Exhaust regulator

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
Post Reply
LnBmad

Exhaust regulator

Post by LnBmad » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:40 pm

Has anyone got any experience with these?

MDLR

Post by MDLR » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:52 pm

I'm currently suffering from memory block, but there was a builder 30 or so years ago who fitted all his locos with one, operated by a wheel in the middle of the smokebox door. The claimed advantages were that it wouldn't run away downhill and had good power uphill.

LnBmad

Post by LnBmad » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:00 pm

I know tony sant used to use them. Considering having a play with making one to see the effects

DLRdan

Post by DLRdan » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:09 pm

I think you are thinking of John Turner, Brian. This topic was brought up recently else where on this forum where I wrote a lengthy description of how they work. I have one of Mr Sant's Pecketts which is fitted with an exhaust regulator which works very well but does remove all trace of and exhaust beat.

LnBmad

Post by LnBmad » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:14 pm

As I'm not one for being particularly bothered about how my 1/19 scale loco sounds (a 1/19 scale chuff isn't particularly loud) but am rather more bothered about the speed it runs and how it performs on gradients I found myself thinking about an exhaust regulator this afternoon. It's just an idea that I might play around with on my ragleth but I haven't decided yet

MDLR

Post by MDLR » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:41 pm

DLRdan:104270 wrote:I think you are thinking of John Turner, Brian.
That's right Dan - thanks! I nearly bought one of his locos as my first, but the budget was tight so I ended up with a Dylan kit................

User avatar
Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver
Posts: 2372
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:25 pm
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Post by Chris Cairns » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:52 pm

They were also another method used to tame high speed Mamod's - http://www.hglw.co.uk/Mamod%20Exhaust%20Control.pdf & http://www.hglw.co.uk/Mamod%20Exhaust%2 ... Photos.pdf

Chris Cairns

LnBmad

Post by LnBmad » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:56 pm

I have now made an exhaust regulator for my ragleth. Its yet to be tested on a line with big gradients but worked great in trials on my line.

LnBmad

Post by LnBmad » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:53 am

Image

GardenSteamer

Post by GardenSteamer » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:26 pm

I have found exhaust regulators are very effective at taming Mamods or any other oscillating cylinder locos. The design I make fits horizontally in the smokebox and uses the "smokebox dart" to adjust the amount of throttling. I have it wide open to clear the condensate at the begining of a run and then shut it right down so the loco just potters arround the track.

If you want some drawings let me know and I'll send you a pdf file

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests