A bit of time in the shed

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Re: A bit of time in the shed

Post by -steves- » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:42 pm

DonW wrote: ↑Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:14 pm Hi Steve
there would of course be no advantage in driving from the jack shaft it was just a thought. On one of the threads someone is asking for recommendations on a battery loco to use to rescue stranded steamers (pprobably with train). Would your locos be up to that sort of job, obviously with suitable batteries and weighting? I like the look of the 0-4-0.
Don
Indeed, I agree, there is no advantage from driving from the jack shaft, but it would have still been nice to if it were easily done :)

The chassis I make use exactly the same motors and gearboxes as Essel and GRS chassis. They are heavier than the GRS ones as I, like Essel, use brass for the ends of the chassis instead of just sheet steel. They are pretty heavy as the entire chassis is made from sheet steel and brass, with steel turned wheels, steel turned cranks, steel con rods, stainless steel axles, phosphor bronze bearings and plastic gears which ere easy and cheap to replace but last a very long time. I have not tried to use one as a recovery loco, but if a standard Essel based chassis loco or GRS based chassis loco works, then these should work just as well. :D

I must admit my recovery loco I built used 2 GRS based chassis (before I started making my own) and I added a heap of steel underneath it. From memory I think it came out over 12lbs! (5.6KG) :shock:
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:12 am

I'am first in line for one of them...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BorisSpencer
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BorisSpencer » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:17 am

-steves- wrote: ↑Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:42 pm I must admit my recovery loco I built used 2 GRS based chassis (before I started making my own) and I added a heap of steel underneath it. From memory I think it came out over 12lbs! (5.6KG) :shock:
12lbs, I'd have to strenghten my track beds, the Comfrey and Geranium only has a Light Railway licence!

More seriously, if your looking to shift some units, PM me a price and lead time. Having followed your build thread they will be more than capable for my needs.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:28 am

Have to start charging you commission soon Steve!

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:54 pm

FWLR wrote: ↑Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:12 am I'am first in line for one of them...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That can happen if you like and quite soon. Would you prefer an 0-4-0 or an 0-6-0 with Jack shaft to start with?

Steve

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:03 pm

BorisSpencer wrote: ↑Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:17 am
-steves- wrote: ↑Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:42 pm I must admit my recovery loco I built used 2 GRS based chassis (before I started making my own) and I added a heap of steel underneath it. From memory I think it came out over 12lbs! (5.6KG) :shock:
12lbs, I'd have to strenghten my track beds, the Comfrey and Geranium only has a Light Railway licence!

More seriously, if your looking to shift some units, PM me a price and lead time. Having followed your build thread they will be more than capable for my needs.
I don't hide my prices as I know what GRS and Essel charge, 6 wheels take me an entire day in the shed, lol.

On a good week I can do an entire 0-4-0 chassis, assuming the wife isn't having a particularly bad day, if she is then shed time goes out the window obviously. 2 weeks for an 0-6-0.

The 0-4-0 comes in at Β£60 and the 0-6-0 with Jack shaft comes in at Β£90. Postage would be extra if needed but I have no idea what that would be, probably Β£10 to Β£15 due to weight, size and needing it signed for. Would be done at cost anyway.

BorisSpencer
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BorisSpencer » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:44 am

That's great Steve, if you could put me on your waiting list for an 0-6-0.
I've sent you a PM with my personal details.

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:31 pm

BorisSpencer wrote: ↑Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:44 am That's great Steve, if you could put me on your waiting list for an 0-6-0.
I've sent you a PM with my personal details.
Sorry, I read my PM before this, lol. Is that an 0-6-0 with Jack shaft? They come in a fixed length if it's an 0-6-0 with the jack shaft, otherwise without I have some scope to change the length.

Cheers
Steve

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:26 pm

Well yet some more time in the shed, these things are definitely breeding. A couple more people from our club are after a fully built loco and I thought it's about time that I built myself one. I will post some more pictures as time goes on :thumbup:

Last edited by -steves- on Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:33 am

Is that how you are sending the chassis out Steve, or have I been :withstupid:..... :lol: :lol:

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:06 pm

FWLR wrote: ↑Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:33 am Is that how you are sending the chassis out Steve, or have I been :withstupid:..... :lol: :lol:
The chassis will go out without buffer beams or foot plates, those ones will go out as full locos with radio gear and everything. There is a good picture of an 0-6-0 earlier in this thread that shows as they will go out, painted but no buffer beams or foot plates.

Hope that helps?

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:50 pm

Well after being quiet for a while there was a good reason. I had an order for a couple of loco's and I decided to build myself one as well. Note that all parts other than the motors, gears and numbers are made by me, including the buffers, wheels, well, everything else really :thumbleft:

I should also mention that I am no longer taking any orders for loco's or chassis other than those that have already been discussed with individuals. This is simply because I do not have the required time in the shed that would be required as I spend most of my day caring for my wife, I will continue to make loco and chassis, but I will only advertise what I have already made rather than to order. I am sure everyone understands :thumbup:

These are not quite finished in these photos, the blue one (mine) was finished in a matt lacquer and had Accucraft couplings added to it, as well as all 3 getting a bit of cab detailing, I will try and get some pictures down at out club of them, possibly along with all the others :)

Last edited by -steves- on Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:02 am

They all look very good Steve, I'm sure their new owners will be very pleased. I like the matt green one, all ready to be weathered.
Grant.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:49 am

Nice Steve. :thumbright: :thumbright:

How will mine turn out I wonder when I get my chassis next year..... :roll: :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol: