Southgate Light Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:59 pm

wow you don't hang around

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:17 pm

Superb!!!! The stonework is just amazing, having to cut and lay all of those individually is quite a task, but to get them so well aligned is in itself a skilled job. I know you said your dad is (was) a builder but not in that scale!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:44 pm

I have to echo Peters comments. The courses in that stonework are exceptional. I'm massively impressed, not a little envious but hugely inspired!
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

robyholmes
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by robyholmes » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:30 pm

Peter Butler:113150 wrote:Superb!!!! The stonework is just amazing, having to cut and lay all of those individually is quite a task, but to get them so well aligned is in itself a skilled job.  I know you said your dad is (was) a builder but not in that scale!
My dad started the retaining wall with about the first two rows, after that it was down to me (With inspections of course). So if it looks a little out at the top blame me ha.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:37 pm

Well done.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

Maple
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Maple » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:06 pm

railway envy :D
'Professional Bodge artist '

robyholmes
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by robyholmes » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:06 pm

Thank you for the comments. So we're on the home straight, time to do those finishing touches.

One big remaining job was to sort out the seating area in the middle of the garden. Its always been a bit of a mess of mostly gavel with some concrete lumps. We wanted to flag most of the area to allow easier seating but first we needed to sort out drainage.

We installed a gulley down most of the drive which the garden connects too. Due to sunken drains this meant replacing those as well, hence the new concrete across the drive. I'll save you the pictures of drainage pipes going in.

Next we had to remove all the gravel from the garden and start to create a slope before laying flags.

Excess rubble was used to raise the level at the rear of the garden. This also meant the wall didn't tower over you any longer when you sat in the garden.

Few days later we had all the flags down (70 flags in total)

You way also spot some work going on at the station. This is the result.
I didn't at first put mesh in the narrow platform section which meant it cracked. This was re-done later before the open day so people didn't see the mistake ha.

More planting, after all it is a garden.

At this point we we're meant to have had an open day on the 28th June 2015, however weather meant we cancelled a couple of days before (And as always the forecast then changed) and we rescheduled for 12th July. Another 2 weeks of last minute polish and the open day to follow.

robyholmes
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by robyholmes » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:24 pm

So as we had an extra two weeks due to the open day weather delay, we decided we could ballast the track.

We used for SBR method mentioned on here. Worked very well. This is a test section we did, no pictures of us doing the rest.

Then the open day, finally! 12 July 2015

Of course, no railway stands still...

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:28 pm

Wonderful stuff! It is all settling down nicely and when the plants have become established it will soften the hard landscaping.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:00 pm

That all looks fantastic - congratulations!

Andrew

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:58 pm

Looks absolutely splendid - I liked seeing a Dylan there! Would I be right in thinking that the railway might be in the London area??
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:13 am

WOW! An impressive amount of progress in such a short space of time. The whole thing looks amazing.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

robyholmes
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by robyholmes » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:01 am

MDLR:113228 wrote:Looks absolutely splendid - I liked seeing a Dylan there! Would I be right in thinking that the railway might be in the London area??
You may not ha. Ripon, North Yorkshire. The Dylan is my fathers, in need of a little work due to old age but just keeps running so incredibly well! (The loco that is not my father..)

robyholmes
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by robyholmes » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:34 pm

I'll update this thread in time with ongoing work, but might as well share a collection of videos with you all that have been on our Facebook page for a while.

SLR Flay Laying
<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TjQIGpN7WDE?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TjQIGpN7WDE?ve ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Building the SLR
<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NNLvlfcNmzY?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NNLvlfcNmzY?ve ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

SLR Evening Running
<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sYHjIUiVCl4?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sYHjIUiVCl4?ve ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

SLR Visits York Model Engineering
<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/d1APXmDHO18?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/d1APXmDHO18?ve ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:43 pm

I lived in Ripon for four years about 25 years ago,when I was a student of what is now York St John University, but then usually went by the abbreviation CRYSJ.  I usually took my pint in either the Alma (aka 'The Water Rat') down by the footbridge over the Ure or the Bull, and would only drink in the student's union when I was short of beer tokens.  I loved Ripon as a place to spend a few years, but with it having no railway station it felt a bit remote, the 142/143/144 buses from York were enough to teach any theology undergrad about eternity, and the 36 from Harrogate was carefully time to leave 27 or 57 minutes after the train got in, depending on whether both services was running hourly or half hourly.  ;)

Peter in AZ
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

robyholmes
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by robyholmes » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:32 pm

So I've been up to a bit more progress in to the winter months. I decided even before the official opening this year that I wanted to extend to create another loop. This was mainly to allow for continuous running by creating a bog bone circuit.

I'm documenting the build progress on my local 16mm group website (Thanks to A Cooper for putting it up).

Take a look. www.yorkshire.16mm.org.uk/SOUTHGATELRExtension.html

robyholmes
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by robyholmes » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:02 am

Merry Christmas from the SLR

Annie
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Annie » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:23 am

Merry Christmas Roby :) What an absolutely wonderful railway you've built.
What has Reality done for you lately?