2mm green granite chippings supplier

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

2mm green granite chippings supplier

Post by andymctractor » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:29 pm

Hi, can't remember if I've asked before but I recollect reading someone found a supplier, I think in Derbyshire, that supplied 2mm granite chippings which could be used as track ballast which would look similar to that presently used on the Welshpool and Llanfair Light Railway. Any Ideas?

Thanks
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

philipy

Re: 2mm green granite chippings supplier

Post by philipy » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:03 pm

Hi Andy, yes, I've used this stuff:
https://resinbondedaggregates.com/produ ... ranite-2mm
(It does come in various particle sizes ). It's dead cheap relatively speaking ( Just over £10 for a 25Kg bag) but the drawback is their delivery charge which is about 50 quid I think!
I picked up a couple of bags a number of years ago when I was up in the area for work and just put them in the car, but the delivery charge makes it uneconomic for me now.
Philip

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:48 am

philipy wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:03 pm https://resinbondedaggregates.com/produ ... ranite-2mm
(It does come in various particle sizes ). It's dead cheap relatively speaking ( Just over £10 for a 25Kg bag) but the drawback is their delivery charge which is about 50 quid I think!
Thanks for the info. I agree that the problem with this stuff is the cost of delivery. However, I've gone for it and made an order probably ordering more than I need rather than having to make a repeat order and paying for delivery twice. Anyone considering ordering should note that the £50 is a standard pallet charge and the delivery prices that come up earlier in the website research are in addition to this for special dates or delivery times or for quick delivery options. I've gone for the cheapest delivery option so I'll have to wait a bit longer and am not able to request specific times of the day. I've waited 7 years to start ballasting my railway so a few extra days won't hurt. Plus, its too hot to do it at present. :shock:

THANKS AGAIN.
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:50 am

Glad to help.
I've still got a bit left, but I'm seriously thinking that when I need some more, it will be cheaper to drive up to Derbyshire and collect it!

BTW, when you get around to laying it, I find that gluing it down with SBR works well, although the initial colour is a bit scary and it may go white when it rains for a month or two. See various other threads on this subject.
Philip

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:20 am

philipy wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:50 am BTW, when you get around to laying it, I find that gluing it down with SBR works well, although the initial colour is a bit scary and it may go white when it rains for a month or two. See various other threads on this subject.
Thanks for that. I have argued before in favour of SBR as I have a ballasting test piece which is a driveway block with sm32 bit of track screwed on and ballasted several years ago. This has been lying around in the garden and is rock solid. I also used SBR to hold pigeon grit onto most of my platform surfaces.
I am only ballasting my trackwork that is laid on mortared bricks, which is all the running lines and platform roads. The sidings, which are on Filcris I'm just going to rely on ground cover to moss or muck it up a bit. :P
Regards
Andy McMahon