Daisy, Daisy...

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
Andrew

Re: Daisy, Daisy...

Post by Andrew » Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:08 pm

SimonWood wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:36 am Tidy. Lining the flywheel is a very nice touch.
Thank you! The flywheel was actually the easiest bit, because that little lip gave me a smooth continuous line to follow... I prefer the spoked flywheels on the "Vincent" locos, but am quite glad I don't have one or I might have felt obliged to line each spoke, cart wheel style...

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:25 pm

The green and black livery looks really good Andrew. I was uncertain about the green to begin with but the black brings it to life. Will be watching the lining progress....!
Philip

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:45 pm

philipy wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:25 pm I was uncertain about the green to begin with but the black brings it to life.
Thanks! I realised this morning that it's similar to Southern malachite green - perhaps I should have lined in yellow and added "sunshine" lettering?!

I've just spent an hour or so making a template for the ends of the panels, complete with curvy bevelled corners - the idea is that those are all the same height, so I can do the ends first then add straight lines between them. Over the next few days I'll try to do a test run to see if it actually works!

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:01 pm

I'll second that notion on the black, what a job!
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:52 am

SKGLB wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:52 pm
Andrew wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:07 pm Perhaps one day I'll neaten up the pipework like you have, it looks really good.
Hi Andrew,
Back in 2012, as time flies, I bought the pipe fittings from pm-research in America, only back then you got a cast tree with all the fittings, crosses, corners, etc.

2010081028_fittings1.jpg

That you had to cut out and process yourself from the cast tree, with one It wasn't a problem when you use a milling machine and drilling machine.
And they weren't particularly expensive either.
When I go to the PM shop today, these fittings are only available ready-made and not for little money. :scratch:

https://pmmodelengines.com/pipe-fittings/

The second source of supply, in my link Konrad goes to America, dorrington no longer exists, closed December 31, 2020, this also shows how time flies.

http://www.dorrington.de/

Greetings, Gerald ;)
I think with a bit of work these would be easy enough to 3D print in resin, I have done many similar items in past builds even with holes already in them for pipe work to join. An example of a couple are below, all the pipe work is resin prints other than the straight (ish) bits which are copper.
fittings.png
fittings.png (174.07 KiB) Viewed 3354 times
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:51 pm

If you offer the pipework for sale Steve, I will certainly be first in line!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:14 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:51 pm If you offer the pipework for sale Steve, I will certainly be first in line!
It's lovely, isn't it - nice work Steve!

Alas, unlikely to survive contact with Daisy's boiler!

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:24 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:51 pm If you offer the pipework for sale Steve, I will certainly be first in line!
PM Sent

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:28 pm

Andrew wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:14 pm
It's lovely, isn't it - nice work Steve!

Alas, unlikely to survive contact with Daisy's boiler!
I have never tried resin prints with heat, I guess it depends on how hot the boiler actually gets as resin to the best of my knowledge, once cured is pretty resistant to heat, from memory around 250 degrees, and then they burn more than melt.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:25 pm

-steves- wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:28 pm I have never tried resin prints with heat, I guess it depends on how hot the boiler actually gets as resin to the best of my knowledge, once cured is pretty resistant to heat, from memory around 250 degrees, and then they burn more than melt.
Ah, I never was much good at physics! I assumed the properties of resin were similar to your average plastic, but clearly not!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:00 pm

Hi all,

A little more progress on this project (if not the loco itself) in that I've been having some trial goes at lining on some off-cuts sprayed with the same paint - in the rain, as is evident from the white spots!

Green 4.jpg
Green 4.jpg (961.9 KiB) Viewed 3204 times

Not perfect, but I got better each time, so I think - as longs as I'm honest with myself about when I need to wipe off sub-standard attempts and re-do them - I'm ready to move on to the loco and tender...

I've got a busy couple of weeks coming up (including, appropriately, a traditional sign-writing course next week...) so it may be a fortnight or so before I can share any progress...

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:46 pm

Andrew wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:00 pm Hi all,

A little more progress on this project (if not the loco itself) in that I've been having some trial goes at lining on some off-cuts sprayed with the same paint - in the rain, as is evident from the white spots!

Green 4.jpg

Not perfect, but I got better each time, so I think - as longs as I'm honest with myself about when I need to wipe off sub-standard attempts and re-do them - I'm ready to move on to the loco and tender...

I've got a busy couple of weeks coming up (including, appropriately, a traditional sign-writing course next week...) so it may be a fortnight or so before I can share any progress...
Andrew

I don't know if it's possible but would you be able to do a short video of how you do lining? I have tried many times, with lining pens, enamel paints, acrylic paints, etc etc, but never had any luck, not even with a single line. I would really appreciate a little bit of knowledge from someone who can clearly do this, especially multiple lines and moreso, around corners.

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:27 pm

That really does look good Andrew. I'll echo Steve's request for a "How I..."
Philip

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:24 pm

I think you might be over-estimating my expertise here chaps, but I'll gladly give it a try - as I say, it might take a few weeks...

In the meantime, I got started using Ian Stock's article on the old Garden Railway Realism wiki:[http://gardenrailwayrealism.pbworks.com ... ng%20stock]

That's pretty much how I do it, although somewhere along the line I picked up an alternative for doing black edging which I used on Russell, involving adding a black line, then painting up against it. I sprayed the Regner's edging.

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:02 am

Moving pictures don't do it for me, but if that's your thing, using 'lining model locomotives' as a search term on Youtube turns up some relevant hits.....

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... ocomotives

They should keep you occupied while Andrew has a crack at becoming a documentary maker.

Personally I prefer books and my current lining practices mostly come from 'Painting and Lining in the Smaller Scales' by Steve Barnfield. The book was published thirty years ago and is long out of print, but still largely relevant. They must have sold a lot of copies, there's always a few listed on the AbeBooks website.

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Search ... d%20lining

Like Andrew said, practicing on flat panels is a good way to start and also to warm up before a lining session.

Graeme

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:18 pm

Hello again!

The Regner project made a decent step forward over the Christmas Holidays with the completion (well, nearly) of the lining:

Lined Daisy 1.jpg
Lined Daisy 1.jpg (84.05 KiB) Viewed 2168 times
Lined Daisy 2.jpg
Lined Daisy 2.jpg (66.33 KiB) Viewed 2168 times
Lined Daisy 3.jpg
Lined Daisy 3.jpg (69.03 KiB) Viewed 2168 times

It doesn't bear close inspection, but (to my eye anyway!) it looks very acceptable from a usual viewing distance - and it didn't cost hundreds of pounds!

The inner lining (indeed the whole livery) was inspired by "Earl of Merioneth", but with the more ornate corners that feature on the England locos, as a practice run for lining "Palmerston". All of the panels are the same height, so I made a stencil for each end of the black line, used that at each end, then connected the two with horizontal lines. That went OK, but the template wasn't quite as accurate as I'd have liked, so some of those horizontal lines aren't, if you see what I mean - I'll make full templates for each panel on Palmerston.

The cream lines were added after, with the corners done freehand - a LOT of wiping off was involved, but I got the hang of it eventually!

The next task is to finish the tender, paint the underframe and add detail, but there's no hurry because I can't finish it until it's warm and dry enough to spray paint outside again - I hope to have it ready to pull the first passenger train of the season though...

Cheers,

Andrew.

PS I haven't forgotten I said I do a lining video - I'll give it a go over the coming weeks...

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:19 am

You're very brave tackling those fancy corners. To my eye it looks really good.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube