.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:06 am

-steves- wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:28 pm “…maybe a main menu that's easy to locate and select what you want to see in the order you want to see it?…”
Steves and Phil — Thank you very much.

Hmmm… Yeh. Perhaps I ought to make it clearer, with explanatory text up front, that blurb and pictures are to be found here and videos are there, so to speak: the links already appear at the top of (almost) every page. And there are the thumbnails too. But I did hope pages would be viewed sequentially, as Phil suggests.

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:02 pm

BertieB wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:06 am
-steves- wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:28 pm “…maybe a main menu that's easy to locate and select what you want to see in the order you want to see it?…”
Steves and Phil — Thank you very much.

Hmmm… Yeh. Perhaps I ought to make it clearer, with explanatory text up front, that blurb and pictures are to be found here and videos are there, so to speak: the links already appear at the top of (almost) every page. And there are the thumbnails too. But I did hope pages would be viewed sequentially, as Phil suggests.
No matter what you do from here, you have already done a fantastic job and it was lovely to watch :thumbup:

Seb_N&BLR
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Seb_N&BLR » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:40 am

I’ve posted one of these photos elsewhere, but thought I’d join the fun here as well :)

I recently visited a friend in Gloucestershire and got talking about the many small halts that existed between Gloucester and Chalford up in the Stroud Valley, where the local auto train seemed to stop at every crossing and lamppost. Talk then turned to the Tetbury branch where in the late 1950s BR introduced the Waggon & Maschinenbau railbuses as an economy drive and opened a number of small halts built out of sleepers, basic in the extreme! I thought one of these platforms would be ideal for the garden and it wouldn’t look out of place when most passenger trains didn’t stop…
C4880C97-E079-488E-9B2D-4CA5EF755555.jpeg
C4880C97-E079-488E-9B2D-4CA5EF755555.jpeg (1.4 MiB) Viewed 5051 times
A3ADA4EF-5914-48E4-9577-5BBD20C1F044.jpeg
A3ADA4EF-5914-48E4-9577-5BBD20C1F044.jpeg (2.47 MiB) Viewed 5051 times
The timber is various grades of stripwood painted with wood treatment and glued to a carbon board base; which I then buried in the ballast. The name board is just plasticard with a wood backing, and lettered using a white paint pen from Hobbycraft.

I may add a lamp but in some ways it works better without! Just need a railbus now…

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:19 pm

Jolly nice and very in keeping with the light/narrow gauge theme
Reminds me of the halts on some of the Great Eastern branch lines

Rik
------------------------

Seb_N&BLR
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Seb_N&BLR » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:48 pm

Thanks Rik, appreciate it!