The Great Garden Railway Inspection Reports

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Re: The Great Garden Railway Inspection Reports

Post by Lonsdaler » Sat May 16, 2020 10:31 am

Andrew, that was superb - makes me quite nervous about the impending inspection of the Greta & Wenningdale. I have a strong suspicion that by the time the inspector arrives here, he will have become much less eloquent and artistic :lol:
Have you ever thought of writing children's books? You'd be a natural. :thumbup:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Sat May 16, 2020 10:35 am

philipy wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:21 am
Old Man Aaron wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 11:23 pm Surely with the hot weather abating down here, some more of our Southern Hemisphere members would be interested in receiving the inspector?
I had aways hoped that it might be that some of the southern hemisphere railways would use their summer to fill the gap caused by the northern hemisphere winter, but so far there have been no volunteers. :(
I can understand an (assumed) reluctance for our antipodean colleagues to become involved - I wouldn't think the Inspector would take too kindly to being transported so far by box!
However, if they coud be persuaded to appoint their very own inspector, maybe we could still see some reports, from a very different character? Just a thought.
Phil

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat May 16, 2020 10:50 am

Lonsdaler wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 10:35 am

I can understand an (assumed) reluctance for our antipodean colleagues to become involved - I wouldn't think the Inspector would take too kindly to being transported so far by box!
However, if they coud be persuaded to appoint their very own inspector, maybe we could still see some reports, from a very different character? Just a thought.
I would appoint Les Patterson.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat May 16, 2020 12:09 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for the kind comments about the inspector's visit here, which are much appreciated . As I mentioned earlier, it inspired me to crack on with some things, and encouraged me to look at the line in a new way too. I'm glad it also helped to explain the layout of the line too - I usually try to conceal how the two ends relate to each other in photos, but the inspector found me out!

He's packed up and ready for his next assignment. I agree that it would be great to get him over to the Southern Hemisphere - in terms of active contributors to the forum we must have almost as many lines from that side of the world I think, and they've got a very different feel.

Cheers all,

Andrew.

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Sun May 17, 2020 5:51 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 10:50 am
Lonsdaler wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 10:35 am

I would appoint Les Patterson.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Phil

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun May 17, 2020 7:56 pm

Lonsdaler wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 10:35 am I wouldn't think the Inspector would take too kindly to being transported so far by box!
I don't see why that would be a problem, he is made of a flexible plastic, nicely padded in a fitted foam liner inside his ABS box. A bit of gaffer tape to hold it shut and then a Jiffy bag should have it sorted.
Philip

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Mon May 18, 2020 1:11 am

Agreed. As I mentioned much earlier in this thread, I'd volunteer to receive the inspector, but it'll yet be some months before I'll have a line for him to inspect.
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:12 pm

The CHLR wishes to report the arrival of a mansized travelling case into its COVID quanrantine siding today.

A formal social distanced opening will take place this weekend and the special guest can begin his studies of the CHLR in its current (and historic) various guises - his report will probably be spread over a few days to help me fit it in around work etc including reviewing varios stock etc and also hopefully sending him back in a time machine to visit the CHLR in its old Kent location.

Our guest first will be put to use re-opening the station pub this weekend so that the grumbling employees can enjoy a pint

Now where did I leave that Tardis??????
Where did I put that uncoupler?

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:41 pm

Thanks for the update Mark. I must admit that I was beginning to wonder if he was on a ventilator in intensive care somewhere! :D
Philip

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:07 pm

philipy wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:41 pm Thanks for the update Mark. I must admit that I was beginning to wonder if he was on a ventilator in intensive care somewhere! :D
Apologies Mark and everyone - that was entirely my fault. I'd like to pretend that I've got a great excuse, but the fact is that I just kind of forgot - sorry!

I fear the delay won't have improved the inspector's mood...

Andrew.

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:30 pm

Oh heck - we'll have to batten down the hatches!

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:07 pm

Please jolly him up Mark for when he comes to my line. If you could do something to impair his eyesight as well... :lol:
Phil

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:38 pm

Well he's arrived at the HQ of the CHLR - I'll share his views and experiences at the current temp CHLR over the coming days and also send him back in time to visit the CHLR in its previous layout back in Kent vis the magic of a Tardis.

Anyway, lets look at his arrival - as previously advised, in line with Government Regs, his box was shunted into our Covid siding for 72 hours after arrival in Yorkshire.
arrival1.jpg
arrival1.jpg (142.54 KiB) Viewed 7937 times
After 72 hours we let him out
arrival2.jpg
arrival2.jpg (123.26 KiB) Viewed 7937 times
And straight away he found something - here is his first section of report:-

"After arriving at CHLR and having to climb down off the wagon without the benefit of steps or even a ladder being offered up (noted in my action point list which will be submitted separately) , I looked around and was shocked to see the lack of buffer stops at the end of the siding where the wagon with my 'box' on had been parked for the last few days - not only could the wagon have derailed but could have dropped circa scale 15 feet into the void that can clearly be seen in the photo below:-
arrival3.jpg
arrival3.jpg (101.45 KiB) Viewed 7937 times
I immediately raised this with the General Manager who advised me that the wagon had been chocked and also its own handbrake applied - he also advised there had been a loco coupled to the wagon till just before I work up and exited the box - mmmmmmmmm convenient perhaps - I have noted the need for a buffer stop on my action list.

The GM then advised I have a sit down in the beer garden of the railway pub and wait for the pub to ope"

More report to follow soon!

sjrixon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by sjrixon » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:18 pm

Anti gravity train?

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:01 am

Hi - sorry everyone but just not had chance to get around to writing more articles - work and living in temp accommodation with no railway mean the usual ops to develop content aren’t happening

Philip - can you ping the next person on the list to send me their address and I’ll send on the inspector to the next site so he can get busy again - he’s enjoying his furlough too much!

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:40 am

Hi - sorry Philip - just seems your message from earlier in the month - I’ll get in touch with Phil - cheers Mark

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:43 pm

markoteal wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:40 am Hi - sorry Philip - just seems your message from earlier in the month - I’ll get in touch with Phil - cheers Mark
Hi Philip,
Mark has been in touch. I need to get busy with brooms and paint brushes :? :lol:
Phil

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:34 pm

Thanks guys. We are all looking forward with bated breath!!
Philip

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:33 pm

philipy wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:34 pm Thanks guys. We are all looking forward with bated breath!!
Oh dear, don't do that, you may turn blue waiting... :lol:
Phil

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:35 pm

Just boxed him up ready for a visit to the post office on Tues - he was asking about whether he needed a mask in his box - never happy that one :D