Trackplans

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Trackplans

Post by ge_rik » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:46 am

I love looking at trackplans for layouts and I'm sure this topic would be of interest to anyone planning their railway.

I'll show you mine if you show me yours...... ;)
Plan.jpg
Plan.jpg (146.73 KiB) Viewed 6132 times

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

philipy

Re: Trackplans

Post by philipy » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:17 pm

OK I'll join in then.
trackplan post.jpg
trackplan post.jpg (114 KiB) Viewed 6126 times
Philip

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:08 pm

Here's a very rough one from me. It's a few years old now - the extra siding at Penlan, then just an idea, ended up on the other side of the line, parallel to the wood store. I may do a neater and updated version sometime.

Rik and Philip, I shall enjoy looking at your plans later on, thanks for sharing.

You're clearly a man of many outbuildings Philip - I'm surprised you haven't managed to get a siding into at least one of them!

Cheers.

Andrew.

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:38 pm

Andrew wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:08 pm

You're clearly a man of many outbuildings Philip - I'm surprised you haven't managed to get a siding into at least one of them!
The garage floor is level with the trackbed behind it so levels don't work.The shed beside the garage is actually SWMBO's Summerhouse and strictly off-limits. The one behind the garage is derelict and needs to come down before it falls down. The one at back LH corner is a concrete sectional job with corr iron roof which drips with condensation when it isn't frozen, in winter, and enough to fry an egg when the sun comes out in the summer. The small one next to that is a modern plastic thing with lawn mower and garden tools etc in it. Nowwhere suitable ( or large enough apart from the garage) for trains. :cry:
Philip

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:10 pm

'You have my sympathy! My old line ran through the shed, which also contained some storage sidings, but it was demolished (along with the railway!) when the house was extended.

A sturdy shed or two are a must for any future house for us - my wife and I would both prefer that the house wasn't full of toy trains!

Andrew.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:33 pm

This topic is a great idea - far better than my computer drawing skills! This is definitely not to scale and only indicative of the layout and alignment.

This is the Charnwood Forest Light Railway. Space constraints have required me to take liberties with the order of the stations, resulting in Anstey and Woodhouse being in the wrong order! It doesn't really matter as the functionality is the same. The whole thing is currently only about 60% built. To enable continuous running for testing purposes the headshunt at Shepshed has been extended to join the loop at Woodhouse. It also allows the quarry sidings at Shepshed to double as the Quarry sidings at Woodhouse, not an altogether satisfactory arrangement and one I'm working on resolving with a new link to a siding or two on the other side of Woodhouse. The line from Woodhouse to Abbey lane climbs at about 1 in 50, the rest is effectively level. The faint lines show the location of paths.
Track plan.png
Track plan.png (59.54 KiB) Viewed 6086 times
SVLR Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

JPM
New User
New User

Post by JPM » Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:37 pm

Ah, this thread can give some good inspiration, and possibly also feedback on my to-be-developed plan....
I 've just finished building my roundhouse Billy and started now thinking about constructing a track in the garden,
hopefully, it would work ok for live steam, the idea is to have a single track between the 2 loops
(some dutch words on the map; "boom" = tree / "huis" = house)

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:47 pm

JPM wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:37 pm Ah, this thread can give some good inspiration, and possibly also feedback on my to-be-developed plan....
I 've just finished building my roundhouse Billy and started now thinking about constructing a track in the garden,
hopefully, it would work ok for live steam, the idea is to have a single track between the 2 loops
(some dutch words on the map; "boom" = tree / "huis" = house)
Hi

Welcome to the forum, it's good to see how people plan their payouts and how they turn out :thumbup:
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:07 pm

Yes, welcome!

Looks like a good plan... I'm guessing you'll have a station or two somewhere? In the middle of the single-track, with a passing loop, maybe?

Thanks for sharing,

Andrew.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:10 pm

Soar Valley Light wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:33 pm To enable continuous running for testing purposes the headshunt at Shepshed has been extended to join the loop at Woodhouse.
I like that! On a future layout, in a bigger garden, I'll try to combine "real" end-to-end running with a continuous loop...

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:08 pm

No fancy computer graphics around here, the first image is the only one with more than a passing relationship to electrickery..........

The doctored Google Earth postcard puts the fictional TVT in context and shows the route overlaid on the area of East Gippsland where it may just exist in a parallel universe. The mainline starts at the head of navigation on the Tambo River at Bruthen, then runs north through Tambo Crossing, Ensay, Doctors Flat, Swifts Creek, Tongio and terminates at the old gold mining town of Omeo. There is also a branch that leaves the mainline at Swift's Creek and runs into the foothills of the Great Dividing Range to the west. This is the line with timber tram connections and terminates at another old gold town at Cassilis.

Until the VR built a broad gauge line from Bairnsdale to Orbost during the Kaiser's War, passengers and goods travelling on the TVT bound for Melbourne would have been transhipped to lakes steamers at Bruthen, taken to Bairnsdale or Sale and then transhipped again, this time onto the VR broad gauge Gippsland line to Melbourne. After WW1, with a direct interchange with the VR at Bruthen, the timber industry grew rapidly and kept the line open longer than might be expected.

Tambo Valley 2.jpg
Tambo Valley 2.jpg (215.31 KiB) Viewed 6024 times

This is a link to Google Earth, which allows zooming in and out to show the area in context and even cruise along the parallel road in streetview to see the country. There are even a few spots where if you squint just right you can see the TVT earthworks high up on the side of the valley.

https://earth.app.goo.gl/CqzwJH#googleearth

The second image is a drawing of the actual track in my backyard. This is the sole documentation of the real TVT, being used to both design and build the layout. The nearest this has been to a computer is when it was scanned to be posted here. I have major reservations about what the people that write CAD programs laughingly describe as a user interface and stick with a pencil, a calculator and a 40 yr. old desktop drafting machine. The write-up on construction is here.

https://gardenrails.org/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=11871

Tambo Valley 3 plan.jpg
Tambo Valley 3 plan.jpg (136.4 KiB) Viewed 6024 times

You don't have to be mad, but it definitely does help sometimes.

Regards,
Graeme

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:19 pm

Hi Graeme
Are you going to be able to simulate traversing the real route by x number of circuits before calling in at the through station which I think can be by-passed by the raised loop? Will the through station take on various identities dependent on where the train is on its journey?

Rik
------------------------

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:56 pm

This is my basic starter about 10" X 20" to find out if I was going to enjoy Garden Railways (only started in 2018). The proposed extension will run down the garden 40 - 50" dog bone and back, details to follow when I know ;)
20210228-Track Plan.png
20210228-Track Plan.png (112.03 KiB) Viewed 6008 times

thornmini
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by thornmini » Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:39 pm

Hi All --- I'm new to the forum but only as a member. I've immensely enjoyed following all of you and your exploits as a guest for a good while but felt a great kinship to fellow "garden railroaders" so I took the plunge. For this I must blame Rik whom I have "known" from afar through his wonderful blog, then onto G Scale Central and, finally to here. So, as a good place to start, here's my 'WALDEKER EISENBAHN":
Attachments
WEB MAP.jpg
WEB MAP.jpg (200.93 KiB) Viewed 5999 times
Waldeker EisenBahn

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:14 pm

Hi and welcome. That is an amazing layout. What are the dimensions of the garden?
Philip

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:35 pm

Welcome!

That's an amazing trackplan! Would love to see some photos of your line - can we persuade you to start a thread?

All the best,
Andrew.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:41 pm

Thanks for the feedback and thanks for inspiring us with such an impressive layout. I'm delighted to see that you have plenty of industries along your railway to generate goods traffic.

As Andrew says - love to see some photos.

Rik
------------------------

thornmini
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by thornmini » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:41 pm

Thank you for your fine complements -- always appreciated. I'm not exactly new at this (garden railroading) having started actual construction of my railway back in 1995. And as all of you also realize who have a layout of any size, it has been an extremely wonderful and fulfilling labor of love. To answer some questions:
Philipy -- the layout covers a length of about 110 feet by 50 feet and is raised above the ground level on an average of about 2 feet. Also like so many of you, I did an awful lot of research and listened to many comments from layout owners about a favorite and natural topic found in magazines and other forums --" What I would have done then due to what I know now" -- prior to starting a layout. So I am especially happy to have accepted obviously sage advice (particularly for my advancing age) by having raised the layout.
Andrew -- I would be glad to start a thread but I'm not sure how or where? Otherwise, I can certainly post pictures.
Rik -- Thank you and I always await news of your ongoing projects -- they are not only very informative but just plain fun to read. As for industries on my line, there are a number of others but I didn't want to clog up my map with a lot of words.
Thanks again to all.
Waldeker EisenBahn

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:54 pm

thornmini wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:41 pm I would be glad to start a thread but I'm not sure how or where? Otherwise, I can certainly post pictures.
To start a new thread simply go to the Railways and Layouts Board
and click on New Topic at the top Left corner, give it a title and write whatever you want to say ( with pictures!), Any problems just ask again.
Philip

thornmini
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by thornmini » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:58 pm

Thanks bunches Philipy for your quick reply. Now all I have to do is get some pictures together.
Waldeker EisenBahn