Daisy, Daisy...

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
Andrew

Daisy, Daisy...

Post by Andrew » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:18 pm

Hello!

As I mentioned elsewhere, I'm tinkering around with "Daisy", my Regner Konrad. And as I mentioned somewhere else again, despite admitting to enjoying the odd spot of rivet counting, I still enjoy simply messing about with toy trains - and here's proof! Clearly nothing like a Konrad ever bothered Welsh Highland metals, but "Daisy" is far too useful to dispose of, and besides, she's named after one of my children, so I wouldn't dare... Instead I'm enjoying a bit of whimsical fun with her...

I'd already added the lamp removed from the smokebox of my Accucraft Baldwin, and that Wild West-esque alteration inspired me to buy a Swift Sixteen cowcatcher, which needed shortening but was then relatively easy to fit to the wooden bufferbeam using the Regner bolts that had held the pilot step in place. Here it is with the cowcatcher trial-fitted, along with some vacuum pipes that came with my second-hand Russell:

Those are attached properly now and the whole lot awaits painting. "Daisy" seems to be developing quite a Colonial look I reckon, like a loco from a sugar plantation perhaps? The next stage will be to build a tender, and then a repaint for the bodywork - I'm currently thinking an LBSCR-style umber, for no better reason than that it'll look nice...

I'll post more photos as the project progresses...

Cheers,

Andrew

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:53 pm

Missed this post originally.
That lamp does seem to work when fitted to the loco and LBSC livery always looks good. Some colonial engines ended up in an amazing array of weird and wonderful liveries.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:18 pm

Glad you like so far! I gave the front end and frames a coat of satin black about an hour ago and am watching anxiously as it dries - it all looks a little too shiny at the moment, I'm hoping it'll dull down a bit more. Shouldn't be too much of a problem, I can always weather it to tone it down... I'm awaiting some parts for the tender, might start that over the weekend...

Cheers,

Andrew.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:03 am

Are you using Hy-cote spray paint? I only ask as the last few tins of black I acquired seem to be a bit off. The satin is almost gloss and the matt is decidedly satin!
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:56 pm

It's a Humbrol tinlet. It looked absolutely awful this morning, shiny and uneven, but I've just applied a second coat, heavily-thinned, and it's looking better as it dries, much more of a sheen than a shine... Fingers crossed...

Off out into the garden now, have just reconnected the line after winter engineer and I want to run a before it rains...

Cheers,

Andrew.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:42 am

Morning all,

Over the last few days I've completed the first stage of cosmetic modifications to "Daisy", my Regner Konrad by painting the front end and frames black and the cranks and rods red, and then weathering the whole lot. It's now reassembled and awaiting a test run - the weather's glorious today, but unfortunately I'm stuck at work. Tomorrow, maybe?

Anyway, here she is in the early morning sunshine:

And the other side, not great shot because of the light, but it shows the re-painted rods, and the sand bucket and re-railing jack pinched from my RH Bertie:

And a close-up:

That's all for now - "Daisy"'s ready to run again while I build her a tender, and whether or not that's a priority will depend on the weather and if the mood takes me. When that's done and I paint it I'll give the cab and flywheel a matching repaint and lining job at the same time. In the meantime it seems to me to be crying out for a grotty goods train to pull...

If anyone has any ideas what the boiler bands are made from I'd be interested to hear them? I think I'll line them when I do the rest, if I can get the paint to stick...

Cheers,

Andrew.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:01 pm

That looks spot on Andrew. Nicely weathered and looking like its had a hard life. As you said a train of grotty wagons are just what it needs to set it off.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:53 pm

Hmmmmm... I took Daisy out into the garden this morning and raised steam, only to find her more reluctant to start than usual - and when she did move the gears were a lot noisier than they normally are. Only a whirring rather than a crunching, but still not quite right... I turned off the gas and brought her back inside, guess I'll have to try and work out what I've messed up...

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:39 pm

Daisy and I had another test run today, only a little more successful than the first - those gears still don't sound right, please see the Help Me thread if you've got any bright ideas!

She looked nice though... Here she is entering Clarach:

And again - a couple of feet from where she was in the photo above, but at the other end of the line - leaving Trefechan Tunnel...

I'd better try to get the mechanical problems sorted before continuing with the cosmetic stuff...

Cheers,

Andrew.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:55 pm

That does look rather good. I hope you get the gear problems sorted.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

Andrew

Re: Daisy, Daisy...

Post by Andrew » Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:28 am

Well this thread took some finding!

My on/off project of cosmetic changes to the Regner has mostly been in "off" mode for several years, but I did build a tender body and chassis, which is now complete apart from detailing.

I'm on leave this week, and the sun came out yesterday, so I took the whole lot into the garden for a little spray painting - I'm aiming for a Ffestiniog green look:

IMG_20231026_125226.jpg
IMG_20231026_125226.jpg (4.21 MiB) Viewed 3977 times

I'll try to get some black edging added today, then I can think about lining...

Cheers,

Andrew.

SKGLB
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by SKGLB » Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:56 am

Nice paint job, will follow the post.

And it's a good thing that the pictures no longer run via photobucket. The watermark doesn't allow for proper viewing. If you open the link in a new tab you can get the watermark out, but the view is a lot smaller. Or am I doing something wrong.

I gave my Konrad an American look. :study:

https://www.schienendampf.com/forum/thr ... #post14978

Greetings from Austria, Gerald ;)

drewzero1
Administrator
Administrator

Post by drewzero1 » Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:10 am

Looking good! I love it when an on again, off again project comes back into on again after a while.

Good tip about the new tab, Gerald! I would not have thought to try that.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:07 pm

SKGLB wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:56 am Nice paint job, will follow the post.

And it's a good thing that the pictures no longer run via photobucket. The watermark doesn't allow for proper viewing. If you open the link in a new tab you can get the watermark out, but the view is a lot smaller. Or am I doing something wrong.

I gave my Konrad an American look. :study:

https://www.schienendampf.com/forum/thr ... #post14978

Greetings from Austria, Gerald ;)
Thanks Gerald - and for the Photobucket tip too, I didn't know there was a way around that problem!

I love your Konrad, it looks great. I especially like the smokebox door details. Perhaps one day I'll neaten up the pipework like you have, it looks really good.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:30 pm

drewzero1 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:10 am Looking good! I love it when an on again, off again project comes back into on again after a while.
Thank you! I've managed to maintain momentum today, masking up loco and tender and taking them outside into the last of the year's warm sunshine (?) to spray the black edging.

There were a few blemishes as a result of inaccurate masking, but on the whole I'm pretty pleased with it. Photos to follow at some point - my phone seems to be playing up right now.

Next week, when I'm back at work, I'll pop to the model shop for a tin of red gloss enamel so that I can start lining it out...

Cheers,

Andrew.

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:18 pm

Love it when an old thread gets resurrected. Don't see many Konrads with tenders, looking forward to the finished product, Andrew. :D

Gerald, your kitbash is something else! :salute:
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

SKGLB
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by SKGLB » Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:52 pm

Andrew wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:07 pm Perhaps one day I'll neaten up the pipework like you have, it looks really good.
Hi Andrew,
Back in 2012, as time flies, I bought the pipe fittings from pm-research in America, only back then you got a cast tree with all the fittings, crosses, corners, etc.
2010081028_fittings1.jpg
2010081028_fittings1.jpg (176.95 KiB) Viewed 3920 times
That you had to cut out and process yourself from the cast tree, with one It wasn't a problem when you use a milling machine and drilling machine.
And they weren't particularly expensive either.
When I go to the PM shop today, these fittings are only available ready-made and not for little money. :scratch:

https://pmmodelengines.com/pipe-fittings/

The second source of supply, in my link Konrad goes to America, dorrington no longer exists, closed December 31, 2020, this also shows how time flies.

http://www.dorrington.de/

Greetings, Gerald ;)

SKGLB
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by SKGLB » Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:08 pm

SKGLB wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:52 pm When I go to the PM shop today, these fittings are only available ready-made and not for little money.
Oops, they still exist.
Sorry, you should just continue browsing in the shop.:study:

https://pmmodelengines.com/casting-trees/

Gerald :oops:

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:30 am

Hello again,

So, as promised, here's a picture of Daisy and tender once sprayed green and edged in black:

Green 1.jpg
Green 1.jpg (423.84 KiB) Viewed 3704 times

Bright, isn't it?! With some trepidation, I dusted off the long-unused lining pen, cracked open a new tin of Humbrol red, and set to work... In my first session I had some trouble getting the consistency of the paint right, so some lines are a little uneven, but I'm happy with the result, and i seem to be improving with practice.

Green 2.jpg
Green 2.jpg (424.01 KiB) Viewed 3704 times

And a slightly closer view...

Green 3.jpg
Green 3.jpg (390.38 KiB) Viewed 3704 times

Next up, but possibly not just yet (there's no hurry), is to create a template and add some twiddly-cornered panelling to the cab and tender sides - overkill for such a ramshackle loco, but really it's just practice for tackling Palmerston later in the winter...

Cheers,

Andrew.

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:36 am

Tidy. Lining the flywheel is a very nice touch.
Rheilffordd Moel Rhos: blog - photos - videos