What to do with a couple of chassis

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
Keith S
Driver
Driver

Re: What to do with a couple of chassis

Post by Keith S » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:57 pm

Be sure to post pictures of it with the handrails and ladders, etc. I'd like to see the end result, maybe a video? That loco deserves a sound card, too.

The ends of the bonnets with the square grills and little headlights remind me of a tiny black "Tri-Ang" shunter I had when I was a little boy.

Well done- the locomotive looks like a factory job, I'll bet there will be a few chaps wishing it was, once they see it. Great loco.

I'm always astonished by the results people are getting with that white plastic card material- it seems like it can do almost anything!

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:05 am

Well I am a bit gutted today as I made a mistake on one of the last parts to do and I am not sure what to do about it?

I am so used to building open cab loco's that I put a handrail either side of the door, then realized it would only have one on the opening side, but alas, too late, holes already drilled and handrails fitted.

So, any advice on what to do next would be appreciated. My thoughts are, find a 2mm diameter bit of plastic, plug the hole and use a small brush to paint it black again, but you will always see where to hole was and the fact its been plugged. The only other option I can think of, i fill the hole, rub it back, respray the entire model, then repaint all the window frames and handles, hinges etc, an awful lot of work which will take a few days to do and to be fair, I am not sure i want all this extra work :cry: :( :cry:

I could leave it as it is, but I would always see it and be gutted when everyone else noticed it, which they of course would, lol :lol:
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:21 am

-steves- wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:05 am I could leave it as it is, but I would always see it and be gutted when everyone else noticed it, which they of course would.
I think you may be over reacting to such a slight error, which I doubt many people would either notice or bother to mention. The overall effect is the main thing when our creations are usually seen from a distance. Be proud of your work and look on it as a learning experience.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:38 am

My suggestion would be a length of styrene strip which is longer than the handrail ( possibly even the fulllength of the cab side?). Spray it black and when dry, carefully glue it over the holes. That way it should look like a structural support - you could even add some rivets to it to enhance the illusion.
Philip

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:05 pm

-steves- wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:05 am I am so used to building open cab loco's that I put a handrail either side of the door, then realized it would only have one on the opening side, but alas, too late, holes already drilled and handrails fitted.
Don't sweat it..... ;)

Two handrails indicates the door opens inwards, which is a common arrangement. A single handrail would indicate an outward opening door.

The Accucraft Baguley has two door handrails and the position of the door handles indicates the doors open inwards against the back of the cab. Other commercial models also have two handrails. If you do a Google image search I'm sure you'll find plenty of prototypes.

Your loco has a large cab, so plenty of space for the doors to open inwards. If some knowitall comments, just airily say 'but of course the prototype had inward opening cab doors'. 8)

I'd imagine inward opening doors would be preferable on real diesels on safety grounds, as the door can't open accidentally when leaned on and either wipe a crew member off against a bridge abutment, or drop them over the edge of a viaduct, etc.

Regards,
Graeme

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:04 pm

GTB wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:05 pm
-steves- wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:05 am I am so used to building open cab loco's that I put a handrail either side of the door, then realized it would only have one on the opening side, but alas, too late, holes already drilled and handrails fitted.
Don't sweat it..... ;)

Two handrails indicates the door opens inwards, which is a common arrangement. A single handrail would indicate an outward opening door.

The Accucraft Baguley has two door handrails and the position of the door handles indicates the doors open inwards against the back of the cab. Other commercial models also have two handrails. If you do a Google image search I'm sure you'll find plenty of prototypes.

Your loco has a large cab, so plenty of space for the doors to open inwards. If some knowitall comments, just airily say 'but of course the prototype had inward opening cab doors'. 8)

I'd imagine inward opening doors would be preferable on real diesels on safety grounds, as the door can't open accidentally when leaned on and either wipe a crew member off against a bridge abutment, or drop them over the edge of a viaduct, etc.

