Chassis, please help me

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
GTB
Driver
Driver

Re: Chassis, please help me

Post by GTB » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:33 pm

-steves-:119806 wrote: Not sure what you been by the "2 mechs" part, could you explain it for me.
This is a builders photo of a Hunslet diesel from the 1930s, used on the 18" gauge railway at Woolwich Arsenal. The bogies look like two small diesel chassis. The loco is a B-B, not a C-C, the end cranks are on a layshaft and are part of the drive mechanism, not a third axle.

Using two 0-4-0 mechanisms and some weights with a single body gives you a large diesel with more power for longer trains, or for hauling dead steam locos back home.

Railcars of the pre-war period often had coupled wheels on the power bogie, like this Tasmanian one, built from Drewry parts in the 1920s.

It isn't a very clear photo, but it is basically just a bogie coach with a small 0-4-0 diesel chassis replacing the front bogie and a driving cab at each end.

Regards,
Graeme

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:01 pm

GTB:119836 wrote:
-steves-:119806 wrote: Not sure what you been by the "2 mechs" part, could you explain it for me.
This is a builders photo of a Hunslet diesel from the 1930s, used on the 18" gauge railway at Woolwich Arsenal. The bogies look like two small diesel chassis. The loco is a B-B, not a C-C, the end cranks are on a layshaft and are part of the drive mechanism, not a third axle.

Using two 0-4-0 mechanisms and some weights with a single body gives you a large diesel with more power for longer trains, or for hauling dead steam locos back home.

Railcars of the pre-war period often had coupled wheels on the power bogie, like this Tasmanian one, built from Drewry parts in the 1920s.

It isn't a very clear photo, but it is basically just a bogie coach with a small 0-4-0 diesel chassis replacing the front bogie and a driving cab at each end.

Regards,
Graeme
Loving that Hunslett, I have 2 smaller chassis that could be easily adapted to take a drive lay shaft and I pretty sure I could knock up some soft of extra shaft and bearings as I have done this before, my problem generally comes with the accuracy of the holes in the chassis compared to the additional crank length and it then not turning properly :( I am sure I have some metal that I could practice with, well thats potentially another 2 chassis taken care of, I think that only leaves one or two now :)
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:44 pm

-steves-:119837 wrote: Loving that Hunslett, I have 2 smaller chassis that could be easily adapted to take a drive lay shaft and I pretty sure I could knock up some soft of extra shaft and bearings as I have done this before, my problem generally comes with the accuracy of the holes in the chassis compared to the additional crank length and it then not turning properly :( I am sure I have some metal that I could practice with, well thats potentially another 2 chassis taken care of, I think that only leaves one or two now :)
Personally, I wouldn't bother adding the layshaft, as a 2' gauge loco would have more space between the wheels for the final drives and unlike an 18" gauge one, may not need a layshaft.

There were some 2' Hunslet diesels in South Africa that had similar bogies, but without the layshaft. You'll find a photo near the bottom of this RMWeb page.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... -railways/

My interests in diesels tend towards the early ones, especially with boxcab style bodywork riding on bogies with side rods. There's one on my bucket list, but it's a long way down that list...... :roll:

Graeme

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:03 pm

GTB:119838 wrote:
-steves-:119837 wrote: Loving that Hunslett, I have 2 smaller chassis that could be easily adapted to take a drive lay shaft and I pretty sure I could knock up some soft of extra shaft and bearings as I have done this before, my problem generally comes with the accuracy of the holes in the chassis compared to the additional crank length and it then not turning properly :( I am sure I have some metal that I could practice with, well thats potentially another 2 chassis taken care of, I think that only leaves one or two now :)
Personally, I wouldn't bother adding the layshaft, as a 2' gauge loco would have more space between the wheels for the final drives and unlike an 18" gauge one, may not need a layshaft.

There were some 2' Hunslet diesels in South Africa that had similar bogies, but without the layshaft. You'll find a photo near the bottom of this RMWeb page.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... -railways/

My interests in diesels tend towards the early ones, especially with boxcab style bodywork riding on bogies with side rods. There's one on my bucket list, but it's a long way down that list...... :roll:

Graeme
I assume you meant the green one with the side covers off. Liking the running set up of that so could go for a mix of the two, but it would be nice to do something "close" to something real, somight just go for the green one even though I prefer the looks of the Hunslett I am not sure I cn manage that extra lay shaft, lol.

