Trackplans

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
JPM
New User
New User

Re: Trackplans

Post by JPM » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:28 pm

Andrew wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:07 pm Yes, welcome!

Looks like a good plan... I'm guessing you'll have a station or two somewhere? In the middle of the single-track, with a passing loop, maybe?

Thanks for sharing,
Andrew.
Yes, I was considering making a station in the smooth curve in the middle.
Another idea is to place a switch just before this curve, making the loop in the back much larger (maybe hiding the track in the back a bit) and have a station at the frontside of that loop
Last edited by JPM on Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thornmini
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by thornmini » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:45 pm

After making a reply to Philipy about posting pictures of my WEB and thinking of my task ahead, I remembered an even better way of introducing the Waldeker EisenBahn to this forum. About 5 years ago, mainly for my own enjoyment (and for my "captive audience" of family members and some friends -- and also to see IF I could do it), I made a fantasy video of my Waldeker EisenBahn as an armchair trip along the line aboard one of my trains. At that time my railway was not quite complete as it is today, so forgive me for taking some creative license by filming some sequences for sections of track that were not really connected but which made the railway appear as a "whole". Also, to be fair and as a "warning", the video is a half hour long. There --- I think I have made things clear.
But as Phillipy, suggested and because it really is something other than a trackplan, I thought I'd start that introduction as a new thread/topic. So please come see my slightly younger WEB at "Railways & Layouts".
Waldeker EisenBahn

thornmini
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by thornmini » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:07 pm

Well I thought I was smart enough to add a Youtube link to my new post, but I'm not. Philipy or somebody --- HELP (but keep it SIMPLE please)
Waldeker EisenBahn

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:20 am

thornmini wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:07 pm Well I thought I was smart enough to add a Youtube link to my new post, but I'm not. Philipy or somebody --- HELP (but keep it SIMPLE please)
There you go..! :D
https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=9208

( It is simple, honestly)
Philip

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:09 am

Here's the plan of the Sandstone and Termite in 2021. It has reduced in size over the last 3 years.

The plan IS to scale. I know it looks pretty convoluted, so I added a simplified diagram on the bottom. Basically it provides end-to-end running from Termite to Sandstone and also allows 2 trains to run on a continuous loop around Termite, to Melaleuca (trains cross here) and to Maple Jn and around Lilyvale loop, and return.
plan 2021 with single line.gif
plan 2021 with single line.gif (64.16 KiB) Viewed 4824 times
Here is a line profile too, so you can see the grades. Trains from Sandstone face less grades as far as Melaleuca, but then it gets steeper, so operations need a big loco or a 2nd loco. Adds to the fun.
lineProfile2021.gif
lineProfile2021.gif (13.34 KiB) Viewed 4824 times
What I would really like to see here (or in another topic to be started) is the operations on each line. Some of us like lots of picking up and dropping off wagons, some like going round and round. I'm a bit of both. So I can do point to point with shunting and crossings on the single line. Or I can run continuously.

My line grew for about 10 years with many mainline extensions. Then I 'consolidated' for 10 more adding more crossing loops and extra sidings at stations etc., as I found the need for more shunting. A lot of this consolidation was due to wanting to cater for visitors with differing interests.
Then it started to decline as I ripped out track that was becoming too hard to maintain.
I have put together this short video that shows the 'rise and fall' of the SaTR from 1994 to now.

Greg from downunder.
The Sandstone & Termite's website: https://members.optusnet.com.au/satr/satr.htm

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:04 am

ge_rik wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:19 pm Are you going to be able to simulate traversing the real route by x number of circuits before calling in at the through station which I think can be by-passed by the raised loop? Will the through station take on various identities dependent on where the train is on its journey?
That was the theory behind the design and why there was also to be a small second station on the other side of the bridge, comprising a single loop.

Yes, the track is effectively an out and back with the third leg of the wye allowing multiple trips around the loop between station stops.

The three road station could thus be the southern terminus Bruthen, the large intermediate station at Ensay, the branchline junction at Swifts Creek and the northern terminus of Omeo.

The VR narrow gauge also had 'stations' that consisted of just a galvanised iron shed, or even just a nameboard, at the nearest convenient road crossing. One of these has replaced in theory the originally planned two road station, so it could be any one of several stopping places between the larger townships.

The branchline and timber tram traffic can also be worked with the three road station then being the Mt. Delusion timber mill yard, then the timber tram/TVT interchange at Cassilis and finally the branchline/mainline junction at Swifts Creek.

It helps to have an imagination, but with the TVT mainline being 60+ miles, the branch about 10 miles and the timber tram another 10 miles or so, an operator could stay amused for an afternoon with just three trains.

I should point out though that I'm a builder, not an operator. As with my HO layout, I'm likely to run the sequence a couple of times just to prove it works, then go back to my usual habits........... :roll:

Regards,
Graeme

Maple
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Maple » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:42 pm

these plans are looking great especially when i am fully converting end to end, i will find a way to put my track plan up :)
'Professional Bodge artist '

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:22 pm

gregh wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:09 am
What I would really like to see here (or in another topic to be started) is the operations on each line. Some of us like lots of picking up and dropping off wagons, some like going round and round.
I'd like that too! I think Rik must've written blog posts about his line, and posted videos here too, but an operations thread would be fun. I'm gradually evolving an idea for vaguely realistic operation, but am not far enough down the line (no pun intended!) to start a thread yet - anyone fancy going first?

I do love the look of your line - it looks like great fun to operate...

Andrew

GAP
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by GAP » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:40 am

Below is the track plan of the Ringbalin Light Railway Feb 2021. (Not to Scale)
The "mainline tracks are completed but will more than likely get a tweek in the near future.
The Sugar Mill precinct is the next thing to be tackled and it grew from my wanting to put a large industry as the centrepiece of my railway.
Issues of reaching into the centre arose so the next logical step was to build the industry and put a path and a series of lines around and through it.
This led to the next lot of thinking that went something like this;
Q "where does the sugar cane come from for the mill??",
A "the farms of course"
Q and "where are these farms located??"
A "they could be in the garden under the frangipani near the firepit"
Q "so that means a line around to there then??"
A"Yes".
A rummage through the shed unearthed a large amount of code 250 track that would work, "Eureka" was the cry thus a line is born.
Ringbalin_Light_Railway_G_.jpg
Ringbalin_Light_Railway_G_.jpg (70.46 KiB) Viewed 4734 times
Graeme
From the home of the Ringbalin Light Railway
https://ringbalin-light-railway.blogspo ... -page.html

thornmini
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by thornmini » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:35 pm

I love your "thinking" process --- "Imagination is the Mother of layout expansion" --- and, of course, your solution is spot on.
Waldeker EisenBahn

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:42 pm

Some very impressive plans and layouts here. Below is my layout plan (current), all at or near ground level (the end wall is raised approximately 3 inches above the lawn, with my version of "The Cob" adding a further three inches, to counter the slight slope down from the house to the garden end.
Garden Railway PlanD.jpg
Garden Railway PlanD.jpg (240.41 KiB) Viewed 2186 times
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:09 am

Some great track plans and some even more brilliant plans from overseas. Puts our little line to shame....

Love yours Phil (GWLR), simple and nice long runs, although my ever increasing pain in my back would be aching for days after a steam up....Still it would be worth it. :thumbright:

I have just finished the line over the waterfall and around the Anne's plant and through the Dogwood, well at the side of it. So when I can I will put the plan up on here.