What to do with a couple of chassis

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What to do with a couple of chassis

Post by -steves- » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:42 pm

daan wrote: โ†‘Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:09 pm Your batterypack is a good idea! It has a lot of juice and I could use some of them too. Didn't know these kind of batteries excisted, guess I'm living under a stone :lol:
Nice diesel loco too, keep up the good work!
Thank you.

The batteries come in all different shapes and sizes, but lithium ion are the way to go, the batteries in this are what many people use for those electronic cigarette things. They are 4.2v when fully charged so a really good source for a 16.8v which works great on the 12v to 24v como drill motors and give a lot of power.
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:47 pm

Well a bit more work done today on the details, some rounded corners, some strips around the window and between the cab and engine covers, windows all cut out and clear perspex cut ready to be glued in after painting.

Started on the electrics today while the glue dries overnight. Must admit I have having some issues with the directional lights, but hopefully that will get fixed one way or another, might end up posting it on here for help, lol.

Any way, more pictures.

Last edited by -steves- on Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:50 pm

Next jobs are to decide what colour to do it? Any thoughts on this are welcome :)

The lots of work on the chassis. I would like to make some heavy weight tanks for underneath the cab, these are likely to be solid steel as it will add weight. The make a step for the cab, add buffer beams, spray the chassis and running gear.

After that who knows, maybe add some details like exhausts, air filters etc, see what I can know up on the lathe to suit.

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:05 pm

Well, got a bit more done on it now, just a bit more cab detailing (now painted but not seen in pictures) and the handles for the doors and inspection hatches to go on.

Black it is then as I had more of that than any other colour. Think it's going to be call Goliath considering how much it weighs and how big it is, I sure don't think it's going to have any bother shoving a steam loco back home.

Last edited by -steves- on Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:08 pm

And more

Last edited by -steves- on Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:11 pm

Almost there with just a few bits left to do, but definitely getting there.

Turned the air filters and exhaust pipes from aluminium on the lathe today, made the air tanks underneath out of mild steel and the claxons are from Roundhouse. Still got handrails, door handles, cab detail and I am sure a couple of others things left to do like paint the air filters and exhausts for starters.

Last edited by -steves- on Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gralyn
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Gralyn » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:16 pm

Looking Good.
Regards Graham.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:59 pm

I have been watching this build from the start and it looks most impressive. Much better engineered than my work and the result is pleasing and convincing.
The black is a good choice too!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:03 am

Black tends to be my favourite colour for locomotives. Grim looking brute - I like it!

Peter in VA
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:15 am

Yes, I agree, it is looking good. I particularly like the satin black finish, what paint have you used?
Philip

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:55 pm

A fine result. Smooth paint job too.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:15 pm

Very nice! Looks a very workmanlike loco.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:09 am

Superb build and well constructed "how too" thread also. every bit of your build is brilliant and thought about with loads of photos showing your progress.

Thanks.... :thumbright: :thumbright:

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:38 pm

philipy wrote: โ†‘Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:15 am Yes, I agree, it is looking good. I particularly like the satin black finish, what paint have you used?
The paint is "meant" to be matt black, however I agree it totally looks like a satin finish. I am more than happy with it even if it wasn't the original plan :)

The paint is straight out of a Halfords rattle can, along with all my loco paint finishes and primer and lacquer. The only paint I use that is not Halfords it Etch Printer.

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:40 pm

I would just like to say thanks to those that have followed this build, despite it's long post and many many pictures.

Your kind comments have made me feel very proud of my work and give me encouragement to continue with my scratch builds :)

Thank you to all :thumbleft: :thumbleft: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:57 pm

Be sure to post pictures of it with the handrails and ladders, etc. I'd like to see the end result, maybe a video? That loco deserves a sound card, too.

The ends of the bonnets with the square grills and little headlights remind me of a tiny black "Tri-Ang" shunter I had when I was a little boy.

Well done- the locomotive looks like a factory job, I'll bet there will be a few chaps wishing it was, once they see it. Great loco.

I'm always astonished by the results people are getting with that white plastic card material- it seems like it can do almost anything!

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:05 am

Well I am a bit gutted today as I made a mistake on one of the last parts to do and I am not sure what to do about it?

I am so used to building open cab loco's that I put a handrail either side of the door, then realized it would only have one on the opening side, but alas, too late, holes already drilled and handrails fitted.

So, any advice on what to do next would be appreciated. My thoughts are, find a 2mm diameter bit of plastic, plug the hole and use a small brush to paint it black again, but you will always see where to hole was and the fact its been plugged. The only other option I can think of, i fill the hole, rub it back, respray the entire model, then repaint all the window frames and handles, hinges etc, an awful lot of work which will take a few days to do and to be fair, I am not sure i want all this extra work :cry: :( :cry:

I could leave it as it is, but I would always see it and be gutted when everyone else noticed it, which they of course would, lol :lol:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:21 am

-steves- wrote: โ†‘Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:05 am I could leave it as it is, but I would always see it and be gutted when everyone else noticed it, which they of course would.
I think you may be over reacting to such a slight error, which I doubt many people would either notice or bother to mention. The overall effect is the main thing when our creations are usually seen from a distance. Be proud of your work and look on it as a learning experience.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:38 am

My suggestion would be a length of styrene strip which is longer than the handrail ( possibly even the fulllength of the cab side?). Spray it black and when dry, carefully glue it over the holes. That way it should look like a structural support - you could even add some rivets to it to enhance the illusion.
Philip

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:05 pm

-steves- wrote: โ†‘Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:05 am I am so used to building open cab loco's that I put a handrail either side of the door, then realized it would only have one on the opening side, but alas, too late, holes already drilled and handrails fitted.
Don't sweat it..... ;)

Two handrails indicates the door opens inwards, which is a common arrangement. A single handrail would indicate an outward opening door.

The Accucraft Baguley has two door handrails and the position of the door handles indicates the doors open inwards against the back of the cab. Other commercial models also have two handrails. If you do a Google image search I'm sure you'll find plenty of prototypes.

Your loco has a large cab, so plenty of space for the doors to open inwards. If some knowitall comments, just airily say 'but of course the prototype had inward opening cab doors'. 8)

I'd imagine inward opening doors would be preferable on real diesels on safety grounds, as the door can't open accidentally when leaned on and either wipe a crew member off against a bridge abutment, or drop them over the edge of a viaduct, etc.

Regards,
Graeme