New blog post - planning a garden railway

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

New blog post - planning a garden railway

Post by ge_rik » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:25 am

Hi Folks
My railway modelling, forum posting and blog posting has been dormant for a while, owing to other commitments (you know, family, daily life, etc.). I have, however, been finishing off a blog post which I have had on the back burner for some time - a post on how to plan a garden railway.

https://riksrailway.blogspot.com/2018/1 ... ilway.html

I'd be interested in feedback from experienced modellers such as your good selves. I'm aiming at those who are thinking about taking the plunge but are not quite sure where to start. Have I missed anything? Am I stating the bleeding obvious? Am I being too patronising?

I'd like to include a few more photos or video clips, so if anyone has some to offer (due credit given of course), then I'd be grateful. I have mentioned a few of you and your efforts either directly or indirectly - so if you want to suggest links or images to support those bits, I am more than happy to credit you.

Thanks in advance.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

GTB
Driver
Driver

Re: New blog post - planning a garden railway

Post by GTB » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:15 pm

Makes sense to me, but then all your blog posts make me think 'I could build that'. Probably something to do with your teaching background......

I found Google Earth and Street View useful when I was working out the fictional history of the TVT and the route it would have taken. Beats a 4.5hr drive each way to visit the actual area.

Regards,
Graeme

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:42 pm

GTB wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:15 pm Makes sense to me, but then all your blog posts make me think 'I could build that'. Probably something to do with your teaching background......

I found Google Earth and Street View useful when I was working out the fictional history of the TVT and the route it would have taken. Beats a 4.5hr drive each way to visit the actual area.

Regards,
Graeme
Thanks Graeme. I always value your feedback. I'll include something about Google Earth in the section on real or imaginary - it's a good idea.

You must have an encyclopaedic brain to remember I was once a teacher. I sometimes can't even remember what I had for dinner yesterday.

Rik
PS - Done! :thumbright:
------------------------

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:22 pm

Looks very good Rik.

I think it might be useful to warn at the planning stage about the amount of space necessary for even a small simple passing loop station. I know that coming into the garden in 16mm, after a lifetime modelling of in 4mm, I found myself wildly underestimating both length and depth needed for platforms and buildings.
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:47 pm

philipy wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:22 pm Looks very good Rik.

I think it might be useful to warn at the planning stage about the amount of space necessary for even a small simple passing loop station. I know that coming into the garden in 16mm, after a lifetime modelling of in 4mm, I found myself wildly underestimating both length and depth needed for platforms and buildings.
Thanks Philip. Not included anything about passing loops or about thinking about loop length. Good thinking.

Rik
PS - Now done - and just added a new section about power sources as this will affect the planning - especially for live steam
------------------------

BorisSpencer
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BorisSpencer » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:31 am

I know you've mentioned gradients, but as Phillipy mentioned about space, it may be worth pointing out the amount of linear track required to simply raise a running line so that it can pass over itself. Also if your gradients are on curves, these need to be more gentle (both radius and gradient), and preferably easily accessible.
Finally depending on what you run, whether to even include gradients. All my steam power is manual control and one of my own criteria is for level, continuous runs.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:40 am

BorisSpencer wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:31 am I know you've mentioned gradients, but as Phillipy mentioned about space, it may be worth pointing out the amount of linear track required to simply raise a running line so that it can pass over itself. Also if your gradients are on curves, these need to be more gentle (both radius and gradient), and preferably easily accessible.
Finally depending on what you run, whether to even include gradients. All my steam power is manual control and one of my own criteria is for level, continuous runs.
Thanks Boris. I'll take a look at that section to see what I can incorporate. I did wonder about including something about keeping things level for non rc live steam

Rik
------------------------

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:16 am

Is this the beginnings of your book Rik? :thumbup:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:16 am

tom_tom_go wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:16 am Is this the beginnings of your book Rik? :thumbup:
Not yet, Tom. But I have got a few articles coming up in GR soon

Rik
------------------------

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:31 pm

Rik, a great primer for newcombers. :thumbright:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:34 pm

Dwayne wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:31 pm Rik, a great primer for newcombers. :thumbright:
Thanks Dwayne. Already had a few suggestions from here and elsewhere as to how to enhance it. Becoming a bit of a corporate effort, which is good.

Rik
------------------------

Tom the blacksmith
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Tom the blacksmith » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:14 am

Hi Rik,

Being a newcomer and still in the planning stage I found it very useful and informative so I think it's spot on :thumbright: !
The only thing I would like to know more about is spring loaded points (or is that becoming too detailed for an intro?).

Tom

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:34 am

Tom the blacksmith wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:14 am Hi Rik,

Being a newcomer and still in the planning stage I found it very useful and informative so I think it's spot on :thumbright: !
The only thing I would like to know more about is spring loaded points (or is that becoming too detailed for an intro?).

Tom
Hi Tom
Probably, I'll see if I can find a pre-existing article on them which I can link to. I think it's been discussed on here more than once so there could be a thread I can use - and it will help promote the GRF.

Rik
PS - Found one, be good to find something with more photos or diagrams though. I wonder if Tom has some photos he's be willing to share??
https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8718
------------------------

Dasher
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Dasher » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:54 am

Hi Rik

This is a very useful guide. One thing that caught me out with passing loops is that calculated distance (in your case the 2 metres) has to be the parallel track bit - the lead in and lead out of the loop can't be counted as the coaches have no clearance! The other thing that caught me out was the sheer space required for a building - especially one interlinked with the railway - such as a halt, station or goods transfer section. Getting a vehicle to an from the building takes as much space , if not more than the railway itself.

I'm working in a much smaller space than you have available and am still experimenting - but I recognise a lot of what you have written will be incorporated into the next (hopefully longer lasting) version of my railway!
David

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:47 pm

Dasher wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:54 am Hi Rik

This is a very useful guide. One thing that caught me out with passing loops is that calculated distance (in your case the 2 metres) has to be the parallel track bit - the lead in and lead out of the loop can't be counted as the coaches have no clearance! The other thing that caught me out was the sheer space required for a building - especially one interlinked with the railway - such as a halt, station or goods transfer section. Getting a vehicle to an from the building takes as much space , if not more than the railway itself.

I'm working in a much smaller space than you have available and am still experimenting - but I recognise a lot of what you have written will be incorporated into the next (hopefully longer lasting) version of my railway!
David
Thanks for the feedback, David. I'm pleased to hear that the post is already being helpful

Rik
------------------------

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:48 am

This is another excellent Blog Rik on how to start a Garden Railway. If like most of us, we tend to want to put a line in with out much thought, had looked at this, it would have at least given us some insight into what is involved with planning and running a great line.

I am only saying this because I came into model railways later in life. Only started 3 and half years ago with N Gauge and now 16mm/SM32 18 months ago. So if I had waited 10 years or more, I don't think I would be able to do half of what I do now.

Thanks Rik for an excellent Blog. It's worth anyone new or even experienced in garden railways to look at your Blog's. They give so much wealth of knowledge, that I will look at your Blogs and see if It will help me.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:24 am

FWLR wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:48 am This is another excellent Blog Rik on how to start a Garden Railway. If like most of us, we tend to want to put a line in with out much thought, had looked at this, it would have at least given us some insight into what is involved with planning and running a great line.

I am only saying this because I came into model railways later in life. Only started 3 and half years ago with N Gauge and now 16mm/SM32 18 months ago. So if I had waited 10 years or more, I don't think I would be able to do half of what I do now.

Thanks Rik for an excellent Blog. It's worth anyone new or even experienced in garden railways to look at your Blog's. They give so much wealth of knowledge, that I will look at your Blogs and see if It will help me.
Thanks Rod
It's encouraging that feedback from relative newcomers is as positive as from those who have been in the hobby for many years.

Rik
------------------------

Robert Hammond
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Robert Hammond » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:46 pm

We rarely hear mention of a helical main line which passes over itself at one point and has the advantage of doubling the length of run in a small area, so long as there is enough space for easy gradients. Very good features described for modellers who are keen but not sure how to plan.