garden rail insurance

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
johnto
Cleaner
Cleaner

garden rail insurance

Post by johnto » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:29 pm

I.
The have been phoneing around for house insurance cover . Talked to a few firms yes we can cover building and contents
Ask the question can you cover my garden railway equipment (Yes up to fix amount From £1000.00 to £2500.00 per item based on their value. Are the trains covered while in my work shop NO only if there are in the House not the workshop we only cover tools engines and any thing else up to £5k total . So please check are your tools, engines and rolling stock in your shed workshop or garage Worth more than the insurance cover.The track outside is also not covered
call your insurance companies and check small print.
j moogan

Big Jim

Re: garden rail insurance

Post by Big Jim » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:53 am

Thanks for sharing this. It is always worth asking the question when dealing with Protection Rackets, sorry Insurance Companies.

It is also worth getting confirmation as to what they regard as a workshop/shed. I have found that some will class a brick built garage as a shed even if it is attached to the house, unless there is a door linking the two.

Due to my slightly unusual circumstances I have found that using a local broker is often simpler than ringing around the more well known companies. Failing that try Ecclesiastical Insurance Ltd, they are very used to dealing with strange requests regarding cover for special items of a more unusual and unique nature.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:37 pm

Dogs and locks work well as insurance companies will always find a way to worm out of paying you anything (and you won't get the amount of money you paid in the first place for the items or the time back you have spent).

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:30 am

To the insurance companies a workshop would mean business premise’s so they won’t cover them unless you take out business cover....i asked for my N Gauge stuff in the shed/workshop and thats what they told me.... :(