16mm and its relationship with other scales

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
listerboy
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: 16mm and its relationship with other scales

Post by listerboy » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:39 pm

Thanks Big Jim! Although to be honest my faith in exhibiting there has taken a hit. I wouldn't have a problem with a Thomas layout like you describe, if it interests the children, possibly even an adult, it can't be a bad thing.

I will hopefully be exhibiting at the Cultra model railway day in November. I've always liked that as I should be surrounded by Donegal Railway vehicles!

Tingewickmax
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Tingewickmax » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:41 pm

It seems in all of human endeavours that given a chance there will always be one or more who will cause a schism. Luckily I'm a member of a 16 mm group who have very wide ranging tastes - 32/45 mm gauges, 7/8"inch/15/16 mm/1:22.5/24 scales, prototypical/freelance, battery/gas/coal power, steam/electric/diesel/whimsical outline, manual/RC.........You get the picture, we just love running trains in the garden......and village halls and...... Somehow we all manage to rub along quite nicely. Well at least till I get my 1:20.3 3 cylinder Shay steamer out. Everybody hates that one as it goes round and round and round so s-l-o-w-l-y. Oh, and I do DC too on my line, Heretic ! :D

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:31 pm

I have a 00 layout in the loft-or to be precise am in the process of rebuilding one. I am becoming increasingly fond of my old Hornby Dublo and Triang models which seem to have so much character and remind me of my youth. Also, they can be bought for reasonable prices on ebay. I have some modern Bachmann etc too but I now refuse to pay ridiculously inflated prices. I know they are more accurate to scale etc but the old stuff just seems so robust and the locos will pull anything. I'm not tempted by DCC ( or anything digital) and my old fashioned diesels emit a lovely growl so who needs soundcards?! It's only for fun anyway!
At heart I am an outdoor person, and my wife and myself love working in the garden, so with live steam as an added bonus it's not surprising that most of my effort currently goes into building a 16mm line. Currently got 10 metres of trackbed prepared for tracklaying, now for the straight section behind the pond.... :)

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:14 pm

We so need a "like" button on this forum. Several posts needed one! I have owned several different live steamers, from several major brands including a couple gauge 1 Aster engines. But I have gotten the most enjoyment from the 2 engines I have now, an LGB/Aster Frank S to go with my LGB narrow gauge European wagons and coaches, and my Roundhouse Bertie that I sold and regretted, and then just bought back. Sometimes the simple engines are the most fun. Heck, lot of guys/gals have lot of fun with Mamod/MSS engines despite thier short comings. While I long to do 32mm gauge, my choice in engines are not regaugeable, and most every line I run on is 45mm as that track is the easiest to come by in the USA. But just like any other scale or hobby, just have fun and not let others dictate how you enjoy your hobby. Every hobby has its snobs, be it model trains or my antique garden tractors. And I have told off guys in both hobbys. If they do not like it, move on as your comments are not welcome. Rule number 1, its my railway/tractor, rule 2, if in doubt, refer back to rule number 1! Mike the Aspie
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:43 pm

artfull dodger wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:14 pm We so need a "like" button on this forum.
NO...NO...NO... never! We need sensible communication and response to posts, not the simplicity to say 'like'..... that is the end of conversation!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Killian Keane
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Killian Keane » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:02 am

I've just seen an advert for accurascale, who are offering 3 wagons for £60, now their level of detail is extraordinary, graduations legible on gauges etc, but at any normal exhibition who would be able to see such detail? Don't get me wrong, fantastic to see such detail but for the same price I reckon I could build 6 16mm scale wagons i.e twice as many wagons, four times the size
Blokes with tea can build anything

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:57 am

Peter Butler wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:43 pm NO...NO...NO... never! We need sensible communication and response to posts, not the simplicity to say 'like'..... that is the end of conversation!
I agree absolutely.
Greg from downunder.
The Sandstone & Termite's website: https://members.optusnet.com.au/satr/satr.htm

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:31 am

Peter Butler wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:43 pm
artfull dodger wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:14 pm We so need a "like" button on this forum.
NO...NO...NO... never! We need sensible communication and response to posts, not the simplicity to say 'like'..... that is the end of conversation!
I agree with both of you!! :lol:
Seriously, there are quite often posts that I agree with or can relate too, but it isn't worth clogging up the board with a "me too" post that actually contributes nothing, so I do nothing. A "like" button would solve that for me. OTOH I agree that one of the beauties of this forum is the wide ranging discussions that go on - even if they sometimes go a little ( a lot?) off topic and drive Tom nuts! :lol:
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:50 am

Peter Butler wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:43 pm
I agree with Peter and others…No “Like” button for me.

On the subject of snobbishness, I was at a local N Gauge show last year and there was a guy showing a Thomas layout and the amount of negative comment he received was awful to say the least. Model trains are model trains no matter what gauge or scale, can’t understand some people at all when they say that’s not a proper model.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:57 am

When this forum was hosted by myfreeforum.org they added the Facebook 'Like' feature to posts and I remember most members kicking off saying they didn't want it.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:13 pm

Thanks Tom, let's hope it stays that way.
That should be enough said on the subject and we can return to the topic.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:21 pm

gregh wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:57 am
Peter Butler wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:43 pm NO...NO...NO... never! We need sensible communication and response to posts, not the simplicity to say 'like'..... that is the end of conversation!
I agree absolutely.
Facebook_like_thumb - small.png
Facebook_like_thumb - small.png (12.79 KiB) Viewed 6264 times
Sorry - couldn't resist ........ :oops:

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:28 pm

We need sensible communication
That's me scuppered then, I'll be off........... :wave:
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:29 pm

Stop it Jim….. :lol: :lol: :lol:

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:51 am

Long live Thomas or any layout that encourages the younger generation to get involved and build something. I will do my annual pilgrimage to the Bristol (Thornbury now) that I have attended for years with an ex work colleague. He died suddenly just over two years ago but our tea and cake chat was always on how old the audience was. Perhaps it was always that way but with more expensive housing and limited possibilities for a good pension I do fear for the future of the hobby and for the young in general.

If my grandson shows a glimmer of interest he's doomed :D

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:44 am

bazzer42 wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:51 am Long live Thomas or any layout that encourages the younger generation to get involved and build something. With more expensive housing and limited possibilities for a good pension I do fear for the future of the hobby and for the young in general.
:thumbright: I agree. Thomas probably accounts for a lot of people getting interested in railways. We hold Thomas events on the Preserved railway where I volunteer. While not popular amongst "serious" enthusiasts, they, along with Santa's, are extremely popular. I will support whatever encourages interest in full sized or model railways. The young are our future.
Ian

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:53 am

bazzer42 wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:51 am
Perhaps it was always that way but with more expensive housing and limited possibilities for a good pension I do fear for the future of the hobby and for the young in general.

If my grandson shows a glimmer of interest he's doomed :D
Pension Derek, what pension…most of us when we were younger thought has they do now…”Why do I need to save for a pension” But I do have a modest private pension, that is keeping us afloat, until Anne retires and then….well, we will just have to go with the flow…. :thumbright: :thumbright:

Our Grandsons, especially the eldest, loves going to run his little Pickup and now running my live steamer whenever he comes round, sadly not enough for our liking though.

Just had a thought :idea: I need to check the batteries in the electric locos………!!!

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:35 pm

FWLR wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:53 am Pension Derek, what pension…most of us when we were younger thought has they do now…”Why do I need to save for a pension” But I do have a modest private pension, that is keeping us afloat, until Anne retires and then….well, we will just have to go with the flow….
I am very, very lucky to have been made redundant from local government at age 56 - good old govt cutbacks. The Council as I left, and has now finished, was moving staff into a limited company so that any new staff get a crap pension. Existing employees are protected but any youngster coming in....

When I started in local government the two old guys opposite kept on and on about their pension...see why now.!

PS cross threading - What's brown and sticky? ----- a stick!

Tingewickmax
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Tingewickmax » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:45 pm

bazzer42 wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:35 pm
FWLR wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:53 am Pension Derek, what pension…most of us when we were younger thought has they do now…”Why do I need to save for a pension” But I do have a modest private pension, that is keeping us afloat, until Anne retires and then….well, we will just have to go with the flow….
I am very, very lucky to have been made redundant from local government at age 56 - good old govt cutbacks. The Council as I left, and has now finished, was moving staff into a limited company so that any new staff get a crap pension. Existing employees are protected but any youngster coming in....

When I started in local government the two old guys opposite kept on and on about their pension...see why now.!

Same is happening in the commercial world too. Defined benefit pensions cut for defined contribution. About half the payout for the same investment = deffered income paycut. Never mind the wage stagnation of the past decade. Don't forget the large swathes of middle income jobs dissapearing to be replaced by lower income ones and/or underemployment due to modern information technology and automation. These personnel and income groups are the seedbed for ours and other hobbies, not to mention those who might volenteer their time for preservation railways and other activities. The future does not bode well.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:49 am

Tingewickmax wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:45 pm
bazzer42 wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:35 pm

These personnel and income groups are the seedbed for ours and other hobbies, not to mention those who might volenteer their time for preservation railways and other activities. The future does not bode well.
But it’s the volunteers that are keeping the preservation railways going, that are keeping the youngsters interested in model railways. :thumbright:

My own Grandkids were going to see steam trains before I was getting involved with model rail, so every time Anne and I go to a heritage railway we buy or give has much as we can to help them in their ongoing efforts to keep them open and more importantly…running. :thumbright: :thumbright: