Page 1 of 1
lighting systems
Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:07 am
by Big Jim
I am building another little loco for my son and heir. I want to fit LED lights to it and was wondering if there is a module available that would allow the lights to stay on in the direction of travel when the motor was stopped. I know I can just wire the lights to a separate switch but I fancy going down the more complex route.
Any ideas gentlemen?
Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:01 pm
by Gralyn
you could try a large value capacitor across the LED. Something similar to the stay alive feature on DCC modules or coach lighting kits. It is not permanent as the capacitor will eventually discharge. I think that the coach lighting kit ca keep the lights on for up to a minute.
Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:37 pm
by MDLR
If this is a simple loco (ie with only an "on/off" switch) why not wire the lights across the main switch? I fit battery boxes with switches on to my locos, and the headlight thus becomes a "you've left the loco switched on, Brian" light.
Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:06 am
by Big Jim
Possibly the best solution Brian, simple is probably the way to go. I just have the occasional urge to make life difficult for myself.
Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:09 pm
by MDLR
Having re-read what I first wrote, you need to have a double-pole centre-off switch. The feed from the battery (and to the headlight) go on the middle pair of terminals, the motor leads go off one end, and the four outer terminals are linked with jumpers in the form of an "X" - this gives the forward / reverse.