Running mixed trains

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Running mixed trains

Post by ge_rik » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:48 am

Just posted a blog entry about how I marshal and run mixed trains on the PLR. As many of you will know, I do like the logistical problems which shunting operations throw up on my railway. After reading the recently published book on the Southwold Railway where a whole chapter is devoted to operational issues, I felt it was time I formalised the way in which Mixed Trains are managed on the PLR.

https://riksrailway.blogspot.com/2020/0 ... rains.html

I doubt its content will appeal to the majority of garden railway modellers, but I found it to be a very satisfying post to work out and write.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: Running mixed trains

Post by FWLR » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:57 am

Very interesting blog that Rik. I may try some of it when I get to be able to build our line again, especially if I put some sidings in. I have yet to do any planning, but I do have some sort of an idea.

To flipping wet to do anything in the garden....Where is the :sunny: shine... :lol: :lol:

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:34 pm

Very interesting, thank you!

As my railway takes shape, and the rolling stock collection grows, I've been pondering similar issues, although on a smaller scale because I've only got three stations and few sidings, and because the WHR didn't seem to run many mixed trains. I'll be running coal, quarrying supplies, flour and other general goods up the line, and slate, granite and timber back down, and have come to similar conclusions re marshalling trains in a certain order and only shunting the intermediate station in one direction. Quite how often I'll run such a (relatively!) complex service remains to be seen, but I enjoy it in my head if nowhere else! I've similarly enjoyed picturing your operations from your blog...

All the best,

Andrew.

GAP
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by GAP » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:41 pm

Something I will have to consider when I get to the "town" area on my layout.
Graeme
From the home of the Ringbalin Light Railway
https://ringbalin-light-railway.blogspo ... -page.html