Garden Rail Magazine

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
FWLR
Driver
Driver

Garden Rail Magazine

Post by FWLR » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:31 am

Just received this months Garden Rail Magazine and inside I found an article by someone many of you will know...

ge_rik has produced yet another brilliant piece on how he "Bodges" his rolling stock and I have to say you have given me so many ideas Rik, it was an interesting article on how you used older stock to achieve what you wanted.

Hope Part 2 is just as interesting and pleasure to read...

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Garden Rail Magazine

Post by ge_rik » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:00 am

Thanks Rod. Not seen it yet. Wrote it before Christmas, so be interested to see how it's turned out.

Rik
PS Interesting. The online version hasn't yet appeared, nor have I had my complimentary hard copy which usually turns up when something gets published
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

BorisSpencer
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BorisSpencer » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:34 am

Are we seeing the results of a deal to serialise an upcoming book in GRM? :thumbleft:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:35 pm

No such luck. Just a few articles.

My copy of the mag has arrived in the post this morning. I must admit to feeling pleased with the way the article has come out.

Nice balance of articles in this edition (for me). Battery loco build, railcar kitbuild and an article on radio control (of DCC models). Also, a good article by Tag for newbies to live steam.

Rik
------------------------

BorisSpencer
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BorisSpencer » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:04 am

Just finished reading said article, a great read.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:42 am

I hope the standard of articles are has good as this issue. There was indeed a lot of very useful information, even Phil Parkers was interesting. Usually the person who has submitted the article goes way too deep or off tangent...By which time I have lost interest...... :roll: I don't really, it's a very good magazine and well worth subscribing too.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:55 am

Well done Rik, congratulations on getting your articles in print. I am not a reader of Gardenrail but I think I should make an exception in this case.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:49 am

Thanks chaps, you are all too kind. :oops:

Rik
------------------------

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:37 pm

As others have said.
Well done Rik, nice article.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:31 am

I have to agree with the above sentiments.

When someone opens wih the astonishing claim that "I'm not that keen on live steam" I really am not sure what to think or do next. But the rolling stock featured in this article is really good, and the scenery in the photographs really appealing.

The writing style, unnecessarily self-deprecating, humourous and honest, captures the spirit of narrow-gauge garden railways and reminds me why I chose this hobby despite the handicaps I experience due to being in Canada. I really enjoyed the article and can't wait for the next one. Your writing style makes it easy to understand what you are doing in your garden, and why you are doing it. Notwithstanding the lack of steam, it's a garden I would love to visit.

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:50 am

Keith S wrote: ↑Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:31 am
When someone opens wih the astonishing claim that "I'm not that keen on live steam" I really am not sure what to think or do next.

Keith, that comment suggests that you haven't looked at Rik's 'Peckforton' blog? If you haven't, then you really should (my apologies if I'm wrong :oops: ).
https://riksrailway.blogspot.com/p/contents.html
Philip

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:10 am

philipy wrote: ↑Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:50 am
Keith S wrote: ↑Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:31 am
When someone opens wih the astonishing claim that "I'm not that keen on live steam" I really am not sure what to think or do next.

Keith, that comment suggests that you haven't looked at Rik's 'Peckforton' blog? If you haven't, then you really should (my apologies if I'm wrong :oops: ).
https://riksrailway.blogspot.com/p/contents.html
I think I have come across this blog in my internet perambulations, and I've certainly watched videos of Rik's railway. I was mostly just teasing when I made that comment, but I can't resist trying to picture that atmospheric trackwork and character-ful rolling stock with live steam engines! But there is a lot more to a railway than the motive power. It surprises me to admit that, because it was live steam that drew me to garden railways in the first place. But Rik's work shows me that there are more important things in a garden railway than what powers the engines. I have seen live-steam railways that appeal to me far less than Rik's railway.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:01 am

Thanks for the compliments chaps. I hadn't expected the thread to stimulate a discussion about the efficacy of live steam - a discussion which I instigated on here about a year ago.

I think, as Keith has intimated, many garden railway modellers are drawn out into the garden primarily because of the lure of live steam. For me, the prime motivation was the opportunity to create a representation of a narrow gauge raulway system in its entirety. Hence the need for lots of goods rolling stock. For me, the motive power is the means to an end, rather than an end in itself.

I've got a live steam loco (thanks to Tom), have had a few live steam locos visiting, and have visited others' railways who run live steam. From my perspective, live steam locos become the focus of the running session and the movement of rolling stock is secondary - which is fine if that's what you want from your railway. For me, the movement of rolling stock, shunting at stations and slow running are my main foci. Hence, my locos are secondary considerations. There's a bit more about my views on locos in the next GR article, so I won't steal my own thunder by elaborating here.

At the end of the day, garden railways are the means by which we all live out our dreams. We are all different and so gain pleasure in different ways.

Maybe we should turn our attention to far less controversial areas, like Brexit
(that is a joke btw).

Rik
------------------------

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:31 am

ge_rik wrote: ↑Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:01 am

At the end of the day, garden railways are the means by which we all live out our dreams. We are all different and so gain pleasure in different ways.

Rik
Yes, but without people like yourself Rik, who are prepared to put lots of time and effort into the how's and why of garden railways, would make our hobby a lot less interesting and dare I say, a lot more stressful.

In my signature I say what it means to me.....( Life is so easy when I run my trains. :thumbright: )

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:53 pm

I sometimes regret selling that loco to you Rik, Regners are a joy to watch and easy to operate and modify.

It would be nice to see it puff along on your line in a purposeful running session like you run your electric fleet.

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:03 pm

Sorry guys I didn't mean to start up a discussion about live steam. I was only making a joke (I thought) about it. I've become more interested in wagons and coaches lately and found the article more enjoyable to read than I was expecting. Also in the photographs I thought the garden and railway looked particularly nice as well.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:44 pm

Keith S wrote: ↑Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:03 pm Sorry guys I didn't mean to start up a discussion about live steam. I was only making a joke (I thought) about it. I've become more interested in wagons and coaches lately and found the article more enjoyable to read than I was expecting. Also in the photographs I thought the garden and railway looked particularly nice as well.
Thanks Keith
I certainly took it as a joke. A problem with email and forum posts is there's always the risk of misinterpretation. A face to face quip has the added bonus of body language to contextualise any utterance. I suppose that's why I sometimes append a Smiley - to reassure folks that my comment is intended to be light-hearted :lol: They can act as the contextualising body language.

I well remember a colleague taking serious offence at a tongue in cheek comment I made in an email which I circulated to the world at large in those days when I used to work for a living - it was when smileys were just coming in as apparently random collections of punctuation marks. ;-}

Rik
------------------------

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: Garden Rail Magazine ( Update )

Post by FWLR » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:46 am

Well just got this months Garden Rail Magazine and this is another one of ge-riks articles and I have to say I haven't been disappointed. Well done Rik on another excellent article on "How to be a Scratch-Bodger". You are an inspiration to us all. You show us with just a little imagination how to achieve some many nice models.

Thanks again Rik. Hope you can and will contribute more to GRM....... :thumbright: :thumbright:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Garden Rail Magazine ( Update )

Post by ge_rik » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:11 pm

FWLR wrote: ↑Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:46 am Well just got this months Garden Rail Magazine and this is another one of ge-riks articles and I have to say I haven't been disappointed. Well done Rik on another excellent article on "How to be a Scratch-Bodger". You are an inspiration to us all. You show us with just a little imagination how to achieve some many nice models.

Thanks again Rik. Hope you can and will contribute more to GRM....... :thumbright: :thumbright:
Your postal service must be a lot more efficient than mine. I was wondering when the next edition was due. The electronic version isn't up yet, either.

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:56 pm

Aha! It arrived this afternoon. I'd forgotten what a lengthy aricle it was. I hope it's not too boring. I do hope I won't upset too many of the live steam community with my sacriligious after thoughts. :?

Rik
------------------------