Regards,
Graeme
Well goodness me, I never. I have just taken a look at the internal door mechanisms and realise you are indeed correct. This particular loco type has internally opening doors and therefore requires two handrails. It's a good job I put them both on or would have had to have added one later. ;)

Thank you for your inspiration :)

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:05 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:21 am
-steves- wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:05 am I could leave it as it is, but I would always see it and be gutted when everyone else noticed it, which they of course would.
I think you may be over reacting to such a slight error, which I doubt many people would either notice or bother to mention. The overall effect is the main thing when our creations are usually seen from a distance. Be proud of your work and look on it as a learning experience.
You are of course correct, no one else would have noticed, but I would have and that would have bugged me. Fortunately it looks like it was not an error after all as both handrails are required for the doors opening inwards into the cab :thumbup:

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:07 pm

philipy wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:38 am My suggestion would be a length of styrene strip which is longer than the handrail ( possibly even the fulllength of the cab side?). Spray it black and when dry, carefully glue it over the holes. That way it should look like a structural support - you could even add some rivets to it to enhance the illusion.
Great idea, fortunately not needed this time, but that's now held (a least for a short time) and will hopefully be recalled as and when then type of "repair" is required next, which I am sure it will be at some point. :thumbup:

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:56 pm

I see others have resolved your worries, but I was getting ready to help by posting a photograph. I believe I will anyway. Here is a Canadian locomotive with a similar door to yours, and it does indeed have TWO handrails!
C0BD9B3C-27DE-45A8-8989-96EFB99FA106.jpeg
C0BD9B3C-27DE-45A8-8989-96EFB99FA106.jpeg (40.05 KiB) Viewed 5286 times

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:06 am

-steves- wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:04 pm
Well goodness me, I never. I have just taken a look at the internal door mechanisms and realise you are indeed correct. This particular loco type has internally opening doors and therefore requires two handrails. It's a good job I put them both on or would have had to have added one later. ;)

Thank you for your inspiration :)
That's the beauty of our forum Steve, there is always someone to help out, encourage and inspire. :thumbright:

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:06 pm

Once again I thank you for your inputs and advice.

Here are a couple more pictures, one of it in the little box I made for it.

I "think" its just a few minor painting details to do and some steps to make for the cab. Not yet 100% positive on how I am going to make them, I have a couple of ideas and will see how they turn out :thumbup:

Last edited by -steves- on Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:28 am

She does look good Steve.

Like the box you have made for her too.

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:13 pm

FWLR wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:28 am She does look good Steve.

Like the box you have made for her too.
Thank you, I make boxes for all my loco's, not only for display and protection, but also keeps the dust off them when they are not in use :)

Did a final weigh in today, comes in at a whopping 12lbs, not bad for a loco with a completely plastic body, goes to show what the complete chassis weighs. Measure a little over 17.5" at buffer to buffer!

Well, I think this is what I am calling finished, other than I might make a wooden floor for the cab at some point. Pretty happy with the result of my work and it's honestly much better than I ever could have imagined it would turn out, lol :D It's not perfect, but then, neither am I. It is however quite a bit better in real life than the pictures as they photo's seem to highlight any errors more so than you can actually see them in the flesh, so to speak.

I hope you all enjoyed the thread and it's many pictures and hopefully someone other than myself learnt something along the way.

Last edited by -steves- on Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:22 pm

Any chance of seeing it in action?

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:24 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:22 pm Any chance of seeing it in action?
Most certainly, I will get a video done of it around my layout and post it up when time and weather allow. I might add quite a few of my wagons to it, just to see what it can pull, but I am guessing it will pull everything I have as it's so heavy, just missed the 1 stone mark by a couple of pounds, lol :D

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:35 pm

Very nice Steve. Well done.
Philip

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:48 pm

Get it to pull a dead live steamer :thumbup:

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:22 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:48 pm Get it to pull a dead live steamer :thumbup:
Good idea to see if it meets expectations. I do know it needs the current 15:1 gearboxes replacing with 30:1 gearboxes but I knew that from day one, but I believe it still might manage it as it is, we shall see :)

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:31 am

It really is a very impressive build Steve and you should be very proud of it...

I know I would be like the cat that licked the cream if it was mine..... :thumbright: :thumbright:

pandsrowe
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pandsrowe » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:24 am

I know what you mean here, when I built my GRS Pecket loco, the chassis was supplied with a MFA motor and gearbox with a 15:1 ratio. Worked beautifully apart from running around like a scalded cat, so it didn't take me long to change the gearbox for a 30:1 ratio. Now looks so much more realistic and it is a joy to carry out shunting manoeuvres especially now I have fitted a Deltang r/c system.
By the way I have no connection with any of the suppliers apart from being a satisfied customer.
Phil