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:15 pm

GTB:119836 wrote: Railcars of the pre-war period often had coupled wheels on the power bogie, like this Tasmanian one, built from Drewery parts in the 1920s.

Was it a bit of a devil??

(ducks & runs)
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:06 am

MDLR:119841 wrote:
Was it a bit of a devil??

(ducks & runs)
Being a British design, odds are it gave a devil of an uncomfortable ride......

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:02 pm

An old thread, but I did say one day I was going to have one of those ;)
Attachments
Capture1.JPG
Capture1.JPG (56.6 KiB) Viewed 5879 times

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:16 am

-steves- wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:02 pm An old thread, but I did say one day I was going to have one of those ;)
Does this mean it's on the way to becoming a reality?

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:01 pm

ge_rik wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:16 am
-steves- wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:02 pm An old thread, but I did say one day I was going to have one of those ;)
Does this mean it's on the way to becoming a reality?

Rik
It might be ;)

IMG-20211031-WA0000.jpeg
IMG-20211031-WA0000.jpeg (383 KiB) Viewed 5800 times
Attachments
IMG-20211031-WA0002.jpeg
IMG-20211031-WA0002.jpeg (730.81 KiB) Viewed 5800 times

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:25 pm

Corrrr...... that's nice!

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:40 pm

Wot 'e sed! :D :thumbright:
Philip

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:41 pm

ge_rik wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:25 pm Corrrr...... that's nice!

Rik
Such a shame it doesn't fit in with you era of running stock ;)

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:08 pm

-steves- wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:41 pm

Rik
The Woolwich Arsenal railway had some lovely officers' saloons, kind of like the Corris saloons, but with the same roof profile as the Ffestiniog's curvy roofed van...

The loco's looking great Steve! I was born in Woolwich, and worked there before moving to Bristol, so I have a soft spot for the Woolwich Arsenal railway...

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:09 pm

Steve,
It seems pretty clear that everything in the chassis is printed apart from some brass bushes and the axles & gear. My big question is, are the cranks simply as printed or have they been trued up on the lathe/mill?
Philip

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:14 pm

Andrew wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:08 pm

The Woolwich Arsenal railway had some lovely officers' saloons, kind of like the Corris saloons, but with the same roof profile as the Ffestiniog's curvy roofed van...

The loco's looking great Steve! I was born in Woolwich, and worked there before moving to Bristol, so I have a soft spot for the Woolwich Arsenal railway...
My Dad was Safety Officer at the Arsenal before he retired. I did get a look round some of the less classified parts of the site but sadly not until after the railway was finished. However he did purloin a copy of the "RCH Handbook of Stations" for me, which carries a stamp for The Woolwich Arsenal Movements Control, dated August 1940.
Philip

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:37 pm

philipy wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:09 pm Steve,
It seems pretty clear that everything in the chassis is printed apart from some brass bushes and the axles & gear. My big question is, are the cranks simply as printed or have they been trued up on the lathe/mill?
Indeed, everything is printed except for the axles, bushes and gears. Neither the wheels nor the cranks have been finished in the mill or lathe, simply renamed out with a small hand drill, very slowly. The wheels give a nice tight fit and don't slip and the cranks have some tiny weeny 2mm grub screws in them. I would have milled the edge of the axles for easy quartering but my mill is in bits right now waiting for me to get the parts to fix it. It runs very very nicely although I have not had time to video it yet. The first one will remain in black as I don't have time to paint it, them next one will likely be blue.

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:42 pm

Andrew wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:08 pm
-steves- wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:41 pm

Rik

It appears that both you and Philip have background with this railway, not that I am envyous at all :oops: :twisted:

I have so many pictures of this loco that I got from the Internet, clearly someone else was measuring it up for scale too.

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Tue May 31, 2022 2:55 pm

Steve, did you ever post a video of this loco?

Phil.P

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Tue May 31, 2022 5:02 pm

Phil.P wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 2:55 pm Steve, did you ever post a video of this loco?

Phil.P
Hi Phil

No, I never posted a video of this loco, it actually runs quite well, all be it, a little noisy on the gears. The loco never even got sprayed and in fact, I just looked for it and can't even find it :oops: :oops: