The Charlton Line

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
ikcdab
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

The Charlton Line

Post by ikcdab » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:07 pm

I have been lurking around for some time and made occasional posts and oblique references to my railway...but now is the time to reveal the story to date...

Background is that we live in a house alongside a canal towpath. Our garden is long and narrow - with the towpath one long side. The towpath is about a couple of metres higher than our garden and the bank is held back by a wooden retaining wall about 0.7m high. The bank had become very scruffy and i realised that with some work i could build a railway along the bank which would put the line 0.7m above ground level. i could have an end to end line about 50m long.
This picture shows the general situation with the green planking wall which would host the line.

We're now about January 2014. Next step was to clear the bank, remove material and replace with about 100mm of recycled railway ballast (V appropriate).
These next two pictures show the digging out and the ballast being laid. I had about 3 ton of ballast delivered - which i moved twice - so 6 tons moved to far. The garden looks scruffy in January!

So far so good. I then laid a strip of concrete along the ballasgt about 30mm deep on which track was fixed with gripfill adhesive. And then i could begin to run trains along the first half of the line. Construction of the diesel and coach are on another thread of mine.

Garden looks more summery now.

Then came disaster. The wooden retaining wall decided that this was really too much and began to collapse into the garden. Our own mini version of Dawlish was starting. I imagine that the wooden posts were already rotting and the weight of 3 tons of ballast well tamped down was the final straw. This picture shows one of the bulges by the water tank.... All work halted pending a solution.

My first idea was to patch things up. Replace the rotten posts and carry on. But i soon realised that as soon as I replaced one section, another would then be next. So only the nuclear option remained. Take up all the track, replace the wall in its entirety and start again. I decided to do things properly and the new wall would we railway sleepers held up with RSJs. 54 sleepers and the RSJs were ordered from Pullham steels at Dorchester (highly recomended) and after a little bit of fussing, this is what i ended up with in my field:

Next - removing the old wall. Most (but not all!) pf the 3 tons of ballast was dug out and stored - about 2 tons. So 8 tons moved so far. Holes were dug and RSJs placed loosely in position. We had a sleeper moving party and got them placed near where they would end up.

To be continued below.

ikcdab
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by ikcdab » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:27 pm

And the result was this. Sleeper wall almost complete with Mrs C in the distance levelling off ground. Sleepers are heavy beasts and we quickly became adept at flinging them around! Note the removed planking stacked up for reuse (probably for raised beds in greenhouse).

Concreting the RSJs in took a ton of my railway ballast (so 9 tons moved so far).
I then had a further 4.5 tons of ballast delivered. This was then wheelbarrowed and used to fill in the void behind the sleepers =- because i forgot to say that the new sleeper wall is slightly further into the garden than the old so i have more railway space. So 13 tons or so of ballast moved so far.

What next - well back to track bed. I stil want to use concrete - but this time I used shuttering to ensure the bed was level - previoulsy i had just tried to level between pegs and it was difficult.
So heres some shuttering about to be fixed. Note the 'feet' on  the shuttering to hold it firm.

i then carefully leveled the shuttering and used bricks on the 'feet' to hold it. Here we are ready for concreting:

And the result:

removing the shuttering then meant that track could be placed and more ballast used either side to come up to track level. Note track is only roughly placed so far!

|And thats it pretty well up to date. Concreting is now complete and tracklaying starts Tuesday. I am working to a deadline as I have a 16mm Association meeting booked here in 3 weeks time, so no time to lose. Here is a gratuitous shot of what will be the passing loop station midway along the line:

Still to do after tracklaying: I need to build some platforms at the main terminus - but more importantly I have to build a 2.5m span girder bridge. Many thanks to Michael at MVL bridges for his advice - I have ordered a stack of aluminium sections which i hope will come this week. So the job for the week after this is bridge building.

The garden railway meeting may happen with paint still wet!

watch this space, Ill post updates as and when - but assume it will be erratic!
Last edited by ikcdab on Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:32 pm

Very impressive. Looking forward to seeing trains run!

ikcdab
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by ikcdab » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:13 pm

Thanks.
My biggest asset and problem rolled into one is the hedge behind the railway. Great asset because it looks great, shades the line and makes it look very natural.
Biggest problem is that it grows very very fast - im forever cutting back new shoots and of course leaf fall is a problem. And we had the hedge cut by a contractor earlier this year and the entire railway disappeared under a thick blanket of finely cut twigs! Im still collecting them now. I wonder if some sort of tarpaulin covers might be useful - but they will of course just blow away!

Joe
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Joe » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:14 pm

yeah very impressive-could you give me some more info on how you put the concrete down please?
Steam is highly under rated

ikcdab
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by ikcdab » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:41 pm

Well, the pictures above show the process, so:
i cut shuttering 30mm high and 8 feet long from a sheet of ply. I screwed on the feet (or anchor points) that you can see in the picture.
The underlying ballast layer was compacted and levelled as much as possible - mainly by thumping with a heavy brick!
Shuttering then put in position, levelled and held in the right place by bricks on the feet. Shuttering is about 125mm apart for single line.
The concrete used 3mm to dust chipping from the local quarry - i believe they call this 'granodust' and the quarry charges about £1.20 per 25kg bag from their gate. My 50m of track used about 20 bags in total.

The chipping was mixed 5 to 1 with cement. I mixed up two bags of chipping to a bucket of cement. Mixed very well and then water added in the usual way.
The concrete was then flopped into the shuttering and roughly compacted and levelled off with a trowel. Then i used a builders float - running it along the top of the shuttering to get it level and then a final polish with the float. With the right amount of water, i managed to get a really smooth finish.
Then just a case of waiting and keeping the dogs off while it goes off. I found I could remove the shuttering after two or three hours and move on...

Will it last? will a bed of concrete about 30mm thick survive winter frosts? Its on a very well drained base and in a sheltered location. What I laid last year did, but then we didnt have any real frost last winter!

Hope this helps.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:53 pm

Very impressive - and very substantial, but then when you are holding back a canal you have to be I guess!

You've half the materials there to start construction of a full sized railway! Interesting that (in your part of the world) the sleepers have carried standard three screw S1 chairs, rather than the native through bolted type.

It looks like it will be a cracking railway, good runs on the level and room for some really interesting stations operationally. Keep the pics coming!
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

Joe
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Joe » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:54 pm

thanks thats very helpful :D
Steam is highly under rated

ikcdab
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by ikcdab » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:55 pm

I believe the sleepers are from London Overground. One of them carries a plate suggesting it came from the line between East Acton and White City. Some of the sleepers have bolt holes for third and fourth rail....

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:11 pm

That's looking excellent - and such a lot of work! Over the years I've had several sections of line where I've had to "bite the bullet" and do a fairly major rebuild, but nothing on this scale, very impressive.

I really like the shot of the simple station area with the bench and hut - I'm sure it's a work in progress, but it already has lovely "light railway" atmosphere.

Looking forward to pictures of the trains running...

Cheers,

Andrew.

ikcdab
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by ikcdab » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:33 pm

So, a lack of posting doesn't indicate a lack of work....
All track has now been fixed down with gripfill adhesive. This was a bit fraught as the concrete trackbed was not completely level (as in a sheet of glass is level) and so in some places the track needed repacking. But thanks to a very patient friend of mine, all is now down. Pics to follow tomorrow.

However, yesterday and today has seen bridge building going on (in the physical sense rather than the metaphorical....).

Last week I had a large pile of aluminium section delivered, and now its been chopped up and riveted together.

The bridge is 2.5m long (and the gap to be bridged is 2.510m wide - but that problem is for later in the week).

Uprights and diagonal struts were cut from 1/2 x 1/2 box section. these were then pop riveted to 1" x 1" Tee section top and bottom:

And the same with the diagonal bracing in place:

And here it is posed with a coach while decide how far apart the main girders will be. Answer was 20cm. I hope thats reasonable!

A lot of this is being made up as I go along. Currently thinking that i need lower cross girders at about 125mm intervals and much less for the cross bracing at the top. So another hour or so chopping up aluminium strip, then I get this:

So tomorrow, all the cross girders will get riveted in place. Not sure quite yet how to do this as i somehow need to hold the cross girder up against the T section while i drill through both at the same time....I'm rather hoping that an idea will just come to me over night.
also for tomorrow, aiming to rivet down the 3/4" wide strip that will carry the track. But more of that anon.....

Grateful for any comments of advice!

DickH
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by DickH » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:24 pm

Very impressive - again as said previously look forward to seeing some trains run.
Retirement has its benefits if only I can afford the railway!

ikcdab
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by ikcdab » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:29 pm

Well we had a running session last week over the 'front' end of the line - as my stock is limited a friend of mine brought several 'O' gauge tinplate clockwork engines and stock which all ran very well!

RichMQR
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by RichMQR » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:34 pm

What an excellent location! I really like your engineering. Shame the first version collapsed but I think it is all for the better as your new version looks first class. The bridge looks really good. Again some proper engineering. I like it when things aren't so much a model as a small version of the real thing. Great work so far.

ikcdab
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by ikcdab » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:35 pm

Its been a busy few days and Mrs C says she'll be glad once its all over...
So the bridge is now completed and is in:

Rails are held in tenmille chairs that I have had in stock for 30 years waiting for just this moment. They fitted some old rail I had well, but then it was a real pain connecting this rail to peco SM32 - but in the end went well. The sharp eyed might note that I ran out of red spray paint for the bridge - and so did my local toolstation, so that will need to wait. Great fun last evening when the first train tentatively made its way out onto the bridge.

The meant that trains services could be resumed to Cathill Junction, now equipped with a seat......

"During the day, several trains made their way from the terminus to the new junction...."

Today a friend brought over several hornby clockwork locos and coaches and these ran well over the line, marking a sharp contrast with the 16mm stock:

And a great deal of fun was had by all!
Tomorrow the task is to build a platform at the main terminus and if there is time after that then its back to ballasting....

stand by!

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:47 am

That looks like a nice job you have done there and it is nice to see vintage tinplate being used as well
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

ikcdab
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Opening Day at last

Post by ikcdab » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:24 am

So after three months effort, beginning with tearing up the old line, the rebuilt line has its grand opening today for 16mm Assoc members. The day has dawned sunny and an early morning test train has been run to make sure all OK.

Waiting to leave Charlton Road

At Foxhole Station

Crossing the bridge

Approaching Cathill Junction

At the end of the line

Run round and ready to go back

Lets hope the stock stays clean today

And back at Charlton Road.

Just now got to get out the chairs, make sure we have enough tea bags, put out some signs....and we're ready!

ikcdab
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by ikcdab » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:07 pm

Im always ready to accommodate visitors so if you're in Somerset, drop me a message!

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:51 pm

It's looking great. Just been catching up with the thread and the build from the start. Very wise to over-engineer the landscaping - hopefully should now last you a good many years.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:54 pm

Rik sums things up very well. It's a great looking railway and all done so quickly. My head is hung in shame at being so slow myself! :oops:
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"