Page 1 of 4

Constructing a Loco

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:48 pm
by ACLR
I have started building the loco that is featured in this book
Image
I will post pics of the construction here :D

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:57 pm
by alan2525
Great! Looking forward to seeing it progress - give me a shout if you need any sheet work cut for it!

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:15 pm
by ACLR
Thanks Alan :D

so far I have done the axels
Image

The Frame spacers are cut but not drilled and taped yet
Image

and have made the mandrel for turning the wheels
Image

Im still learning to use a lathe but a I'm progressing slowly :D

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:25 pm
by Chris
Hope it all goes well. Looking forward to seeing the progress.

:D

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:01 pm
by steamyjim
Brilliant work :D :shock:

Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:42 am
by ACLR
Did some more today started on the gas fired boiler :D

Image

Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:17 am
by made-in-england
Wow looking good!!! You will have it done in no-time!

When will you be taking a contract to make me little de-winton :lol:

Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:50 pm
by steamyjim
Damned impressive :D

Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:34 pm
by andysleigh
Thats look great Graham.
This may sound silly, but how did you cut the circles for the boiler?

All this stuff about building locos has got me into the designing stage.

Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:53 pm
by LMS-Jools
and what are the circles for ? :?:

Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:56 pm
by andysleigh
LMS-Jools wrote:and what are the circles for ?  :?:
boiler ends

Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:33 pm
by ACLR
andysleigh wrote:Thats look great Graham.
This may sound silly, but how did you cut the circles for the boiler?

All this stuff about building locos has got me into the designing stage.
Andy I used a peice of the 50mm tubing cut to 50mm length the I split the tube with a hacksaw so i could flaten it out to a sheet of copper. using a small offcut of tube as the size patern I marked the circle on the copper sheet with a marking pen. I used metalsnips to cutoff the bulk of the waste and then filed rest off till I got a nice press fit into the end of the boiler.
hope that explains it well enough mate

Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:32 am
by ACLR
got a chance to get into the workshop today and made up the the bits for the water level glass for the boiler
Image

edit: picture taken with jilly's new camera a canon eos450d
she loves her birthday pressant :D

Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:09 pm
by LMS-Jools
andysleigh wrote:
LMS-Jools wrote:and what are the circles for ?  :?:
boiler ends
lol I meant the line of holes/circles in the main piece. :roll:

Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:25 pm
by alan2525
ACLR wrote:
and have made the mandrel for turning the wheels
Image
Isn't the mandrel supposed to be turned in a three jaw chuck, and without removing it from the lathe, used to turn the wheels to ensure concentricity, Or will you chuck in a four jaw and use a dial indicator to true it up?

Alan

Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:04 pm
by ACLR
Alan I will be trueing it up in a 4 jaw chuck.
and lms-jools the holes are for the steam takeoff for the rgulator etc another is for safety valve and one for topup valve and one is spare dont know what for yet.

Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:05 pm
by mhlr
ACLR wrote:and one is spare dont know what for yet.
whistle ;) :lol:

Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:41 pm
by ACLR
thats posible Pete ;)

Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:21 pm
by andysleigh
you have always got to have a whistle, its the most important part of an engine.

Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:22 pm
by SillyBilly
Of course it is Andy :? ....