Thomas' Loco

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
Big Jim

Thomas' Loco

Post by Big Jim » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:09 pm

At the Peterborough show this year the current wife and I decided that my young son needed to have 'train like Daddy's'. So he as something to play with when he comes up the shed with me. We looked at a couple of kits but ended up with a Model Town Dewinton.
The choice was helped by the fact that the last few kits were being sold off at 1/2 price.

The kit went together very well using epoxy (JB weld) and a quick spray job later it was ready.

I have to say the kit is basic but this is ideal for small hands and I have been known to borrow it on occasion. It has withstood rough play, dropping and being carried around by the chimney. It should be run on some old triang plastic track but it spends more time on the lounge floor.

ImageDSC_0094 by bigjimiflash, on Flickr[/img]

See my other postings for it in use on a 'proper' line.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:35 pm

Good to see the next generation already getting up to speed :shock: :D :lol:

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:50 pm

Got to be done. The lad has already 'done' The Talyllyn, The Teify Valley, The Brecon Mountain, The Fairbourne, The Swanage, The Gwilli, Beer Pecorama, Leighton Buzzard, The Rhiw Valley.

You need to start them early and it has nothing to do with the Daddy wanting to visit steam lines! :lol:

jay1976
Fireman
Fireman

Post by jay1976 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:55 pm

my boy who is 4 years old has his own train loco and a few old big big hoppers he also is allowed my old radio control unit and a hglw wood loco to play with on my track,he can control the rc unit ok on his own now without crashing into buffers to much..local steam up gardens have seen he is ok but just in case i dont stray to far so i can flick the controller off and train comes to a stop plus no one gets to close to him(I normally only let him control at steam days when there is only 1 other loco on the track

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:29 pm

I am thinking of a basic rc system myself possibly robbed from a very basic car set up, one button forwards and one reverse sort of thing. Time to go hunting at charity shops I think

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:49 pm

Big Jim:103982 wrote:Got to be done. The lad has already 'done' The Talyllyn, The Teify Valley, The Brecon Mountain, The Fairbourne, The Swanage, The Gwilli, Beer Pecorama, Leighton Buzzard, The Rhiw Valley.

You need to start them early and it has nothing to do with the Daddy wanting to visit steam lines! :lol:
Blimey. That´s more than I´ve done, but I do have the excuse of living in Yurp for the last, errr, 30 years. :shock:

jay1976
Fireman
Fireman

Post by jay1976 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:21 pm

Big Jim:104018 wrote:I am thinking of a basic rc system myself possibly robbed from a very basic car set up, one button forwards and one reverse sort of thing. Time to go hunting at charity shops I think
the rc batterys can fit in the boiler with a bit of trimming of a battery box..depending on receivior can fit underneath..he will love it rc control as he can sit beside dad or more likely like mine he walks beside the train while it trundles round the railway

daveyrd11
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by daveyrd11 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:54 pm

I bought a cheap RC car to rip to bits for the radio gear, it worked a treat. It even saw use at an exhibition. The only problem is the lack of speed control.

It's a nice cheap fun way to get something running
Put that light out!

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:16 pm

The lack of speed control is no problem at all. Nice and slow in both directions will do for now!