Stock Control

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Stock Control

Post by bazzer42 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:02 am

A question or curiosity. How do steamers store stock (how's that for alliteration? )?

My work bench has a few, overflowing shelves of wagons and as it is becoming very congested. I have an outdoor shed that the railway loops in but I'm not sure how steel wheels and wooden bodies would fare in an unheated shed. I also feel it is less secure than indoors.

Where do you keep your stock and are any easy ways for getting those wagons out for running? I'm not a great operator but I don't know whether the fag of getting stock out makes me not bother. Does anybody store trains ready for running?

I'll be interested to see what you clever modellers do.

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Re: Stock Control

Post by TonyW » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:10 am

I have a two-road lean-to shed on the back of the garage that holds the equivalent of eight bogie wagons ready for immediate use, all made of wood with steel wheels. They live in there all year. No issues other than cobwebs!

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:01 am

bazzer42 wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:02 am I'm not a great operator but I don't know whether the fag of getting stock out makes me not bother.
Snap!
Getting trains out plus the hassle of cleaning all the leaves etc off the line.
'fraid I don't have an answer to your question though.
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:20 pm

Sorry - not a 'steamer' but I do store stock. My original solution was to construct a set of stock boxes for each siding on the railway from plywood and, at the end of a session run the stock into the relevant box and then store the boxes in the leanto.
IMG_3394.JPG
IMG_3394.JPG (99.03 KiB) Viewed 4290 times
However, I've now developed problems with the disks in my neck which flare up if I do any excessive carrying and twisting (necessary to manoeuvre the boxes through the doorway) and so I knocked a hole through the wall of the garage and store the stock in there.
IMG_8401.JPG
IMG_8401.JPG (86.56 KiB) Viewed 4290 times
IMG_8436.JPG
IMG_8436.JPG (96.55 KiB) Viewed 4290 times
It takes a little longer now to shunt all the stock from the storage roads out to the sidings but at least it doesn't give me neck problems.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:35 pm

Like the wooden rails Rik. My granddaughter has some a rather like that only a bit smaller!! :lol: :lol:
Philip

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:50 pm

I normally store the stock in Really useful boxes. Well I did until the stock outgrew the boxes I can fit in my room! In time, storage in another location is being discussed but that's for another day.

Stock less than 550mm long - Really useful Boxes either 64L or 84L
Stock 550mm or longer - Cardboard boxes but will be 145L Really Useful Boxes in time.

Jon
Bowaters Models:- http://www.bowatersmodels.co.uk

Current Projects:-
Rebuilding the Railway!
Turning a Second hand 'Superior' into Bowaters 'Superior'

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:37 pm

I have three sidings in the basement/workshop area of the house which connect to the railway via a steeply graded and sharply curved branch line (good for trying to work a steam loco hard) however this only holds a small amount of what I own, so the rest is stored in various places round the house.... I do make sure that at least one of the connected sidings holds a train that can be run out at a moments notice.
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."