Filcris alternative?

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Filcris alternative?

Post by ge_rik » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:52 pm

Just come across this link posted on another GR forum. At first glance looks like a cheaper source of recycled plastic lumber than Filcris - maybe some of the Filcris afficionados could do a comparison?
http://www.kedel.co.uk/recycled-mixed-p ... umber.html

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Re: Filcris alternative?

Post by bazzer42 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:22 pm

Thanks Irk. I work part time for the local playgroup and their wooden play eqt is nearing the end of its life and I have been costing up replacing sand pits etc with filcris, this may save us a few pennies.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:03 pm

Don't mean to be the bringer of doom but after a recent 16mm NGM Kent visit I was warned off this stuff from the host as he constructed the first part of his railway with it and has had endless trouble with it moving with changing temperatures.

I do have some of their palisades though for my garden beds and they are great, maintenance free and will never rot!

pandsrowe
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pandsrowe » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:04 am

I did look at this supplier when I was costing my railway extension as I had used Filcris on the first part of my line. Generally I have been very pleased with the Filcris as I know that there will be no maintenance required in it's life (or mine!), there are downsides cost being one and there are movement issues if the plastic is exposed to direct sunlight as it does expand and contract quite substantially.
Fortunately where I have used Filcris it is in quite shady positions and although there is movement, it is well within acceptable limits in my view. Just remember when laying track to not only to allow for expansion of the rails but also allow for contraction of the plastic. Do not ask me how I know this.
Anyway back to the original question, when I was looking at the Kedel products I found that the sizes that I wanted to marry in with the existing Filcris were not always available in the colour I wanted and inevitably vici-verci.
As can be seen I have not actually used the Kedel products, so I cannot comment overall on their suitability for our type of usage, only my own opinion for matching in with my existing installation of Filcris.
Phil

pskipper
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pskipper » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:42 am

We had a look at them, when you added shipping filcris was much cheaper for what we wanted.