Fn3 and SM45

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
Tingewickmax
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: Fn3 and SM45

Post by Tingewickmax » Sun May 16, 2021 10:11 am

FWLR wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:23 am Thanks Rik, it is good to know that if members can get some more information on scales, helps them with their interest in our hobby.

There are people who come on to our site to explore and get some information because they are thinking of getting into 16mm garden railways. Maybe someone who has more knowledge than I can put a thread on the Help and Information page, so anyone can access it for help in choosing what could be what they are looking for...Just a thought... :dontknow:
If you are not already a member, or do not have his publication, could I recommend this - https://www.16mm.org.uk/publications/th ... modelling/ Supplied free to new 16 mm NGM members it's worth the joining fee on its own and covers a lot regarding relative scales/gauges/resulting sizes of model/prototype. And quite a few other things aside.

In my experience the use of the term "Fn3" is usually used in conjunction with US prototypes. "15 mm" usually denotes we are in the IoM or Irish teritories, or possibly Southwold (another scale story here apparently). With "1:20.3" we might be edging into the land of "freelance". All 3 foot gauge and the same scale. :lol: So if one converts, and there are a few examples here, a bona fide Fn3 model of a 3 ft gauged geared loco to 32 mm gauge have we now created a new sub division - FM 32 :D Max

By the way, another example of how small a loco can actually be in relation to another, similarly correctly scaled, item that it pulled in real life. There are constant comments that the loco depicted here is under scale. It is not.
Attachments
Bachmann 2-6-0 002.JPG
Bachmann 2-6-0 002.JPG (41.26 KiB) Viewed 3529 times
Last edited by Tingewickmax on Sun May 16, 2021 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Sun May 16, 2021 12:01 pm

I must admit I am a 16mm ish modeller. Anything narrow gauge goes, any era, steam diesel, I just don't care, I just do it for the passion. If one loco is a different scale to another, so be it, the coaches and wagons vary so much in size and height there is always something to put behind any sized loco.

The JW15 that Rod mentioned is indeed a tiny loco, but if you look at the pictures in real life, it is indeed a very tiny loco and an average person is way bigger than it and can only just cram into the cab. Also take the Corris railway number 9, I have never seen anything as funny as a person levering their way into the crunched up cab, it makes me chuckle, but in a good way.

A great example here. Number 9 is the little yellow one for anyone that is not aware.

The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun May 16, 2021 2:15 pm

In a similar vein, my Wickham trolley next to the Baguely diesel.
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon May 17, 2021 8:47 am

Tingewickmax wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:11 am
FWLR wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:23 am Thanks Rik, it is good to know that if members can get some more information on scales, helps them with their interest in our hobby.

There are people who come on to our site to explore and get some information because they are thinking of getting into 16mm garden railways. Maybe someone who has more knowledge than I can put a thread on the Help and Information page, so anyone can access it for help in choosing what could be what they are looking for...Just a thought... :dontknow:
If you are not already a member, or do not have his publication, could I recommend this - https://www.16mm.org.uk/publications/th ... modelling/ Supplied free to new 16 mm NGM members it's worth the joining fee on its own and covers a lot regarding relative scales/gauges/resulting sizes of model/prototype. And quite a few other things aside.
I am a member and I have been since I started my journey into 16mm garden railways 6 years ago, blimey (6 YEARS) still a youngster.. :lol: :lol: but I never got one of those publications..

Still not to worry, I enjoy the information we get from the members who are more knowledgeable and we can some times give back little tips or help also. It is a two way thing that makes our forum the best in my opinion....

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Mon May 17, 2021 8:55 am

FWLR wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:47 am
Tingewickmax wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:11 am

I am a member and I have been since I started my journey into 16mm garden railways 6 years ago, blimey (6 YEARS) still a youngster.. :lol: :lol: but I never got one of those publications..

Still not to worry, I enjoy the information we get from the members who are more knowledgeable and we can some times give back little tips or help also. It is a two way thing that makes our forum the best in my opinion....
Rod you should have received one last year, they were sent out automatically to all 16 mm members.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon May 17, 2021 9:01 am

Will need to dig all of them out then Jimmy, but I honestly can't remember if I got one... :dontknow:

Thanks for reminding me Jim. :thumbright: