The Great Garden Railway Inspection Reports

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
Andrew

Re: The Great Garden Railway Inspection Reports

Post by Andrew » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:24 pm

DonW wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:10 pm I enjoyed that. Those cranes look very interesting.

Don
Nice to see Rocket too... Great report, thank you! Andrew

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:56 am

ruby wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:09 pm
Lonsdaler wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:53 pm :lol: What state will he be in when (if!) he comes home? :lol:
:lol: oh dear, could be a medicair evacuation will be required!
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:40 am

Oh dear.... it appears he has succumbed to the demon drink since he was entertained at the BURPS.... I hope one of his future visits will include a re-hab session so he can continue with his work.
Perhaps a new successor could be trained during his absence?
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:33 pm

This is a report from the FWLR Line from Rod's partner Anne. A couple of members know why and that's also why it is a short report with the photo's.

After a very long trip from that beautiful Russia City of Moscow I finally arrived back in the UK at a line in Lancashire called Fairy Wood Light Railway. After my long trip I was not feeling too well, must have been all that Russian Vodka... :lol: :lol:

The visit was interesting when I arrived to somewhat deserted line, I found out later that the main reason is that the line is closing, but apparently it will be opened again when a lot of finance from the Directors is used to improve the running costs...So here I go with a shorted report, but you will see the line was very informative with the photos that are shown to you.

I firstly went to the small Slate Mine, that was still working, though at a vastly reduced capacity.
DSCN4154.JPG
DSCN4154.JPG (494.01 KiB) Viewed 12030 times
DSCN4155.JPG
DSCN4155.JPG (484.09 KiB) Viewed 12030 times
The local wildlife are slightly bigger here for some reason!!

The rest of my visit consisted of meeting the line workforce, but there was some slacking going on with leaves and bicycles being left cluttering the line, plus one worker who spent an awful long time in the toilet.
DSCN4156.JPG
DSCN4156.JPG (466.52 KiB) Viewed 12030 times
Talking to a couple of the Permeant Way Gang
DSCN4157.JPG
DSCN4157.JPG (474.86 KiB) Viewed 12030 times
Mr Lazy, the engine driver, keeping up with his reputation...
DSCN4158.JPG
DSCN4158.JPG (484.8 KiB) Viewed 12030 times
Next I paid a visit to the station and had a chat with the relief driver waiting for Mr Lazy's coal train.
DSCN4159.JPG
DSCN4159.JPG (489.75 KiB) Viewed 12030 times
While I was there, I saw this chap waiting for a shoe shine boy !!!!
DSCN4160.JPG
DSCN4160.JPG (498.38 KiB) Viewed 12030 times
I caught the Tram to Fairy Wood Hamlet..
DSCN4161.JPG
DSCN4161.JPG (458.34 KiB) Viewed 12030 times
Arriving at the Hamlet, I could see why it was so untidy...
DSCN4162.JPG
DSCN4162.JPG (452.27 KiB) Viewed 12030 times
There was some leaves on the track and also someone had left his bicycle on it. So a call to the PWG was in order..
DSCN4163.JPG
DSCN4163.JPG (458.11 KiB) Viewed 12030 times
DSCN4164.JPG
DSCN4164.JPG (470.85 KiB) Viewed 12030 times
Next I came across another PW Gang, just about to start digging a hole for some electrics to go into a shed for them along the line.
DSCN4165.JPG
DSCN4165.JPG (467.51 KiB) Viewed 12030 times
After talking with the Gang outside the local garage, a couple of cars did catch me eye...
DSCN4167.JPG
DSCN4167.JPG (464.71 KiB) Viewed 12030 times
DSCN4168.JPG
DSCN4168.JPG (478.18 KiB) Viewed 12030 times
I do quite like that BRG MK2 Jaguar....

Next taking a look at the PW Crane in action about to lift some points...With me in the Cab directing the Crane Driver...
DSCN4169.JPG
DSCN4169.JPG (482.64 KiB) Viewed 12030 times
DSCN4172.JPG
DSCN4172.JPG (476.13 KiB) Viewed 12030 times
After a very long and hot day, I was contemplating going for a swim in the local pond.
DSCN4171.JPG
DSCN4171.JPG (472.48 KiB) Viewed 12030 times
I am now on my way to the next location hoping that the line doesn't have such lazy workforce working for it. But all in all, the line has plenty of scope and will only get better with some very hard work on it.

Hope you liked my take on our line while Rod is indisposed.
Attachments
DSCN4170.JPG
DSCN4170.JPG (488.85 KiB) Viewed 12030 times
DSCN4173.JPG
DSCN4173.JPG (478.42 KiB) Viewed 12030 times

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:48 pm

Anne, Thank you very much for the inspectors report. TBH, knowing that Rod was poorly again, I wasn't expecting anything at all, so this is brilliant and well in keeping with his earlier inspections.
Do please pass on my best wishes to Rod.
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:53 pm

Well done Anne, Rod should be pleased with his Deputy's report...... nice pictures.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:19 pm

Great report, thank you - and some views of the line that I've not seen before too! If the worst the inspector's got to moan about is a rather laid-back approach by the staff and the odd leaf on the line, you must be doing something right!

With very best wishes to you both,

Andrew.

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:25 pm

An enjoyable report Anne. I hope Rod gets well soon.
Phil

DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DonW » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:46 pm

A lovely look round the line. I hope Rod will soon be better.

Don

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:57 am

Interesting, entertaining and informative. I wonder if the awaited report into HS2 is going to be up to this standard :? :lol:
Give my best wishes to Rod.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:44 am

Firstly I must give my thanks to my Anne for her brilliant report. You did a great job Princess.

Thanks also for everyones kind words while I was disposed. I am back now, but my time viewing and commenting will just be kept to a minimum for some weeks yet. It is painful just writing this.... :(

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:34 am

Welcome back Rod. Take it slow and easy. :thumbup:
Phil

RobRossington
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RobRossington » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:10 am

Mr I.N. Spectre here, Good Evening from Liverpool!

I arrived in this part of the world over a week ago, but unfortunately couldn’t be granted access to the railway (something about the weather and various other issues apparently) but the General Manager kindly put me up in the local hotel. I must say it was a very nice establishment and I was kept well lubricated (I must have something of a reputation!).

I finally received the call I have been waiting for yesterday afternoon, and so this morning I made my way to Charlwood Station.
My arrival was relatively unnoticed, the station being very quiet this early in the morning.

The quietness allowed me to have a good look at some of the rolling stock stabled in the various sidings around the station.
I must say that looking at the state of this particular wagon I did not hold out much hope for the rest of my visit!

The goods facilities seem to be kept well in order, however was later told that there is normally a crane on this goods platform that has been removed for repairs (something about a giant dog, I’m wondering if the locals are a bit strange?). I imagine this crane makes the platform quite cramped, so I find it difficult to believe that it is a safe place of work! Perhaps that is the real reason the crane was removed before my visit?

I then took a look at the signal box. I must say I was not expecting the disarray I found it in, with its leaky roof and damaged lever frame. I later questioned the GM about this and was informed that it was currently not in use as there had been a major rebuild of the station earlier in the year. He assured me that the box would be improved over the winter.

The signal box does contain the Tyrer’s Electric token machine which is used on all of the single line sections of the railway.

I took a brief look at the end of the line to assertion what measures had been put in place to protect the village square. The buffer stop is quite substantial but I must insist that it is fitted with a red lamp in the near future.

I then took a walk over to the locomotive shed, where I found the railway’s main steam fleet ready for inspection. I was shown around by the chief engineer (who also appears to be the GM, unless he has a twin?). The locomotive fleet was well turned out, with a nice work worn look to them. They appeared to be in excellent mechanical condition.

I was surprised to hear that Locomotive No.1 ‘Lady May’ was intended for mixed traffic use, despite not being fitted with the automatic vacuum brake. The CME seemed to be somewhat taken aback by my suggestion that it should be fitted, insisting that the safety chains were sufficient!

Luckily, No.3 is fitted with Vacuum Brakes and appears to be the main passenger locomotive.

I was shown around the newest item of passenger rolling stock which is a very American looking carriage. I was quite impressed with the fit and finish of this vehicle, and yes, it is fitted with vacuum brakes!

(I could probably do with a bit more headroom!)

I had been promised a cab ride along the railway and had hoped to be taken in No.1, however some sort of issue with an oil can and some concerns that I might melt on the footplate meant that this had to be abandoned (on the latter point, I have no idea what they mean, it’s not like I’m made of plastic or something, is it?).

Instead, I was taken out on No.9, the railways newest diesel locomotive. Now when I was told I would be travelling by diesel I had assumed a small simplex or similar would turn up. I was quite surprised when such a large loco appeared!

[video] https://youtu.be/O88d2_h4tzI[/video]

Now the ride was fairly uneventful, however some of the greenery gets a little close for comfort!

I was keen to take a look at rail wear patterns on the sharp bends approaching Top-End. This does appear to be quite severe, but I was assured by the permanent way manager (another bloke who looks very much like the GM and CME...) that rails are turned and replaced regularly. He also told me in great detail about the improvements they have made to the track around here over the last few years, which have greatly reduced problems. I must recommend that check rails are fitted, particularly where there is a sudden change in direction.

I did NOT appreciate the diesel drivers attempts to sneak up on me....

Next was a visit to the new (unfinished) top end station.

Facilities appear to be good, however I was a little dismayed to find that some of the platform edging has been damaged already. Again the giant dog was mentioned, I’m putting that down to too much whisky.

I was then taken over to the wharf, where I was able to inspect some more rolling stock and some new sidings.

Somewhat alarmingly, No.2 siding does not have a buffer stop, leaving a rather large drop unguarded! I am assured that this siding is currently clipped and scorched out of use, but was not shown said clip or scotch. :scratch:

The level crossing leading to the wharf needs proper signage too.

It was soon time to continue, so we rebounded No.9;

I asked a number of times where this door leads, but was told it was a secret. I suspect it’s where they keep the scotch, or the giant dog...

Going back to signage, some limited clearance signs are definitely in order here!

Back at Charlwood I was given more time to look over the locomotives, starting with No.9 ‘Lord of the Isles’

Apparently this locomotive was built for the BTC, as a potential way of keeping the BR narrow gauge lines open. I must admit I am somewhat fond of it, the locals assure me that it is a ‘hellfire machine’? I shall take their word for it.

The steam fleet;

I was then handed to the S&T manager (he definitely bears a passing resemblance to somebody, but I can’t quite put my finger on it) who showed me detailed plans for the signalling of the line that will hopefully be installed next year. These will work alongside the ETS system, not replace it;

I was also shown some drawings of a potential extension;

Overall the visit was a most enjoyable one, and I see no major reason to close the railway down. I must however insist that the recommendations made within this report be implemented within the next year, or there will be consequences!

Yours,

Mr I.N. Spectre.

(P.s. I think I may have gone a little overboard, Rob)

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:12 am

Great report Rob. :thumbright:

DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DonW » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:10 am

Hi Rob
you commented '(P.s. I think I may have gone a little overboard, Rob)'

I would say not at all Rob it was a refreshingly honest report pointing out all those areas where you have little jobs needed to bring it up to the standard you want. I think most of us could find a similar list of little things that need attention. As for the Giant Dog they do seem to be a common problem along with other wildlife. I very much enjoyed the pictures.

Don

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:52 am

Thanks Rob, great report from the inspector, and nice views of your line.
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:44 pm

Glad to see Mr I N Spector out of rehab, he is back to his efficient self and sending appropriate reports.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:20 pm

Great report, thank you! I think the inspector was very lucky to get a cab ride in so fine a loco as "Lord of the Isles"...

Rather alarming though that he seems almost disappointed not to find a reason to close a line down - is he some relation to Dr Beeching?! I'm watching with trepidation how number of lines to go before he visits the (WH)WHR gets ever smaller...

Thanks again,

Andrew.

CSL
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by CSL » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:20 pm

Has Mr Spectre gone into hibernation? I confess that I was late responding but I provided an address in mid-November and am not sure whether it got through by PM.

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:43 pm

CSL wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:20 pm Has Mr Spectre gone into hibernation? I confess that I was late responding but I provided an address in mid-November and am not sure whether it got through by PM.
PM sent to both of you, but I know that Rob has received your address.
Philip