Garden Rail Magazine

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
practical_phil
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: Garden Rail Magazine

Post by practical_phil » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:31 pm

sjrixon wrote: ↑Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:00 am Pocketmags should enable you to buy one.

New one today, lots of extra pictures! Really nice to see GR making more use of the technology.
Thanks - It's a toe in the water for us. Sister magazine BRM goes further than pretty much any title from any publisher (including non-railway ones) with digital issues. There's usually a massive amount of extra content. Talking of which, we have the 16mm scale Vale of Weedol in BRM this month.

GR has less staff, and a much lower budget, so digital extra can't be as thick on the ground, but I aspire to do more. We usually end up with more photos than we can fit on the page, so some extra image galleries are a good place to start.
Editor Garden Rail magazine

Tom85
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Tom85 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:45 pm

Excellent - many thanks Phil.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:57 am

Received Augusts issue yesterday and I have to say, though it is thin again, the amount of some interesting articles is very good. There is an article, the first one in the magazine about something a lot of us try to do. Building on a budget! Tells you about turning a fishpond into mountains. A very good read that. There are loads of others, one is building a Kippo Model's GWR Signal Box. I myself haven't heard of Kippo Model's, I am sure other members will have. And it's Gauge 3. A rolling stock article, lots of construction builds this month, even one from the editor, which some will find interesting. Review on the Accucraft Dolgoch. A few new products have been announced and one that has kind of come to my attention, for what I am contemplating to buy one day ( a 3D printer ) is a company called ALD Print, that has produced a file to download and print a Gauge 1 16 ton mineral wagon. It can be scaled up, which when I buy a printer I will bending more competent members ears...
There is a lot to read this month and I really enjoyed all of the articles.

BorisSpencer
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BorisSpencer » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:50 pm

I wonder if Rik will be holding a ceremony to rename is line in readiness for September's issue.

Clue: P47 of August's mag.

practical_phil
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by practical_phil » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:06 pm

BorisSpencer wrote: ↑Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:50 pm I wonder if Rik will be holding a ceremony to rename is line in readiness for September's issue.

I'm working on the article right now and will do my best to spell it properly this time! When I put that page together, we were in the middle of preparing the Virtual Show so I struggled to remember what day of the week it was if I'm honest. This time the biggest problem is squeezing everything into the space. Rik certainly takes an excellent picture.

We also managed to miss off the contact details for the Kippo signal box kit. If you need it:

Kippo Models
121 Garvock Hill, Dunfermline, Fife, KY12 7RW.
www.kippomodelsuk.com
GWR Signal Box Β£80

BorisSpencer
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BorisSpencer » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:14 pm

Phil, please accept the comment in the light hearted manner in which it was intended.
I am a massive fan of GR and appreciate the effort that goes in to what is probably considered a niche interest publication.

You also missed the obvious irony of the typo in my own comment which I've only just noticed!

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:17 pm

BorisSpencer wrote: ↑Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:50 pm I wonder if Rik will be holding a ceremony to rename is line in readiness for September's issue.

I'm intrigued.... I've not yet received notification of the online edition going live, so am trying to think of any variations there might be on Peckforton. πŸ€”
Thanks for the compliment on the photographs, Phil. Praise indeed coming from your good self.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:32 pm

Apologies, I've realised I do have access to the Aug edition. I doubt anyone (else) will notice the typo in the billing for next month's content - even I had missed it 🀭

Rik
------------------------

practical_phil
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by practical_phil » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:30 pm

BorisSpencer wrote: ↑Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:14 pm Phil, please accept the comment in the light hearted manner in which it was intended.
I am a massive fan of GR and appreciate the effort that goes in to what is probably considered a niche interest publication.

You also missed the obvious irony of the typo in my own comment which I've only just noticed!
Don't worry - I didn't take it as a pointed dig.

Typos happen I'm afraid. We've recently created a new workflow process which means someone with time, and the eye, gets a proper read and should reduce them, but it's not completely foolproof. Sometimes you just have to shove the publication out of the door. As it was for this issue, we managed to get all the mags (BRM and GR) plus a Virtual Show, which was the equivalent of at least 3 magazines worth of content, out all at the same time!

I'm still proud of each issue but always happy for a bit of constructive feedback. That's why my e-mail address is in each issue and I do my best to reply to each and every one as quickly as possible. We rely on people buying the magazine to pay our wages, so if there's something you'd like to see in there, I want to know. Better still, if you are willing to write it, even better!

We live in strange times. Advertising has dipped, although it's coming back. With WH Smith being shut, sales fell through the floor. Smiths are back, subscriptions are up a bit, hopefully we won't suffer the same fate as Garden Railways magazine. I really do appreciate every reader, every advertiser and every contributor. We might be a niche publication, but not the most esoteric in the Warner's group...

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:49 am

Well I have only just got my email notification this morning at 02.15 for the September Edition for the digital copy, but I now don't subscribe to that anymore. I just found it hard to control the pages, when I was getting to the bottom of say page 6, it would flip over to the next page before I had read it. There are other problems with it, but it may just be my MacBook being over sensitive.

Can't wait to get my paper copy though...There is going to be a brilliant read in it from one of our illustrious members ... :roll: :scratch: :notworthy: :notworthy:

DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DonW » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:40 am

Positively delighted to see the Peckforton Light Railway in the September issue. Lovely article Rik one not to miss.

Don

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:19 pm

DonW wrote: ↑Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:40 am Positively delighted to see the Peckforton Light Railway in the September issue. Lovely article Rik one not to miss.

Don
Thanks Don
I was worried the article might seem a bit long and wordy, but Phil seems to have been able to squeeze it into four pages. In the digital edition, there are several more photos.

Rik
------------------------

practical_phil
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by practical_phil » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:45 am

Rik gave me a bit of a problem - lovely photos and a very enjoyable article. To fit the space, there needed to be some trimming but this means we can look forward to a separate piece on the traffic management system in the future.

Incidentally, if anyone fancies waving a camera around their own layout, I'm always looking for features on people's lines. They don't need to be extensive, I'm far more interested in something that will inspire others to have a go themselves. You can always get me at phil.parker@warnersgroup.co.uk

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:19 am

Got my magazine this morning and I have to say it is very good in every way. There are two reviews in the magazine. One is on the new Talyllyn steam loco from Bowande and the other is on the Hornby/Lionel "Hogwarts Express". The Talyllyn I have to say is a very nice loco and the review is excellent. The other review on the Hornby/Lionel is through, though there is some confusion from the writer on what scale it actually is. I guess it is confusing to most also. It was me. But then it doesn't take a lot to confuse me... :scratch:

The is a good couple of construction articles that members may take on themselves and also a very good one on "Fish Plates". Well I found it informative. There is however only a couple of product news, which is disappointing in that is it done to COVID or are the manufactures not releasing new products. They don't always need to be new locos or rolling stock do they!!

There is another article on someone building a dynamometer, for the life of me why does he want to know if his loco can pull a house brick. Still it was an interesting read..

Then of course their is our own ge-rik. His article is one too saviour. It is a brilliant read and Rik's words are so eloquently put that we can enjoy how much Rik enjoys telling people all about his hobby. Has Rik say's himself, he was a former teacher and he tells us that "garden railway modelling should become a compulsory subject in schools.....

I agree Rik....Who else does :?:

PS
Thanks to Phil Parker for an excellent magazine this month. There is a bit of a read :study: next month also... :roll:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:04 pm

FWLR wrote: ↑Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:19 am
Thanks to Phil Parker for an excellent magazine this month.
Hear hear!! Another publishing masterpiece, Phil.
I understand you've been more than a bit busy this month, so even more of an accomplishment than usual.

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:12 pm

Does anyone know where I can buy a single printed copy?

My daughter wants a copy and I can't find it in WH Smiths or Sainsbury's and when I look online I can only find subscriptions for a minimum of three months.
I already subscribe to the digital edition and I got a free (hard) copy this month, but I'd like to keep the printed copy for my archive.

Rik
------------------------

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:22 pm

I've just looked in Smiths too, without any success - on leave this week and thought I'd treat myself... Oh well... Maybe I'll get the online version, but it's not quite the same...

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:50 am

Cant help you Rik, I am really sorry.

Agree Andrew, the digital copy isn't the same. I used to have it....

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:49 am

You can get single copies here https://www.uniquemagazines.co.uk/Garde ... on-p347675, but it seems they have run out of this month's. Can you ask Phil directly Rik?
Also browsing for other sources, the website for the magazine seems to have disappeared from Warner's site. Very odd.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:47 pm

Thanks Phil
I eventually found a supplier (https://www.newsstand.co.uk/) that would sell me a single copy (for a price!) and had some left in stock.

Rik
------------------------