Mild steel bodywork

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: Mild steel bodywork

Post by Busted Bricks » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:07 pm

It was Douglas Roberts (Dougrail) who offered overlays for Mamod/MSS locos.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:09 pm

BorisSpencer wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:57 am On one of the Facebook groups I frequent several months ago someone was looking for "expressions of interest" for some Mamod bodywork overlays.
They were to be of brass, and I think they needed five or six confirmed orders before they could proceed.

There were 2 types proposed, one with extended tanks and running boards, and one with extended cab sides suitable for operation with a tender. I was interested primarily in the former and if I recall were going to be £60.
Suffice to say nothing came of this, I assume the person never got enough interest to proceed. (I do hope if it was someone from this forum I haven't offended with this post).
I think that may have been Dougrail of this Parish, but on another forum or website.
Ian

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:49 pm

I like the sound of this idea. Mild steel is a known quantity so far as problems and advantages are concerned, and as such is rather more appealing to me than some of the more exotic material that one hears of from time to time.

Cheers,
Peter in Va
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Busted Bricks » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:11 am

I will see what I can come up with. I think my first effort will be a diesel loco in 7/8ths though as that is my preferred "size" (I hesitate to say "scale" as I like freelance designs).

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:19 am

I had a dabble in 7/8ths but decided to stick with 16mm scale as I have already invested in it.

However, I would be tempted to go 'wild' and try a 1:12 scale kit if it could be fitted to a Roundhouse or similar chassis!

Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Busted Bricks » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:57 am

1:12 really appeals to me and I have even contemplated making 50.8mm track to model 2' railways. 16mm is a bit fiddly.Although there is more material involved in building to 1:12 scale it's not prohibitive and stuff like fasteners etc. that don't look out of place are more readily available. Perhaps I should start a thread about preferred scales?

Jbs
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Jbs » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:21 pm

If you are offering something in 1:12 I would be interested in another small loco in this scale.
Regards,

John Smith

Harrogate

Ron Chatt
New User
New User

Post by Ron Chatt » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:59 pm

I see no reason not to use mild steel
after all the only thing we had to use
in the 1940s 50s was old span and corned beef cans
and a lot are still around.

Johnnie1000
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Johnnie1000 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:57 am

FWLR wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:17 am Hi Johnnie and Welcome,

Love the colour of your loco. :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:

Have you tried loading your photos with the forum attachments link. :thumbright:
Sorry for the tardy reply. Life keeps getting in the way. Thank you for the welcome. I will investigate the forum attachments link. :)
Cheers
John