16mm and its relationship with other scales

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Re: 16mm and its relationship with other scales

Post by bazzer42 » Tue May 01, 2018 7:26 pm

I quite like making representational chunky crap so it appeals to me.

If i had laid 32mm track I would probably running Binnies galore behind 16mm scale locos, it's the industrial look I like...
Dwayne wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 7:06 pm I use to play with 7/8ths stuff. It is big... actually too big for my taste which is why I dropped down to 1:20n3.

It has a small following with limited commercial support.

There is a dedicated 7/8ths forum:

http://www.7-8ths.info
That is one forum that I visit but don't post much as it appears to me a bit of a rivet counters, old boys network where my stuff probably isn't good enough. Love the gallery though.

I likes it here :D

PS It was me Rod, shall I confuse again? :lol:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed May 02, 2018 7:43 am

Yes please Derek….can I see the size difference again. Would I be able to run a 7/8th’s on 32mm track.

We may have found a new place to live. I am not intending to change to 45mm gauge though, like Tom, I have already got my 32mm live steam + the battery stuff, but I may be going down the 2 track route this time if Anne will let me have slightly more room, I don’t know yet until we get in there. :thumbright: :thumbright:

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Wed May 02, 2018 8:54 am

Yes you can Rod it will just mean your track will be very narrow in scale in comparison i.e. about 17" gauge or as near as dammit 18". If you do the maths 32mm gauge track is two foot wide if you are using 16mm to the foot. It will accentuate the narrowness of the track as everything is that much more chunky.

45mm wide track at 22mm to the foot (7/8th in metric) is as near as dammit 2ft gauge.

I crossed over to 7/8th because my 45mm gauge binnie tippers looked odd to my eyes when modelling in 16mm i.e. they looked broad gauge!

As an aside I never wear a vest.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed May 02, 2018 9:07 am

Mmmmm :scratch: Thanks Derek. I may have to buy a 7/8th’s wagon or something of that irk and try it. If it looks odd to me I can always use it for something else, like a it’s been scrapped or something else. :thumbright:

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Wed May 02, 2018 11:37 am

In all hobbies/interests/groups you always get those that want to decry other interests or efforts and claim theirs as superior. We model and build what we like, because of our own reasons.

I come across this all the time at the East Lancashire Railway. Steam v diesel, GWR v LNER etc. Mostly good it's natured banter. It was similar in a model railway club I used to go to usually about scale and guage there too.

Whilst is shouldn't happen, it does and it shouldn't stop one doing what one likes and enjoys. After all we do it for enjoyment. Well I do. I am 16mm on 32mm guage track. I have my own reasons for chosing that. I do admire and look at other scales and guages, but not with a view to changing. I like it and have invested in it. I also do 4mm work, loco building and painting for friend and help operate his layout at model railway shows. Again, I enjoy doing it. Its all part of a very broad hobby which I enjoy.

Ian
Ian

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Wed May 02, 2018 7:14 pm

Very well put Ian. I couldn't agree more! :thumbleft:

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Wed May 02, 2018 8:05 pm

Soar Valley Light wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 7:14 pm Very well put Ian. I couldn't agree more! :thumbleft:

Andrew
Thank you.

Ian
Ian

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu May 03, 2018 7:06 am

I have said the very same thing when I was involved with the 2mm stuff. I used to go to shows with other forum members and quite a few of them wouldn’t entertain the bigger stuff, mainly OO, and wouldn’t be seen dead looking at some of the brilliant modelling that was achieved with them. The look of distain when ever I did, which was most of the time, was unreal.

I was looking at this and marvelling at the time and more importantly the skill that it took the two guys to build this, the drive, bogie and trailing wheels all moved in time when they slowed it down or sped up.. but the guy I went with just said, “That’s not N Gauge” I couldn’t believe my hears….

JPEG image-4EADB53B8126-1.jpeg
JPEG image-4EADB53B8126-1.jpeg (233.68 KiB) Viewed 6261 times
JPEG image-953CC41E6062-1.jpeg
JPEG image-953CC41E6062-1.jpeg (248.78 KiB) Viewed 6261 times
JPEG image-189E61A9814C-1.jpeg
JPEG image-189E61A9814C-1.jpeg (192.08 KiB) Viewed 6261 times
It was like I had suddenly grown horns or something :reindeer:

We don’t have anything with horns… :toothy8: :toothy8:

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Thu May 03, 2018 8:34 am

That Meccano locomotive is a work of art, I'd have stopped for a good look at it too. It's very impressive.

I've looked at allsorts at model railway shows, from 009n to gauge 1 and early steam to modern traction. Most of which I don't model or get involved with but I can learn or draw inspiration from most things. If there's nothing to interest me I might not linger for long, but if something gets my attention then regardless of scale, gauge or era then I'll stay much longer.

Sometimes I can only wonder at the skill in other people and aspire to improve my own work.

Ian
Ian

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu May 03, 2018 8:43 am

So do I, but unfortunately I will never achieve it…. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I forgot to mention that the two guys spent over 1000 hrs making it….I took over 3/4 qtrs of an hour admiring it…… :lol:

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Thu May 03, 2018 8:45 am

That makes it even more impressive. Something I could never do and certainly worth admiring.

Ian
Ian

Tingewickmax
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Tingewickmax » Thu May 03, 2018 11:04 am

One of the biggest problems with the larger scales, like 16 mm, is trying to convey the feel of their appeal in the garden environment in a show setting. Smaller scales can be built into compact, detailed and prototypical portable senic layouts that tell a story with reletive ease. If there were a way to create a landscaped layout at a show that portrayed the more "bucolic" nature of our part of the hobbby, where imagination might be seen as being at more of a premium, I'm sure more people would "get it".

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Thu May 03, 2018 5:57 pm

Tingewickmax wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 11:04 am One of the biggest problems with the larger scales, like 16 mm, is trying to convey the feel of their appeal in the garden environment in a show setting. Smaller scales can be built into compact, detailed and prototypical portable senic layouts that tell a story with reletive ease. If there were a way to create a landscaped layout at a show that portrayed the more "bucolic" nature of our part of the hobbby, where imagination might be seen as being at more of a premium, I'm sure more people would "get it".
I agree. A couple of weeks ago I was at an exhibition in Liverpool where a team with a G scale LGB layout tried to do just that by laying artificial grass, garden gnomes and other garden features to portray a layout in the garden.

Ian
Ian

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu May 03, 2018 6:07 pm

This is a good scenic layout that can match detailed smaller scale layouts:

https://www.youtube.com/user/stevehoward99

I find tail chasing layouts boring if I am honest which is why I have never bothered with the 16mm NGM show.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat May 05, 2018 10:24 am

That is a great shunting layout Tom :thumbright:

But the point for me of doing an indoor little show is to try and get more youngsters involved in the hobby mate. It was pointed out earlier in the thread that it is more of an “old mans” hobby, which I suppose it is, but can’t we try and get more younger people involved, meaning anyone younger than retired people or near retirement.

The local heritage steam line in Hesketh Bank do a brilliant job when they have their open days, which can run to 2 or 3 times a year, the young kids especially love to see the layout that is displayed by the Mersey & North West Group organiser’s.

:thumbright: :thumbright: