Page 1 of 1

16mm line at a preserved railway

Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:30 am
by listerboy
I've been asked by my local railway preservation society on my thoughts of a 16mm line being established on the premises.
Am I right in thinking that the Severn Valley has something similar? I know the Tallylyn has. Could any members who have experience of this please contact me with any thoughts?
Thank you.

Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:15 am
by IrishPeter
In Ulster both 32mm and 45mm would be a good idea given that the local common carrier NG was all 3' gauge.

Peter in AZ

Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:58 am
by steamie1
Buckfastleigh has one too. 45mm and 32mm is essential to bring in numbers. Maybe a large shed to shelter in and brew up tea. A small running fee to recover costs over a long period. It's at elbow level too.

Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:35 pm
by Gralyn
The Midland Railway at Butterly have one. I spent a very pleasant afternoon there as a visitor. I bet Brian D. will chip in with lots more detail of this venue.

Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:35 pm
by MDLR
Gralyn:105316 wrote:The Midland Railway at Butterly have one. I spent a very pleasant afternoon there as a visitor. I bet Brian D. will chip in with lots more detail of this venue.
I'll just say http://bgra.16mm.org.uk/ ............. It's been down for 20 years or so..............

Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:52 pm
by Chris Cairns
One of our members set up an indoor 45mm layout at the Scottish Industrial Railway Centre, Dunaskin, although technically it is G scale. It has proved to be so popular at times that it is difficult sometimes to persuade the visitors to walk down to the platform for the full size live steam brake van rides.

This year he added a Bachmann 'Drive Thomas' on a separate layout which has proven popular with kids of all ages for a small donation. However it is somewhat tiring on the poor volunteers who have to keep the 'kids' under control, and at times has had to remain switched off when there is no volunteer to monitor it.

I agree with having both gauges available if possible.

Chris Cairns