The Guide to 16mm Scale Modelling

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

The Guide to 16mm Scale Modelling

Post by andymctractor » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:36 am

I'm not going to rattle on and on about the positives of this guide but :-
+ the layout of the contents
+ the quality of the photographs
+ the quality of drawings and sketches
+ the comprehensive choice of content
+ the feeling I have, that nothing has been included to fill a page or two
+ the fact that I will be reading the parts that i thought I knew enough about already
leads me to suggest this will be well used by old crusty 16mm chaps as well as newcomers and those thinking about joining us.
May i use this opportunity to thank all who contributed and those who stitched it together is such a professional way.
Brilliant.

ALSO, STAY SAFE EVERYONE.
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: The Guide to 16mm Scale Modelling

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:46 pm

Absolutely right Andy, a well produced guide with that 'something for everyone' feel to it. Photographs are particularly good and very atmospheric.
I have only skipped through mine but it will keep me occupied for many a long evening.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:28 pm

Has this just arrived? Nothing here yet.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:32 pm

Hi Rik, yes, delivered this morning.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:26 pm

Mine arrived today as well, just a quick flick through, and seems to be extremely :thumbup: informative

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:35 pm

No post here in Warrington today. The local Next Door Group have been commenting on the lack of posties in the area. Hopefully mine will arrive next week. Don't forget members of the Association can now read it on line if you can't wait.
Ian

River Lin
Fireman
Fireman

Post by River Lin » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:53 pm

Well done to everyone involved. Worth a years subscription on its own.
David.
David T.

RobRossington
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RobRossington » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:14 am

I’ve only had a quick flick through mine, but I certainly instantly stands out as a quality production. Very much looking forward to reading it properly!

Puddlejumper
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Puddlejumper » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:56 pm

Hi Guys
Is this something society members will be receiving as part of their membership or do we need to order a copy??
Thanks
Doug

Hopelessly bodging stuff into some sort of semblance of a railway up in the frozen wasteland of County Durham.
16mm(ish) scale NG on 32mm track

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:37 pm

Puddlejumper wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:56 pm Hi Guys
Is this something society members will be receiving as part of their membership or do we need to order a copy??
Thanks
Mine just came through the post and 16 mm NGM website say all members will receive one.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:53 pm

Hopefully, mine will arrive tomorrow...

Rik
------------------------

Puddlejumper
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Puddlejumper » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:46 pm

I see it’s actually on the members only site too, looks like a good read. Hopefully my copy will turn up in the next few days
Doug

Hopelessly bodging stuff into some sort of semblance of a railway up in the frozen wasteland of County Durham.
16mm(ish) scale NG on 32mm track

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:55 am

Hmmmmm .........!!! It is beautifully produced, lavishly illustrated and in the main well written, but.......

"In 16mm scale, battery power is almost completely confined to locomotives powered by internal combustion (IC) engines....."

There is one photo later in the booklet of a steam outline battery powered loco - an Emett style quirky model with the caption, "A steam outline model that is battery powered. An unusual and attractive model".

I suppose I can take solace from the assertion that it is an attractive model.

The booklet does reinforce the view that the hobby is almost exclusively for those who favour live steam running on 32mm gauge track. Or am I just being paranoid (again)!

Rik
------------------------

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:08 am

No, I don't think you are Rik.

They were not even interested as to why I cancelled my membership (and given my age you would of thought they would be interested in retaining younger members).

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:51 am

Agreed, Rik.
Philip

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:36 pm

ge_rik wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:55 am The booklet does reinforce the view that the hobby is almost exclusively for those who favour live steam running on 32mm gauge track. Or am I just being paranoid (again)!
Rik
Hi Rik, the hobby as it stands is very much in favour of live steam running on 32mm gauge track and the booklet does reinforce that message but that is understandable taking into account the history of 16mm. It is still, in my humble opinion, a very good read and very well put together.
I've experienced bad atmosphere from some steamy traditionalists when I've expressed my preferences for battery powered locos. Most of my loco collection will eventually be almost exclusively battery powered for both steam and diesel outline. This does allow for much more control over the starting/stopping/shunting etc. (Noting some of Riks videos) I will keep a couple of live steamers but they will probably be for through running when operation permits. My railway is a continuous run layout with long passing loops to cater better for them.
I think there is room for all of us in the Association. :shock:
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:34 am

andymctractor wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:36 pm
ge_rik wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:55 am The booklet does reinforce the view that the hobby is almost exclusively for those who favour live steam running on 32mm gauge track. Or am I just being paranoid (again)!
Rik
Hi Rik, the hobby as it stands is very much in favour of live steam running on 32mm gauge track and the booklet does reinforce that message but that is understandable taking into account the history of 16mm. ,.................... I think there is room for all of us in the Association. :shock:
I think you've put your finger on the nub of the issue. The guide has been written by the leading lights in the Association and so reflects their viewpoints. I think they have a tendency to view today's world through Backriscope spectacles. Hence, there is only one brief mention in passing of 3d printing, the inevitable warning about lithium batteries exploding and as much space given to 27Mhz and 40Mhz RC systems as 2.4gHz and 433Mhz.

However, I concede that the guide is intended for beginners to the hobby and as such does provide a useful introduction, though it does tend to steer them down a particular route. I just wish it acknowledged there is a far wider range of routes into the hobby (eg no mention of track power, no mention of PDF Models 3d printed loco kits, and no mention of HGLW, Phil Sharples or IP Engineering budget loco kits).

Rik
------------------------

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:03 am

I have to admit to not having read mine yet. Though semi-retired, I am still working (through this crisis), and with other past-times and the lovely whether I have been just too busy to stay inside and read.

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:33 am

Just finished reading through the Guide, and here are my thoughts, but first some perspective. Though been in to model railways for more years that I care to recall, I have only been Garden Railway modelling for just over two years, so really just a beginner.

So, there is some really good advice, and a few pointers, specifically in the track laying that I need to heed and will initiate in my own railway. But, as previously mentioned, even though the beginning give a quick nod to other scales and track power, the guide give no guidance to either track power, and seems to suggest that steam outline model locos are all steam powered, and only ICE engines are battery powered. I did also considerer that as a guide it should be purely objective in nature (though not easy to achieve) but was very subjective in places. Considering there were 10 proof readers, a number of typos, (though I am being pedantic here).
I would seem I have a lot of negative points, but overall I did find find it a useful read, and could be of much use to a beginner, though I would also suggest that if starting in Garden Railways other ligature should be sought due to the bias.

Paul_in_Ricky
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Paul_in_Ricky » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:52 pm

I thought the guide a fantastic piece of work. A superb production, well set out with a real high quality feel about. A brilliant feat for a small amateur society to acheive. It really is nit picking to mention the odd typo in such circumstances.
the guide give no guidance to either track power, and seems to suggest that steam outline model locos are all steam powered, and only ICE engines are battery powered.
That seems pretty pragmatic and current practice from what I've seen.
There are certainly quite a few steam outline battery powered locos about, the PDF range being the most prolific, but the main aspiration seems to be running steam in the garden.

Track powered locos seem a lost art in 16mm garden railways from what I've read over the last 18 months. I can't remember reading a single reference to it.