Loco Lamp's

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
steamer68
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Loco Lamp's

Post by steamer68 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:44 pm

Hi I'm looking to purchase a couple of loco lamps for my MSS 0 gauge loco. Can anyone on the forum suggest some retailers to purchase loco lamps from. :D
Regards
Kevin

Big Jim

Re: Loco Lamp's

Post by Big Jim » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:53 pm

I think Brandbright do cast whitemetal ones. SLR models do some nice 3d Printed working ones, they should be okay as long as they aren't put anywhere too hot on your engine.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:56 pm

I saw one of the SLR lamps recently in this video and I like the colour of the light despite it being LED:

steamer68
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by steamer68 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:15 pm

Hi Jim and Tom thanks for your input and Tom thanks for the video, I will look on SLR models website. :D
Regards
Kevin

CVLR
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by CVLR » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:58 pm

I use the SLR lamps on my locos and they are very good. 8)
What's this button do then? ooops.....

steamer68
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by steamer68 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:08 am

CVLR wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:58 pm I use the SLR lamps on my locos and they are very good. 8)
Hi thanks CVLR for the advice on which lamps to use. :D
Regards
Kevin

RylstonLight
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RylstonLight » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:30 pm

Hi Working lamps are very tempting but are more expensive than simple white-metal lamps.Brandbright (I think) haven't yet re-introduced theirs.
Roundhouse have produced some for some years, which seems to miss some 16millers. And they are under £4 (price list accessed todayj.

The working ones: L to R: SLR, early (??) Chuffed to bits, later (LNER) Chuffed to bits, and (not) Roundhouse
Lamps face.png
Lamps face.png (312.54 KiB) Viewed 6414 times
To my eye the working ones look slightly “big” compared with the non-working one. They look better face-on than in profile, but hey, lamps came in many sizes and I like the working ones. However the cheapness of the Roundhouse ones mean losing one wouldn't be a burden. As they get older there is some tweaking with the working ones although the SLR has a novel way of turning them on, so I cannot judge yet with them.
Lamps profile.png
Lamps profile.png (311.33 KiB) Viewed 6414 times
Oh BTW the (not) Roundhouse is minimally drilled (countersunk) out and a disc of clear plasticard (punched out by a paper-punch) inserted which I think improves the look no end. If anyone can confirm the 2nd from left as an earlier Chuffed to Bits (or refute it) I would be grateful

Edited later as I realise that what I remember as a Roundhouse casting is nothing like the one on there webpage, mmmm.
Andy S. at the Rylston Light Railway

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:57 pm

I have a couple of the Finescale ones, like the Chuffed to bits ones. They look great but eat batteries. They take two hearing aid batteries(like a watch battery but smaller) and cost nearly $6 per battery. I barely get one show of use out of them. I am taking my L&B style working tail lamp and wiring it to an AA battery holder inside the tail car. Will just have to deal with batteries for the loco lamp. My Billy will either sport Regner Euro style lanterns or Roundhouse Darjeeling lamps. Cant decide what I want to do yet. Mike the Aspie
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:04 pm

Swift Sixteen do some:
https://www.swiftsixteen.co.uk/Round-Brass-Lamp

Off topic; they also produce detailing parts for Mamod type locomotives. If you're interested have a browse.

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:27 am

The Swift16 ones look good but are hellishly expensive for what they are. £10 each for a solid brass casting, which would take a lot of effort to make work.
Philip