Recent Stuff on the FBGR

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Re: Recent Stuff on the FBGR

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:16 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:49 am They enjoy their hobby I'm sure but don't seem to share their experiences with us 'seniors'!
Because we are not retired and do not have as much time as you 'seniors' do ;)

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:39 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:49 am I'm beginning to be concerned about the combined age of some of the regular contributors to the Forum and wonder why the younger generation are not staying with us?
Peter,
When I was about 40 years younger than I am now, I seem to remember the model railway press had a continual stream of letters saying much the same thing.
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:18 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:16 pm
Peter Butler wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:49 am They enjoy their hobby I'm sure but don't seem to share their experiences with us 'seniors'!
Because we are not retired and do not have as much time as you 'seniors' do ;)
Tom, you are an exception, you not only work, you also keep us posted on your railway build as well as keeping us all in check on the Forum..... for all your efforts we are grateful. It is the others I wonder about. As previously stated, I will have nothing to do with facebook but I wouldn't be surprised to hear that more members post there than on here; is it because it is simpler/quicker and takes less time or because it gets to a wider audience and receives a better response ?
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:37 pm

Tom, you are an exception, you not only work, you also keep us posted on your railway build as well as keeping us all in check on the Forum..... for all your efforts we are grateful. It is the others I wonder about. As previously stated, I will have nothing to do with facebook but I wouldn't be surprised to hear that more members post there than on here; is it because it is simpler/quicker and takes less time or because it gets to a wider audience and receives a better response ?
I have joined the Facebook group only to see Peter Bakkes lovely set up. It is easier to post pictures but I do prefer the forum as it is a library of information I can easily access.

Going back to an earlier post I do wonder what future there is in the hobby for youngsters today. Student loans, colossal mortgages or rents and probably working til their 70 for a poor pension. Steam locos seem to broadly hold their value but I do wonder for how much longer if there is no disposable income. On that cheery note I will enjoy the rest of my holiday!

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:09 pm

I increasingly loathe Facebook - mainly because of the amount of Politics/Celeb (to whom?) news that gets shoved on my "news" feed - mainly because I think we are all being played. I have a quick look at the 16mm Associate page from time to time, and a couple of church related pages, but other than that I would rather not go anywhere near the cesspit of the internet on a regular basis. The Forum is a lot more fun in that apart from a bit of banter, and chit-chat, it does what it says on the header, and that is what I like.

Cheers,
Peter in VA
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:58 am

I have a FB account and yes it does have loads of rubbish on it, but you can block it, and since getting interested in garden railways i now have more groups to look at on garden railways and the rubbish seems to stop coming. It seems the more you like and read certain groups i.e. Garden Railways Groups of any description the less you get to see the rubbish and yes it is easy to load photos and videos on there, on here i believe you have to go on youtube and then share it on here, can be a bit of a fuffle, but it’s not the end of the world.

i for one have learnt so much more on here then Facebook though. Happy Modelling.

Rod.

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:29 am

FWLR wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:58 am it is easy to load photos and videos on there, on here i believe you have to go on youtube and then share it on here,
Not strictly true, Rod. For video's yes and I agree that is a bit of a pain, but photos couldn't be simpler. If I wanted to add a photo to this post, I simply find it on my computer, drag&drop it onto this post, then hit the "Place inline" button. Simples! I've never understood why people insist on using Photobucket, Flickr, etc. to post pictures on here.
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:36 am

I agree Phillip with the photos, it is simplicity it self, maybe the easiest i have come across on forum’s, you can select quite a few photos at the same time, i did six i think all at once and took no time to load, but tried a video and it didn’t want to know, unless of course i load it up to youtube (that can take ages depending on file size) then load it on to here, which is straight forward enough though Phillip isn’t.

Happy Modelling Phillip. :thumbright: :thumbright:

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:26 am

Can we stop hijacking this thread please ;)

Happy for banter in another topic.

To add videos from YouTube:

https://gardenrails.org/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=9208

If we allowed video uploads to the forum we would run out of space very quickly!

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:23 am

Very sorry Tom, i didn’t mean to hi-jack the thread, i was just replying to earlier post’s. :oops:

But i do think most youngsters now are maybe a bit put off by the thinking that it’s an old man’s/persons hobby, how to get them involved in the hobby, i think the 16mm association may have part of the answer by having a Family subscription at not a hefty price, that way the parent/grandparent can include them at steam ups, so getting them involved more.

Unfortunately on the videos i have seen of steam ups there are virtually no young people there. :(

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:13 am

ge_rik wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:50 pm
BCATRR wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:25 am Why isn’t Creosote sold anymore.
Elf n' safety
  • Since 30 April 2003 retailers can no longer sell creosote and coal tar creosote wood preservatives to the general public in Great Britain
    Since 30 June 2003 general public can no longer use creosote and coal tar creosote wood preservatives in Great Britain
See - http://www.hse.gov.uk/biocides/copr/creosote.htm

Rik
But a visit to a friendly agricultural merchants can provide the illicit stuff, which is still allowed for agricultural purposes. No contradiction there - safe for use near stuff we eat, but not in your own back garden! :roll:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:54 pm

Lonsdaler wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:13 am
ge_rik wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:50 pm
BCATRR wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:25 am Why isn’t Creosote sold anymore.
Elf n' safety
  • Since 30 April 2003 retailers can no longer sell creosote and coal tar creosote wood preservatives to the general public in Great Britain
    Since 30 June 2003 general public can no longer use creosote and coal tar creosote wood preservatives in Great Britain
See - http://www.hse.gov.uk/biocides/copr/creosote.htm

Rik
But a visit to a friendly agricultural merchants can provide the illicit stuff, which is still allowed for agricultural purposes. No contradiction there - safe for use near stuff we eat, but not in your own back garden! :roll:
That seems really ridiculous Phil, can use it near food, but not in the garden :scratch:

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:52 pm

The diktat from "the safety elves" seems to be more of response to a perceived operator stupidity problem than any real risk from creosote itself. I would imagine it carries the same very slight cancer risk as every other petroleum derivative, but then, you should not be getting washed in the stuff. My grandfather's approach was that creosote was safe enough if (a) you kept it off your skin, and (b) did not drink it. The second comment was also a tongue in cheek reference to how I like my coffee!

The main argument against the creosote ban is that the replacements are total rubbish!

Cheers,
Peter in Va
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:30 am

The main argument against the creosote ban is that the replacements are total rubbish!
As are a good many other substitutes, in the name of "health and safety".
Grant.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:09 am

IrishPeter wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:52 pm My grandfather's approach was that creosote was safe enough if (a) you kept it off your skin, and (b) did not drink it. The second comment was also a tongue in cheek reference to how I like my coffee!

Cheers,
Peter in Va

Agree with you there Peter, the replacements are rubbish and flipping expensive too. The keeping it of your skin is true too, when i was a kid, my Father made what was called interwoven fencing then, (fence panels now). I had the unenviable job of spraying the stuff on to the panels and posts, although i had a mask on, i didn’t wear goggles so my eyes were stinging like crazy, lesson learnt once......

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:10 pm

Having worked with sleepers most of my life and coated fences across three counties, all with the minimal of use of PPE, I can honestly say that I've never gone rusty!
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:18 am

Nor I.... :thumbright: :thumbleft:

FBGR
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by FBGR » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:46 pm

Back to the FBGR.

Here is the latest, with the replaced section of decking backed up by the re-painted factory background and the loco shed replaced (in a slightly revised location / orientation) with track going into same.
DSCF4373.jpg
DSCF4373.jpg (193.42 KiB) Viewed 9642 times
Now we can start to fill in the places round the shed and tracks.

For the next area of timber decking which has had some of its supports rot away, we are considering rebuilding using mostly plastic of some form, mainly to prevent further extended discussion on the merits and availability of creosote.

JOhn
The world's going to end very soon --- so I'd better try to get something finished by then

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:00 am

Sorry about that John, looking good though, where did you get your engine shed from, it’s great.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:39 pm

That's a nice tidy workman-like job John, well done. Should last a good few years by the look of it.

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"