16mm and its relationship with other scales

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 16mm and its relationship with other scales

Post by ge_rik » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:06 pm

I've said it before in another thread, but the attraction for me of 16mm scale in the garden is watching a train threading its way through a real landscape. There's something really evocative about seeing railway lines threading through natural vegetation. I've no idea why, but this notion has always attracted me. What inspired me to build a garden railway was initially Don Neale's wonderful Gauge 1 layout and then the Rev Peter Denny's Trepolpen Light Railway - a narrow gauge clockwork powered garden railway. If it's outdoors, it has to be larger scale to my mind. I did dabble with 00 outdoors very briefly, but it was too much hassle.

I have no idea if other modellers disparage 16mm scale - and to be honest it doesn't bother me in the slightest if they do. I know how much enjoyment I get out of my garden railway modelling.

Ooops, getting a bit too contemplative. Must get back to rubbing down my latest loco build.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:07 am

ge_rik wrote: ↑Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:06 pm

I have no idea if other modellers disparage 16mm scale - and to be honest it doesn't bother me in the slightest if they do. I know how much enjoyment I get out of my garden railway modelling.

Rik
Same for me Rik, I watched youtube videos and saw them running with smoke puffing out and the diesels were pulling some serious weight, has where the live steam and I thought, along with the heat in the shed when it was hot outside, that 16mm was for me.

Tingewickmax
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Tingewickmax » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:37 am

FWLR wrote: ↑Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:07 am
ge_rik wrote: ↑Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:06 pm I have no idea if other modellers disparage 16mm scale - and to be honest it doesn't bother me in the slightest if they do. I know how much enjoyment I get out of my garden railway modelling. Rik
Same for me Rik, I watched youtube videos and saw them running with smoke puffing out and the diesels were pulling some serious weight, has where the live steam and I thought, along with the heat in the shed when it was hot outside, that 16mm was for me.
Or you can have the best of all worlds - 16 mm (UK & colonial) & 15 mm (D&RGW/Logging). DC, Battery & Live steam. I think you will find that I does not matter what you are into, someone who isn't but in a related field will find a way to belittle or dismiss your particular interests.

Now those people who model 7/8 ths scale on 45 mm gauge, what's that all about............... :lol:

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:10 am

[quote=Tingewickmax post_id=135799 time=1525073841 user_id=2037]

Now those people who model 7/8 ths scale on 45 mm gauge, what's that all about............... :lol:
[/quote ]

Lucky this is a friendly forum or you would be cruisin for a bruisin, unless you're bigger than me.... :D :D

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:14 am

Had I know about 7/8ths I would of done that over 16mm as it's bigger but too invested in 16mm now.

Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Busted Bricks » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:32 pm

I'm doing 7/8ths as well. I like the size and since 45mm track is a pretty much the standard over here on the continent, it makes good sense.

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:20 pm

I've only been to one steam up in my life with my 7/8 Baldrig and had a serious 16 Miller explain "it's an American thing" to some non railway folk. I did feel a little miffed but grateful I can bite my tongue....y'all. :D

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:42 pm

And that's why the 16mm NGM will die one day because why would young people want to get involved with people like that.

Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Busted Bricks » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:43 pm

I can't take people who take a hobby too serious, serious. :mrgreen:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue May 01, 2018 7:01 am

I still can’t get my head around 7/8th’s, I know someone showed me a photo for comparison, but does it only run on 45mm track or can it run on 32mm has well.

I think it was Derek (bazzer42) or maybe not. :scratch:

11thHour
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by 11thHour » Tue May 01, 2018 11:19 am

FWLR wrote: ↑Tue May 01, 2018 7:01 am I still can’t get my head around 7/8th’s, I know someone showed me a photo for comparison, but does it only run on 45mm track or can it run on 32mm has well.

Simple,
On 32mm for 18” prototypes
On 45 mm for 24” prototypes

Tim

Tingewickmax
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Tingewickmax » Tue May 01, 2018 11:36 am

FWLR wrote: ↑Tue May 01, 2018 7:01 am I still can’t get my head around 7/8th’s, I know someone showed me a photo for comparison, but does it only run on 45mm track or can it run on 32mm has well.

It is supposed to represent 2 ft gauge prototypes, scaled around 1:13.7 (7/8th" to the foot) on 45 mm track. You could get away with representing 15" gauge prototypes on 32 mm at the same scale - say Ravenglass & Eskdale. Throws up the idea of running a G1 finescale Pacific with appropriate scale coaching stock and calling it the Romney Hythe and Dymchurch. Take a look here for more info on 15" gauge railways https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifteen-i ... ge_railway

My only contact with the 7/8"ths world came at a major local show about 2/3 years ago. I went up to a stand, representing that scale, and casually mentioned, "This is getting quite a popular scale". I was then subjected to a 5 minute rant about how "cheque book" modelers were ruining it all, blah, blah, blah. Not the way to promote your hobby. I made my excuses and left.

Edit - 11th hour you got there just as was typing.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue May 01, 2018 3:28 pm

Mmmm simple for some, but it’s not showing the scale difference (shall I say size too). :scratch:

Tingewickmax
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Tingewickmax » Tue May 01, 2018 5:03 pm

FWLR wrote: ↑Tue May 01, 2018 3:28 pm Mmmm simple for some, but it’s not showing the scale difference (shall I say size too). :scratch:
A 16 mm scale model is around 2/3rd the size of an equivalent 7/8"ths scale one - 1:19.3 v 1:13.9 respectively. Whether you can run your 2ft gauge prototype scaled at 7/8"th inch to the foot on either 45 mm or 32 mm gauged track depends on its manufacturer (or if it looks right to your eyes) - If it's an Accucraft Quarry Hunslet, Decauville type 1 (other 7/8"ths scale locos may be available) you can. Same argument, I suppose, as those who object to seeing an 16mm scale L&B Lyn running on 45 mm track. Of course if its a 16 mm scale W&L Earl/Countess on 45 mm gauge track then you can only really quibble about the rail code and sleeper spacing. :lol:

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Tue May 01, 2018 7:06 pm

I use to play with 7/8ths stuff. It is big... actually too big for my taste which is why I dropped down to 1:20n3.

It has a small following with limited commercial support.

There is a dedicated 7/8ths forum:

http://www.7-8ths.info

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Tue May 01, 2018 7:26 pm

I quite like making representational chunky crap so it appeals to me.

If i had laid 32mm track I would probably running Binnies galore behind 16mm scale locos, it's the industrial look I like...
Dwayne wrote: ↑Tue May 01, 2018 7:06 pm I use to play with 7/8ths stuff. It is big... actually too big for my taste which is why I dropped down to 1:20n3.

It has a small following with limited commercial support.

There is a dedicated 7/8ths forum:

http://www.7-8ths.info
That is one forum that I visit but don't post much as it appears to me a bit of a rivet counters, old boys network where my stuff probably isn't good enough. Love the gallery though.

I likes it here :D

PS It was me Rod, shall I confuse again? :lol:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed May 02, 2018 7:43 am

Yes please Derek….can I see the size difference again. Would I be able to run a 7/8th’s on 32mm track.

We may have found a new place to live. I am not intending to change to 45mm gauge though, like Tom, I have already got my 32mm live steam + the battery stuff, but I may be going down the 2 track route this time if Anne will let me have slightly more room, I don’t know yet until we get in there. :thumbright: :thumbright:

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Wed May 02, 2018 8:54 am

Yes you can Rod it will just mean your track will be very narrow in scale in comparison i.e. about 17" gauge or as near as dammit 18". If you do the maths 32mm gauge track is two foot wide if you are using 16mm to the foot. It will accentuate the narrowness of the track as everything is that much more chunky.

45mm wide track at 22mm to the foot (7/8th in metric) is as near as dammit 2ft gauge.

I crossed over to 7/8th because my 45mm gauge binnie tippers looked odd to my eyes when modelling in 16mm i.e. they looked broad gauge!

As an aside I never wear a vest.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed May 02, 2018 9:07 am

Mmmmm :scratch: Thanks Derek. I may have to buy a 7/8th’s wagon or something of that irk and try it. If it looks odd to me I can always use it for something else, like a it’s been scrapped or something else. :thumbright:

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Wed May 02, 2018 11:37 am

In all hobbies/interests/groups you always get those that want to decry other interests or efforts and claim theirs as superior. We model and build what we like, because of our own reasons.

I come across this all the time at the East Lancashire Railway. Steam v diesel, GWR v LNER etc. Mostly good it's natured banter. It was similar in a model railway club I used to go to usually about scale and guage there too.

Whilst is shouldn't happen, it does and it shouldn't stop one doing what one likes and enjoys. After all we do it for enjoyment. Well I do. I am 16mm on 32mm guage track. I have my own reasons for chosing that. I do admire and look at other scales and guages, but not with a view to changing. I like it and have invested in it. I also do 4mm work, loco building and painting for friend and help operate his layout at model railway shows. Again, I enjoy doing it. Its all part of a very broad hobby which I enjoy.

Ian
Ian