Figures

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
Andrew

Re: Figures

Post by Andrew » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:29 pm

Hi all,

Here are the latest recruits at the (WH)WHR:
Figures.jpg
Figures.jpg (178.44 KiB) Viewed 5658 times

The chap on the left (Captain Black from Captain Scarlet, maybe?) I picked up in a charity shop this morning for 10 pence. He's definitely in the "third tier" of my figure collection - even with extensive surgery he'll never look great, but possibly good enough to sit in a compartment carriage with small windows, or he might donate his head to another figure!

In the middle, Anekin Skywalker represents the "second tier" - he'll turn out OK with a little work. It won't take too much effort to turn that smock he's wearing into a tweed jacket, for example, and a little Miliput to extend his trousers over his boots will leave nice shiny shoes at the bottom... My kids picked this one up for free for me - round here folk leave things they don't want on their front garden wall for others to take away.

On the right is a soldier from an Indiana Jones film, "first tier" because he won't need much work at all and will then be good enough to sit in an open carriage where he'll be very visible. He won't need much more work than reshaping the hat into a flat cap and carving off the various bits of equipment - the Harrison Ford figure from the same range is better still, he's pretty much ready to go and comes with a great hat... I picked this one up for 50 pence at a garage sale recently, think I got a couple of Harrison Fords at the same time but can't find those at the mo'.

I've been gradually collecting figures since I began garden railway-ing thirty years ago. I've got loads and rather enjoy choosing which ones will go in a new carriage or whatever. Modifying and painting them does sometimes feel like a bit of a chore, but they turn out OK I reckon - there are a couple in my avatar, my versions of a young Tom Rolt and the "plump affable Welsh woman" who features in his account of riding in the WHR Buffet Car back in 1927...

Cheers,

Andrew.

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:49 pm

Would love to see them post-surgery, Andre. Do post piccs please.

Wish I could find figures that are the right size at the right (cheap) prices, but I've never seen any at all.
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:40 pm

Those figures can be made to work when modified. The features aren't bad and the scale pretty close so when put in the right location they do the job.
Mine were given to me by traders who collect incomplete figures and make good ones from the parts, the ones I received were 'no hopers'......
IMG_4332.JPG
IMG_4332.JPG (124.64 KiB) Viewed 5646 times

After much filing and filling they became useful characters....
IMG_4350.JPG
IMG_4350.JPG (140.32 KiB) Viewed 5646 times
My particular favourite is this one although I have no idea who he was based on.....
IMG_4344.JPG
IMG_4344.JPG (149.8 KiB) Viewed 5646 times
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:17 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:40 pm Those figures can be made to work when modified…
My particular favourite is this one although I have no idea who he was based on.....
IMG_4344.JPG
Well, he's the spitting image of my mate Fred, but I'm pretty sure he never featured in any franchise :lol:
As for finding these figures at the right price - I rarely find a charity shop that sells toys of any description. It all seems to be household and clothing in the ones I find :x
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:01 am

I think that's Christopher Lee - he's looking good anyway!

Charity shops seem to have gone regrettably up-market in recent years, but some still have a rummage bin of odds and ends - look on the floor in the kids section!

My best source of figures used to be second hand toy stalls at my kids' school fairs, but they've all gone to secondary school now so that option's no longer available to me. I still can't quite get over the bumper haul of figures I picked up one year and then put down somewhere before I got home, never to be seen again... Other "ones that got away" include a couple of finished figures who've leapt from moving trains into thick undergrowth - I really must stick guards and footplate crew in properly!

I'll photograph the finished figures if I remember Philip, but these will probably just go into the figures box and won't emerge until a suitable project requires them - and I've already got figures lined up for my current station build. I've got to finish a WHR Hudson toastrack sometime soon - that's very open and will require some decent figures, so the soldier chappie might make it into that. Otherwise there are a fair few pictures of finished figures dotted through my rolling stock thread, all bodged together from cheaply acquired toys...

Cheers,

Andrew

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:07 pm

pandsrowe wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:22 am A few years back I came across an excellent but small range by 'Mike's Marvellous Models' which had everything that I was looking for in the way of detail and accuracy, even animals, he appeared at a few garden railway shows but I haven't seen anything of him for a couple of years now.
I got 4 figures from Marvellous Mike at the Exeter show in my first year of garden railway modelling. They are superb. I wish now I'd bought everything he had; didn't realise he was going to disappear!

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:40 am

ge_rik wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:16 pm
practical_phil wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:55 pm Returning to the figures - the Bachmann railway staff are a bit more 50's so probably more use. Another option is to use 3D printing by ModelU (https://www.modelu3d.co.uk/) but it's not cheap, think £30 for a 16mm figure BUT you can be scanned and then be the driver on your own loco for that money. Also, it's likly to drop as Alan has a new, and even better printer. His 4mm scale stuff is superb and the 16mm is the same resolution.
I couldn't see an option for 16mm scale figures on the website - largest seem to be G1 scale (1:32)

Rik
Hi Rik,

Would they be ok for 32mm. The scale thing is doing my head in….. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gauge1, 0 gauge……..please……………………………. :scratch: :scratch:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:41 am

PS. Just seen Rod Loco Crew on the https://www.modelu3d.co.uk/ site….. :lol: :lol: :lol:

SpudUk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by SpudUk » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:49 am

Just spoken to Alan from ModelU, he said that the entire range will be available to order through the website soon, but just drop him an email if you want something in 16mm now
Chris Auckland

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:19 pm

FWLR wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:41 am PS. Just seen Rod Loco Crew on the https://www.modelu3d.co.uk/ site….. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Named after you Rod! Unfortunately not listed in our scale. What you should look for is 1:19th. scale or very near.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

SpudUk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by SpudUk » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:20 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:19 pm
FWLR wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:41 am PS. Just seen Rod Loco Crew on the https://www.modelu3d.co.uk/ site….. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Named after you Rod! Unfortunately not listed in our scale. What you should look for is 1:19th. scale or very near.
Hi Peter,

As above, everything is available in 16mm if you email Alan. You'll be able to buy it directly through the website in 16mm soon

Chris
Chris Auckland

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:34 am

Just my luck Peter. :lol: