The Great Garden Railway Inspection Reports

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
Lonsdaler
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: The Great Garden Railway Inspection Reports

Post by Lonsdaler » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:32 pm

SimonWood wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:40 am
Love the crate materialisation. I see the Doctor still hasn't worked out how to rig up a working chameleon circuit though!

The sign-writing is very crisp - how is that achieved?
Is the chameleon circuit the one that was supposed to make the TARDIS blend into it's surroundings? I'm guessing so, but I don't think the INSpector was offered that when his crate was modernised :lol: :lol:
The sign writing is laser printed, onto water resistant durable labels by Avery (iirc). Since the station was placed outside and left there in 2016, I have had to renew it once (early last year) due to sun fade.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:51 pm

Lonsdaler wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:26 pm

I wasn't too happy with the animated gif for the crates arrival, so I've remastered it as a video, albeit a short one. Do go back and view it - I think it is improved! :lol:
And I am determined to get this inspection done, although it might be in dribs and drabs :thumbup:
I think it's brilluant and I'm glad you mentioned it because tbhI hadn't realised that it was animated before! :oops:

dribs and drabs is good, it will pad the thread out, because I don't think we have anyone else on the list, so if anyone wants an inspection please PM me - don't post on this thread.

Lonsdaler
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:34 pm

philipy wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:51 pm
I think it's brilliant and I'm glad you mentioned it because tbh I hadn't realised that it was animated before!
Thanks Philip,
That's precisely why I redid it, it didn't seem to continue running as an animated gif.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:16 pm

Fantastic stuff!

It's a lovely looking station (the inspector will surely be impressed?!), I look forward to seeing the rest of the line...

Glad you're on the mend,

Andrew.

SimonWood
Fireman
Fireman

Post by SimonWood » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:57 pm

Lonsdaler wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:32 pm
Is the chameleon circuit the one that was supposed to make the TARDIS blend into it's surroundings? I'm guessing so, but I don't think the INSpector was offered that when his crate was modernised :lol: :lol:
Yes, but it got stuck as a police box in the 1960s and the Doctor still doesn't seem to have fixed it, so not surprising she didn't offer it to the inspector... The video is even better with the sound effects... though I thought I heard the cloister bell at the end there, indicating some catastrophic threat to the space-time continuum. Could this be what has caused all the humans to vanish on the Greta and Wenningdale? I hope they haven't been exterminated...
The sign writing is laser printed, onto water resistant durable labels by Avery (iirc). Since the station was placed outside and left there in 2016, I have had to renew it once (early last year) due to sun fade.
I misread that the first time as renew it each year, which seemed reasonable... but once in five years is great. I imagine it wouldn't be nearly as long with an inkjet...but I might experiment.

BertieB
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by BertieB » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:57 pm

VWORP VWORP VWORP*.... Terrific! Well done. This opens up endless new possibilities...

SimonWood wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:57 pm
“...I imagine it wouldn't be nearly as long with an inkjet”
Some of my earlier (certainly older than 5 years) heavily varnished, inkjet-produced decals have quite noticeably faded, generally appearing rather lighter against the backgrounds they were originally supposed to match. Four-colour black seems particularly susceptible, it can start to look ‘washed out’ and grey quite quickly.

*Official Tardis Noise spelling

Lonsdaler
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:13 pm

SimonWood wrote:
I thought I heard the cloister bell at the end there, indicating some catastrophic threat to the space-time continuum. Could this be what has caused all the humans to vanish on the Greta and Wenningdale? I hope they haven't been exterminated...
:lol: I think it's the clank as the crate hits the slate platform. Well, I hope it is!
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer

Lonsdaler
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:15 pm

BertieB wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:57 pm
VWORP VWORP VWORP*.... Terrific! Well done. This opens up endless new possibilities...

SimonWood wrote:
“...I imagine it wouldn't be nearly as long with an inkjet”
Some of my earlier (certainly older than 5 years) heavily varnished, inkjet-produced decals have quite noticeably faded, generally appearing rather lighter against the backgrounds they were originally supposed to match. Four-colour black seems particularly susceptible, it can start to look ‘washed out’ and grey quite quickly.

*Official Tardis Noise spelling
I have produced items with inkjet in the past, but laser is more light stable I think, with the advantage that the black toner is pure black - if such a thing exists!
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer

Lonsdaler
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:31 pm

FWLR wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:00 am
Didn't know you were poorly Phil. Hope you are feeling much better.

Like the start of you inspection mate. Like those lamps on the station building.
Thanks Rod. As I said, it was no big deal compared to many, and indeed, the problems you have experienced.
Playmobil-vet-clinic.jpg
The station is a 'converted' Playmobil veterinary clinic with a rendered surface with stonework inscribed. The lamps came with the original - none working, but do look effective.
I need to resurrect the thread on my railway - there is so much that I haven't detailed there from ages ago, as well as later offerings.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Old Man Aaron » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:15 am

You've really transformed that vet! Good to hear you're doing better; illness, even when others have it worse, is no joke.
Looking forward to hearing the rest of Mr. Spectre's report, in due course.
Anzac Creek Workshops blog - HO, 16mm & 2ft endeavors.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:55 am

Lonsdaler wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:31 pm

The station is a 'converted' Playmobil veterinary clinic with a rendered surface with stonework inscribed. The lamps came with the original - none working, but do look effective.
I need to resurrect the thread on my railway - there is so much that I haven't detailed there from ages ago, as well as later offerings.
Wow, that's quite a transformation! Would also make for rather a nice chapel...

And yes please to the railway thread resurrection - I always like to see other folks' railways...

Lonsdaler
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

The Inspector is greeted at last! GWLR pt2

Post by Lonsdaler » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:13 pm

I have to say, I found it most unusual to not have a reception committee when I arrived at a new railway. I searched within the station environs, to no avail. And then, in the distance I heard what could only be the sound of someone whistling an exotic tune. Suddenly, from the direction of what appears to be a show cave located in the station area, came a porter, wheeling a now unloaded luggage truck. As he saw me, he waved, and then hurried across the tracks to greet me on platform 1.
Image by Lonsdaler, on Flickr

"Oh my word, you must be the gentleman from the Railway Inspectorate. We have been wondering where you could be". I introduced myself, and ascertained that the porter was Mr Patel, a railway employee since the line was founded in 2014. He was most apologetic, and obliging - it appeared that my travel in time had resulted in a delay in my arrival, and a closure due to a pandemic was in force. The rest of the staff were away for a socially distanced training day, but would be back on the morrow. "My cousin runs a very reasonable road transportation company, and would be delighted to take you to the fine accommodation we have pre-arranged for you. Mrs Twice-Knightley at the Mons Repose Guesthouse will be so pleased to see you. I shall call my cousin to collect you, and I shall make sure your, err, crate? is safely placed into our fine Stores.
I nodded to convey my agreement to these arrangements. Swiftly, Mr Patel placed my crate upon his truck and wheeled it to the railway store building

Just as Mr Patel returned to me, a vehicle sounding distinctly like an old Enfield motorcycle arrived - it was none other than a Tuk-Tuk, driven by Mr Patel's cousin.

Mr Patel saw me safely aboard the exotic vehicle, together with my modest travel bag, and giving his cousin strict instructions to have me back to the station building for 0930 tomorrow to meet Mr Mainwaring (Capt., Retired) and his heads of staff, to begin the inspection. And with that we were off, to the charms of Mrs Twice-Knightley's establishment. Things were looking up, and I was relishing my meeting tomorrow.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:59 pm

Well, goodness gracious me, my breath is positively baited!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:28 am

Peter Butler wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:59 pm
Well, goodness gracious me, my breath is positively baited!
Yes indeed. :lol:

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:28 am

The inspector looks uncharacteristically pensive at the prospect of boarding the TukTuk! I look forward to ready more...