The Great Garden Railway Inspection Reports

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
philipy

VOLUNTEERS WANTED

Post by philipy » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:42 pm

I think I'm right in saying that the Inspector only has one more Aussie line to visit before he moves on.
We therefore need new volunteers to be inspected! It doesn't matter where in the world you are, he has of course done the UK and has been to Russia and Australia. He is fully vaccinated and complies with all known Covid entry requirements, worldwide. So come on folks, sign up :lol: :lol:
Philip

Andrew

Re: The Great Garden Railway Inspection Reports

Post by Andrew » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:10 pm

Another excellent report, very entertaining, well done Jake! Some lovely photos too, I particularly like the ones of the inspector poking around the yard.

I think he's got the wrong end of the stick in the final photos though - he's not shrunk, that's just a MASSIVE loco. It looks very nice, by the way, do you have a picture of the rest of it?

All the best,

Andrew.

Andrew

Re: VOLUNTEERS WANTED

Post by Andrew » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:12 pm

philipy wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:42 pm I think I'm right in saying that the Inspector only has one more Aussie line to visit before he moves on.
We therefore need new volunteers to be inspected! It doesn't matter where in the world you are, he has of course done the UK and has been to Russia and Australia. He is fully vaccinated and complies with all known Covid entry requirements, worldwide. So come on folks, sign up :lol: :lol:
I wonder if any of our quieter members who don't normally post would like to take this as a fun opportunity to introduce themselves? Come on folks, we'd love to see pictures of your railways - and The Inspector isn't too scary, he hasn't actually shut any of us down, yet...

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:59 am

Aye, another very enjoyable report!
As an aside, I think that shot with "Pozieres" been the Inspector's first brush with a "Giant" loco?

Perhaps if the Inspector's current travels are indeed coming to an end, he might make some new rounds in a few years time?
Circumstance may have conspired against Mr. Spectre's intended visit to the Queensland canefields next year, :oops: But Scum Class Works (only an hour North of Potters Orchid!) would be very happy to meet his travel costs from the UK, once we can finally provide him a functioning line to properly inspect.

Well put, Andrew and Phil!
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:04 pm

I love that railmotor. I just wonder what the other two (or maybe more) look like .... :)

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:53 pm

Thanks for another entertaining report - Australia has proved to be a very fertile source for inspections!
And just to add to Andrew and Philip's comments - if you have never had an inspection, it really isn't as bad as it sounds, and gives a perfect opportunity to show off your pride and joy. And as has been mentioned, no line has ever been closed due to an inspector's visit. He's a very reasonable man. :lol:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

BWLR
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by BWLR » Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:22 pm

A mysterious packing case has arrived at Claxton Percy on the Bishops Woodland Light Railway.

The staff are baffled, whatever could it be….
AFB726D5-E99A-4F20-9D99-E80DD437237E.jpeg
AFB726D5-E99A-4F20-9D99-E80DD437237E.jpeg (513.5 KiB) Viewed 4659 times
Bishops Woodland Light Railway - Youtube

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:28 pm

BWLR wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:22 pm
They may wish they hadn't asked! :lol:

Glad to see he made it safely home again, though. Thanks to Darrel for his hospitality and to the Aussie post office for their efficient transportation.

Now if any other mugs...Oops, sorry... members, would like to have an inspection after he has finished with the BWLR, please drop me a PM.
Philip

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:59 am

I missed hearing from the Inspector. Looking forward to his latest report. :D
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:40 am

Ooh,
Back in North Yorkshire. Keep an eye on him - he has an eye for the ladies. And the drink. And just about any vice you can name!
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Scrat
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Scrat » Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:56 am

I might also have him but surely would be written up for being out of scale (running 5" gauge).

Melbournesparks
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Melbournesparks » Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:42 pm

BWLR wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:22 pm A mysterious packing case has arrived at Claxton Percy on the Bishops Woodland Light Railway.

Great to see the inspector's adventures continue!

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:39 pm

Scrat wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:56 am I might also have him but surely would be written up for being out of scale (running 5" gauge).
I see no reason why that would be a hindrance. If you look at the forum masthead, it says "An international forum for garden railway modellers in all scales and gauges."

If you want him to visit you, I'll put you on the list?
Philip

BWLR
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by BWLR » Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:00 pm

philipy wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:39 pm
Scrat wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:56 am I might also have him but surely would be written up for being out of scale (running 5" gauge).
I see no reason why that would be a hindrance. If you look at the forum masthead, it says "An international forum for garden railway modellers in all scales and gauges."

If you want him to visit you, I'll put you on the list?
Please do get on the list, as his bar bill is horrendous, so the BWLR can’t afford to put him up forever… :lol:

Peter
Bishops Woodland Light Railway - Youtube

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed May 03, 2023 2:16 pm

It is probably not widely known that Mr I.N. Spectre is actually not the only member of his department, there is a 'backroom boy' who for some reason seems to be of French origin, Monsieur L.E DePuty. He seems to get on extremely well with the lads from the E&D PW Dept who, for their own reasons no doubt, keep on his good side by plying him with his favourite tipple, which being French, is wine of the sparkling variety.
The lads all went on holiday to S.Wales recently and took their Wickham trolley to use as transport whilst exploring. Imagine our Frenchman's joy when he realised that they were staying only a short distance from a preserved railway which M. DePuty had read about many times in learned journals and which fitted his drinking habits well, BURPS!
Arrangements were made to visit the line on a couple of occasions and a very pleasant and convivial time was had. In order to justify his expense account claim, M. DePuty did a fairly cursory inspection of the line whilst he was there (I have translated it into English for the record):

I commenced my inspection at the line's main terminus in Umbridge. A very well appointed station and very well kept. Most unusual for a narrow gauge line but presumably as a result of the preserved line character. I understand that this entire station was dismantled and transported from it's original location in the W.Midlands and re-erected here in Wales as part of the preservation movement. An excellent job!

DSC_0011.JPG
DSC_0011.JPG (492.67 KiB) Viewed 4346 times

Moving out of the covered train shed and into the countryside, I came across a small, very unusual 0-4-0 tram type loco, with exposed side mounted, vertical motion. It ran very well but I have to question the Health and Safety aspects of that mechanism. Also unusual was the colour scheme of Royal Purple. I had assumed that this was in honour of the forthcoming Coronation, but I believe that the new King is called Charles not Dennis?

DSC_0023.JPG
DSC_0023.JPG (3.71 MiB) Viewed 4346 times

Moving on, a very fine Double Fairlie "Merddyn Emrys" was waiting at the head of it's train at the next station. Beautifully kept and a lovely smooth mover, it is a pleasure to watch.

DSC_0006.JPG
DSC_0006.JPG (557.52 KiB) Viewed 4346 times

In general the trackwork is well maintained and there is little to find fault with, so I will append a couple of pictures here of general interest to set the scene.

DSC_0007.JPG
DSC_0007.JPG (8.37 MiB) Viewed 4346 times
DSC_0008.JPG
DSC_0008.JPG (458.31 KiB) Viewed 4346 times

Whilst out and about, I was pleased to see one unusual working, the railway's own fire brigade passed me on a training run. Fortunately their services have never been called upon in reality but I imagine they would be very efficient in the event of a fire or other disaster.

DSC_0009.JPG
DSC_0009.JPG (409.25 KiB) Viewed 4346 times

Having said that, there was very nearly a nasty incident which might have been a call on their professional skills. Merddin Emrys with a train full of tourists rounded a curve to find a strange little "FeldTraktor" of Austrian origin pottering about at random without due authorisation! Stern words were had with the driver and the offending vehicle was removed without any more ado.

DSC_0010.JPG
DSC_0010.JPG (3.76 MiB) Viewed 4346 times

The E&D PW lads in their Wickham trolley. They had just dropped me off to look at some stock and I took this as they passed me by.

DSC_0005.JPG
DSC_0005.JPG (543.99 KiB) Viewed 4346 times

I would like to end this report with a word of thanks to the manager of the line, and his good lady, for their hospitality, coffee and super delicious home made cake!
Philip

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu May 04, 2023 12:05 pm

A deputy (or DePuty) eh?? Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the garden...

Well, just like his boss, he writes an excellent report - and it looks to me like he had a very nice time.

I do like to see one Forum-ite's stock at work on another's line!

Thanks for the report,

Andrew.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu May 04, 2023 1:07 pm

Very enjoyable read, Peter. I especially like the rusting effect on the gates.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Thu May 04, 2023 2:16 pm

That's not rust!

The gates would obviously be made from wood, and the paint is peeling off. :geek :lol:

Phil.P

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Thu May 04, 2023 2:44 pm

Phil.P wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 2:16 pm The gates would obviously be made from wood, and the paint is peeling off. :geek :lol:
The horizontal rods would be metal?

Looking at older photos, I think the rust effect may be naturally achieved?

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu May 04, 2023 4:34 pm

ge_rik wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 1:07 pm Very enjoyable read, Peter. I especially like the rusting effect on the gates.

Rik
Not rust Rik, just a few years of very careful neglect!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?