Gauge 2

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
BEV551
New User
New User

Gauge 2

Post by BEV551 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:05 pm

Asking more in hope than expectation: is anyone else modelling standard gauge in gauge 2 (7/16ths of an inch to the foot on 2 inch gauge track)? The latest description of a garden line in this scale that I know of was by Tony Hobson in "Steamlines" no.4 March/April 1986. Do any of the collectors of those lovely Bassett Lowke items that occasionally appear on Ebay ever give their purchases a run in the open air? My stock is a bit more rough and ready. I note that Lionel "Ready to Play" is 2 inch gauge but I do not know what scale (if any) they use. These are toys but as the first ready to run items on gauge 2 for approximately 100 years I'm not complaining!

MRail
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: Gauge 2

Post by MRail » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:45 am

I recall reading that, of the numbered gauges system, gauge 2 had died an early death, being only a little larger than gauge 1.
Gauge 4 seems to have gone a similar way. A sad loss, as 5/8" scale equates to 16mm in modern terms.
Rob G
Madog & Mersey Railway (SM32)
In my Father's roundhouse are many loco sheds.

Nomis
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Nomis » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:24 pm

Isn't this scale known (confusingly) as "standard gauge" in the US?

I vaguely remember that American Flyer, and possibly Lionel, may have produced models in this scale....

Nomis
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Nomis » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:26 pm

My mistake - i was thinking of 2 1/8" gauge....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_ ... oy_trains)