Bowaters FR carriages

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Bowaters FR carriages

Post by JMORG » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:28 am

Anyone had any experience with these kits? Quite fancy a modern FR rake but the droplight windows on the obs look way too narrow? The others look great however!

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Re: Bowaters FR carriages

Post by angr607 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:59 pm

JMORG wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:28 am Anyone had any experience with these kits? Quite fancy a modern FR rake but the droplight windows on the obs look way too narrow? The others look great however!
Just seen this :oops:

They're based on what little information I could find for them as surprisingly, the FR didn't even answer my e-mails! I admit the drop lights on the observation do look rather narrow but once painted they look fine. There's an image on the company Facebook of one painted up and it looks very nice in my opinion:- https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5A57C637

Hope that helps!

Oh and there might be others on the way incase 102 isn't suitable for your needs 8) Oh I do like to tease people when I've got something interesting in the works.........

Cheers,

Jon
Bowaters Models:- http://www.bowatersmodels.co.uk

Current Projects:-
Rebuilding the Railway!
Turning a Second hand 'Superior' into Bowaters 'Superior'

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:54 am

Already on your list Jon!
Quick question though, how do you paint your MDF panels?

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:13 am

JMORG wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:54 am Already on your list Jon!
Quick question though, how do you paint your MDF panels?
Happy days! I tend to just prime them and paint normally. No need for special attention. Some people use wood sealer but I don't tend to bother.

Cheers,

Jon
Bowaters Models:- http://www.bowatersmodels.co.uk

Current Projects:-
Rebuilding the Railway!
Turning a Second hand 'Superior' into Bowaters 'Superior'

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:11 pm

Boston Lodge carriage works seem to be a bit notorious for not working to drawings in particular, and turning one coach out a bit different to the previous one. That said, one of the guys in the carriage works was very accommodating when I measured 12/van 5 by hand a few years ago. I've just made a start on that particular project at last in the last few weeks...
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:08 am

I'm in Porthmadog at the moment. Can you casually visit B lodge? Would be nice to take the old man to have a look...
Anyways I had a ride in carriage 14 (ex L&B) and the new interior puts it on par with the observation cars; very nice leather seats, much better than a Superbarn.

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:23 pm

laalratty wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:11 pm Boston Lodge carriage works seem to be a bit notorious for not working to drawings in particular, and turning one coach out a bit different to the previous one. That said, one of the guys in the carriage works was very accommodating when I measured 12/van 5 by hand a few years ago. I've just made a start on that particular project at last in the last few weeks...
It isn't just the BLodge. In the days when craftsmanship reigned it was common for seeming identical vehicles to have slight differences. For example, according to Boyd (health warning) two of the IMR F21-26 series are a little longer than the others. Why? No one quite knows - perhaps Brown Marshall set the frames out a little wrong, and then rather than scrap the underframe, just made her fit! F19 and 20 were also a set of non-identical twins with one of them having more panels in the luggage van end of the vehicle than the other.

On the amateur side of things I find that if set out to make three identical wagons, they all have slight differences. It is just the way of things when you are hand building stock.

Cheers,
Peter in Va.
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:36 pm

JMORG wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:08 am I'm in Porthmadog at the moment. Can you casually visit B lodge? Would be nice to take the old man to have a look...
Not really I'm afraid, I've done a bit of volunteering at Boston Lodge and that has been what has got me in in the past. When I got the dimensions of number 12 it was an opportunist look in after seeing the coach being shunted into the old engine shed.
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."