This wasn't bothering me too much until I saw the Sri lankan J1 and J2 class 4-6-4T loco's which appeal to me but I suspect that there's no way they would cope with mamod curves
Calculating minimum curve radius
- pskipper
- Trainee Fireman

- Posts: 141
- Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:38 pm
- Location: Lincolnshire
Calculating minimum curve radius
So the railway is still being planned, hopefully I'll get started august/september time. At the moment most of the track I have is mamod but I would like some larger loco's in the future so was wondering whether anyone has a way of calculating the minimum curve radius for a loco?
This wasn't bothering me too much until I saw the Sri lankan J1 and J2 class 4-6-4T loco's which appeal to me but I suspect that there's no way they would cope with mamod curves
This wasn't bothering me too much until I saw the Sri lankan J1 and J2 class 4-6-4T loco's which appeal to me but I suspect that there's no way they would cope with mamod curves
-
steamie1
I wish!
Back to back gauge, wheel diameter, axle spacing, and taper on wheel all effect the minimum radius that rolling stock and locos can take. Its weight too effects what is achieved and any errors in track level (laterally) matter as well.
Back to back gauge, wheel diameter, axle spacing, and taper on wheel all effect the minimum radius that rolling stock and locos can take. Its weight too effects what is achieved and any errors in track level (laterally) matter as well.
Last edited by steamie1 on Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
MDLR
-
steamie1
Guess What Tag and I found out?
I had 2ft 6 Peco curves at the time, and Accucraft says that their Countess loco will do 2ft 6 minimum. That measurement is taken at 45mm. That's because it is dual gauge and leaves the factory at 45mm. When we tried my 32mm track it was a no go to both our amazements at the time.
So be aware, if the stock is stated a 'Minimum Radius' and its dual gauge, it could well be tested at 45mm. When we run it at 32mm track width, it may well NOT be what the manufacture states.
Indecently most retail and distributers are not fully aware of this and say "Yes it should be fine on Sm32 track at the minimum radius bla bla bla.." I think this is a hopeful guess and not a real world test, which stands to reason given the time and resources that the retail folk have to test everything they sell. We have to be real about how hard it is for the retailer too, or kit manufacture come to think of it.
Therefore we must build a large as possible layout, with as level as possible track and buy kits/stock with caution and thought. Then we fiddle and experiment in desperation when we get it wrong and its not quite right!
I think it also gives fuel to have a 16mm group steam up and see what actually does go round.
I had 2ft 6 Peco curves at the time, and Accucraft says that their Countess loco will do 2ft 6 minimum. That measurement is taken at 45mm. That's because it is dual gauge and leaves the factory at 45mm. When we tried my 32mm track it was a no go to both our amazements at the time.
So be aware, if the stock is stated a 'Minimum Radius' and its dual gauge, it could well be tested at 45mm. When we run it at 32mm track width, it may well NOT be what the manufacture states.
Indecently most retail and distributers are not fully aware of this and say "Yes it should be fine on Sm32 track at the minimum radius bla bla bla.." I think this is a hopeful guess and not a real world test, which stands to reason given the time and resources that the retail folk have to test everything they sell. We have to be real about how hard it is for the retailer too, or kit manufacture come to think of it.
Therefore we must build a large as possible layout, with as level as possible track and buy kits/stock with caution and thought. Then we fiddle and experiment in desperation when we get it wrong and its not quite right!
I think it also gives fuel to have a 16mm group steam up and see what actually does go round.
- Soar Valley Light
- Driver

- Posts: 1490
- Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:18 pm
- Location: North West Leicestershire
Hi psSkipper
Brian's advice is as 'sound as a pound'.
In reality rolling stock designers in any scale or gauge all the way up to 12" to the foot will specify minimum radius (along with many other things). These are ruling values, as such they should be exceptional and not the working dimension. The bigger the better will result in more reliable operation (again in any scale or gauge up to full sized!)
This also applies to things like structural clearances by the way.
Andrew
Brian's advice is as 'sound as a pound'.
In reality rolling stock designers in any scale or gauge all the way up to 12" to the foot will specify minimum radius (along with many other things). These are ruling values, as such they should be exceptional and not the working dimension. The bigger the better will result in more reliable operation (again in any scale or gauge up to full sized!)
This also applies to things like structural clearances by the way.
Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests