So, what have you been up to with your railway?

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Re: So, what have you been up to with your railway?

Post by BertieB » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:06 am

-steves- wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:28 pm “…maybe a main menu that's easy to locate and select what you want to see in the order you want to see it?…”
Steves and Phil — Thank you very much.

Hmmm… Yeh. Perhaps I ought to make it clearer, with explanatory text up front, that blurb and pictures are to be found here and videos are there, so to speak: the links already appear at the top of (almost) every page. And there are the thumbnails too. But I did hope pages would be viewed sequentially, as Phil suggests.

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:02 pm

BertieB wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:06 am
-steves- wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:28 pm “…maybe a main menu that's easy to locate and select what you want to see in the order you want to see it?…”
Steves and Phil — Thank you very much.

Hmmm… Yeh. Perhaps I ought to make it clearer, with explanatory text up front, that blurb and pictures are to be found here and videos are there, so to speak: the links already appear at the top of (almost) every page. And there are the thumbnails too. But I did hope pages would be viewed sequentially, as Phil suggests.
No matter what you do from here, you have already done a fantastic job and it was lovely to watch :thumbup:
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

Seb_N&BLR
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Seb_N&BLR » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:40 am

I’ve posted one of these photos elsewhere, but thought I’d join the fun here as well :)

I recently visited a friend in Gloucestershire and got talking about the many small halts that existed between Gloucester and Chalford up in the Stroud Valley, where the local auto train seemed to stop at every crossing and lamppost. Talk then turned to the Tetbury branch where in the late 1950s BR introduced the Waggon & Maschinenbau railbuses as an economy drive and opened a number of small halts built out of sleepers, basic in the extreme! I thought one of these platforms would be ideal for the garden and it wouldn’t look out of place when most passenger trains didn’t stop…
C4880C97-E079-488E-9B2D-4CA5EF755555.jpeg
C4880C97-E079-488E-9B2D-4CA5EF755555.jpeg (1.4 MiB) Viewed 5049 times
A3ADA4EF-5914-48E4-9577-5BBD20C1F044.jpeg
A3ADA4EF-5914-48E4-9577-5BBD20C1F044.jpeg (2.47 MiB) Viewed 5049 times
The timber is various grades of stripwood painted with wood treatment and glued to a carbon board base; which I then buried in the ballast. The name board is just plasticard with a wood backing, and lettered using a white paint pen from Hobbycraft.

I may add a lamp but in some ways it works better without! Just need a railbus now…

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:19 pm

Jolly nice and very in keeping with the light/narrow gauge theme
Reminds me of the halts on some of the Great Eastern branch lines

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Seb_N&BLR
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Seb_N&BLR » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:48 pm

Thanks Rik, appreciate it!

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:39 pm

Seb_N&BLR wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:40 am I’ve posted one of these photos elsewhere, but thought I’d join the fun here as well :)

I recently visited a friend in Gloucestershire and got talking about the many small halts that existed between Gloucester and Chalford up in the Stroud Valley, where the local auto train seemed to stop at every crossing and lamppost. Talk then turned to the Tetbury branch where in the late 1950s BR introduced the Waggon & Maschinenbau railbuses as an economy drive and opened a number of small halts built out of sleepers, basic in the extreme! I thought one of these platforms would be ideal for the garden and it wouldn’t look out of place when most passenger trains didn’t stop…

C4880C97-E079-488E-9B2D-4CA5EF755555.jpeg

A3ADA4EF-5914-48E4-9577-5BBD20C1F044.jpeg

The timber is various grades of stripwood painted with wood treatment and glued to a carbon board base; which I then buried in the ballast. The name board is just plasticard with a wood backing, and lettered using a white paint pen from Hobbycraft.

I may add a lamp but in some ways it works better without! Just need a railbus now…
I think that type of platform was more common than you think - the up platform at Berkswell between Birmingham and Coventry was like that until well into the early noughties.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:40 pm

Aye, a very rustic feel to it, will look even better as it weathers and the weeds set in. That hand(sign)writing is impressively tidy, nice work. :salute: EDIT: I think it works best without the lamp, too.

Something I've been working on (though in the last 6 months I've only since primed it) has been this foamboard and styrene traffic office, modelled on the long-since demolished example at South Johnstone sugar mill. As sugar cane spoils quickly once cut, mills need a consistent flow of cane supplied 24 hours a day. Before computers and two-way radio, this was handled by the traffic office, communicating with loco crews by telephone and word-of-mouth.

Locomotives coming off shed would pull up at the traffic office, to receive the running sheet for that crew's shift. This told them how many empty trucks were to be taken from the yard at the mill, how many trucks had to be dropped off at the farms, where and when, etc. Same again for the return trip with loaded trucks. The building will stand on "concrete" (square styrene tube) stumps at about footplate height, and will include a basic interior and lighting.
Idea is to build a stockpile of small structures like this, to save time building the next garden line..
IMG_8577.JPG
IMG_8577.JPG (171.27 KiB) Viewed 4959 times
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:54 pm

Super job Aaron, really neat and tidy, a 'must have' for your cane line.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:33 pm

Looks great!
I've been trying to figure out if you've indented the foam board to create the weatherboarding or used strips of styrene? Either way, it looks very effective.

Rik
------------------------

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:41 pm

Aye, a good question Rik. If I didn't know Aaron's skills I'd have sworn it was a commercial moulding/extrusion of some sort! :)
Philip

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:47 am

Thanks fellas, was quite taken by the prototype. Currently too tidy for a sugar mill!
The only commercial bits so far are the Jackson's Miniatures windows and doors.

Aye, the walls are indented. The boards were marked out in pencil, then the surface of the foamboard pierced with a blade, (taking care not to cut fully through) which provides a sharp, defined edge to the bottom of each board. Cutting the lines does however give the walls a tendency to bow inward, so they need extra bracing to keep them straight.

The wall and a straight-edge is then clamped to the bench, and a wide screwdriver used to emboss the foamboard. This particular stuff from Bunnings is very hard, and is quite slow and painful to emboss. So each wall takes me a few days to complete, but it gives a far-superior result to just scribing lines with the screwdriver.
Merged_document.jpg
Merged_document.jpg (588.28 KiB) Viewed 4919 times
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Seb_N&BLR
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Seb_N&BLR » Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:02 pm

That’s very good, I really like the ‘lapped’ effect of the weatherboard walls. Top work Sir! 8)

pandsrowe
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pandsrowe » Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:58 pm

Not so much about what I've been up to, more a case of what I haven't been doing i.e. not doing proper maintenance. Over the weekend I removed all the buildings from my railway for their winter storage in the summer house and I was quite surprised at the deterioration that has happened this year. These buildings are all resin, built from kits supplied by two of the well-known manufacturers that frequent the major shows (I'm deliberately not mentioning any names) and have been outside for the summer for around seven or eight years. Generally each year there would be a few minor repairs to carry out, for example a chimney to reattach or maybe paint touching up here and there. This year however I'm going to have to do some serious repair work and virtually every building will need repainting. All my structures were assembled using exterior grade construction adhesive and in the main this has been very successful but this year a number of the joints have failed, the painting was done with masonry paint tester pots and again suddenly the paint has either faded or flaked off.
Now if this had happened on a gradual basis I could understand it but why suddenly this year? Has anyone else here experienced anything like this? I'm talking of a total of twelve or thirteen different buildings from small lineside huts to large engine shed sizes none of which are ever in direct sunlight. Interestingly none of my resin figures which are outside for the same periods have suffered with any deterioration.
Phil

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:49 pm

I've not yet brought my resin buildings inside - in fact they usually stay outside the whole year round. Just checked my blog and the last time I repainted them was in the spring of 2014, so I think they're probably in need a bit of sprucing up again.

https://riksrailway.blogspot.com/2014/0 ... rt-52.html

Not inspected them yet, but they appear to be still intact.

Rik
------------------------

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:25 am

Just catching up on this thread - what lovely work! Loving the wooden halt and the superb traffic office. The idea of building up a stock of generic buildings ready for the next railway is very good, should help to keep you motivated...

DAVID L
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by DAVID L » Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:37 am

BWLR wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:59 pm As a bit of a diversion I've recently been working on an Occre Soller Tram car kit. I've got a bit of a weak spot for trams like this...

Body and interior are complete and once the roof is done, I shall work on how best to motorise it. Probably going to be spring until,its finished as I will probably move onto some other projects in between!

IMG_1704[1].jpg
Hello-excellent work going on there. Would you be able to tell me the floor to axle distance using the original wheelsets, as I am cooperating on a possible drop-in motorised axle?

GAP
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by GAP » Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:19 am

After a nearly 10 years hibernation I fired my "Ruby" live steamer.

There is more to running it than just switching on the battery and running it.

Just like the real thing it requires oiling, firing, water filling and watching to make sure it does not run out of water before the gas runs out. It is supposed to run out of gas first but mine seems to run out of water first.

Good practice for when I go for my steam ticket on the 1:1 locos at the railway in the botanical gardens here, I will need 150 hours in my log book as a fireman/driver and pass an exam to qualify.
Graeme
From the home of the Ringbalin Light Railway
https://ringbalin-light-railway.blogspo ... -page.html

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:38 pm

Somehow, I don't think time on the Ruby, will count?
:dontknow:

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:42 am

GAP wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:19 am After a nearly 10 years hibernation I fired my "Ruby" live steamer.

There is more to running it than just switching on the battery and running it.

Just like the real thing it requires oiling, firing, water filling and watching to make sure it does not run out of water before the gas runs out. It is supposed to run out of gas first but mine seems to run out of water first.

Good practice for when I go for my steam ticket on the 1:1 locos at the railway in the botanical gardens here, I will need 150 hours in my log book as a fireman/driver and pass an exam to qualify.
My RH Fowler is also supposed to run out of gas before water, and when I enquired RH informed me on test it did, but after two years the water seems to go first, so much that I no longer trust it for a full run.

BWLR
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by BWLR » Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:41 pm

DAVID L wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:37 am
BWLR wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:59 pm As a bit of a diversion I've recently been working on an Occre Soller Tram car kit. I've got a bit of a weak spot for trams like this...

Body and interior are complete and once the roof is done, I shall work on how best to motorise it. Probably going to be spring until,its finished as I will probably move onto some other projects in between!

IMG_1704[1].jpg
Hello-excellent work going on there. Would you be able to tell me the floor to axle distance using the original wheelsets, as I am cooperating on a possible drop-in motorised axle?
That's actually a really good question, as while I have completed the body & roof I've not yet started on the underframe as I've been considering how best to motorise it myself! Having had a look at it this morning, I find there is a bit of a discrepancy in the kit with regard to axle height. The outside axleboxes (which are dummy ones) don't match height wise with the height of the axles if you fit them as per the instructions. The floor to axle centre is 26mm, while that on the axle boxes is just 21mm which I feel is going to look very odd. There is an extra 3mm spacing piece which I'm tempted to leave out to reduce the distance to 23mm which would look much better, however I'm slightly concerned about lack of clearance, so I'm going to experiment with it before coming up with a motorising plan. Actually I'd be interested to see what you are thinking of!

Cheers
Peter
Bishops Woodland Light Railway - Youtube