The Great GRF Photo Competition - Summer 2014 Entries

If you would like to share some of your garden railway photographs or photos of prototypes which might inspire members, then please post them in here
kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: Summer photo competition

Post by kandnwlr » Sun May 25, 2014 8:07 pm

andymctractor:100962 wrote:
kandnwlr:100951 wrote:I´ve been trying to work out what the locomotive is?  :x
Sorry I don't know I will try and find out for you though.  This was taken during the CLR's recent Open Day which was very busy.
Interesting one. Many thanks for the info. :D

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Sun May 25, 2014 8:38 pm

TTHLRMatt:101003 wrote:The loco in the first pic by Andy is (I cant quite remember his name but I think its richard?) a large model of the C&M Chevalier on a ragleth chassis.
Would that be Richard Copperwheat? He was at the Open Day. I've e-mailed one of the attenders who knows most people and was amongst the main group of operators but I've not heard back from him yet. Thanks for the info.
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Mon May 26, 2014 7:42 am

andymctractor:101001 wrote:Sun on my back and its too hot to work.
Nice one. Interesting version of perspective with the tractor at the back .... :D

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Mon May 26, 2014 9:01 am

kandnwlr:101015 wrote:Nice one. Interesting version of perspective with the tractor at the back .... :D
In the foreground and cropped out is a rock on which was sat the Back2Bay6 figure of the camp guy with the green jacket reading a book. As he is quite large and was close to the camera it gave another perspective, but I couldn't get it to look right.

I was going to head this photograph 'I've got the meat you organise the barbeque.' but my wife said that could upset the veggies amongst the voters. :shock:
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

davefort
Cleaner
Cleaner

photo competition - summer 2014

Post by davefort » Mon May 26, 2014 12:18 pm

Strolling home on a summer evening after a few ales; what could possibly go wrong?

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Mon May 26, 2014 1:20 pm

andymctractor:101017 wrote:
kandnwlr:101015 wrote:Nice one. Interesting version of perspective with the tractor at the back .... :D
In the foreground and cropped out is a rock on which was sat the Back2Bay6 figure of the camp guy with the green jacket reading a book.  As he is quite large and was close to the camera it gave another perspective, but I couldn't get it to look right.

I was going to head this photograph 'I've got the meat you organise the barbeque.' but my wife said that could upset the veggies amongst the voters.   :shock:
I could have sworn that the basis for that crane was a dalek, but on closer examination ..... :shock:

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Mon May 26, 2014 3:23 pm

kandnwlr:101022 wrote: I could have sworn that the basis for that crane was a dalek, but on closer examination ..... :shock:
Blame the pre WW1 French military who designed it. :icon_smile: But they may have been on the Alsacian wine, or was Alsace part of Germany then? :?:

Have a look at this link, click 'visit page' then follow some of the text down to Artillery crane. If it works there is some interesting stuff here. Joking apart this was a very clever and simple design of crane intended for a specific purpose.
Good luck.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... =0&ndsp=24
Regards
Andy McMahon

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Mon May 26, 2014 6:26 pm

Albert and Victoria "race" to beat the rain.

(Not much sunshine here today)

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Mon May 26, 2014 11:37 pm

kandnwlr:100951 wrote:
andymctractor:100927 wrote:On days like this we're glad our train is late.
I´ve been trying to work out what the locomotive is?  :x
The loco I now can confirm belongs to Richard Copperwheat from the East Anglian group. He replied the following when asked about it.

Hello Andy

Sorry for delay in replying. I'm guilty it's my engine. It's a semi scale model of the first engine of the Campbeltown and Machrihanish railway. It's based on an early caradoc which had seen better days. The cylinders were re ringed with new pistons supplied by Dave Mees and re fixed to chassis by roll pins (known fault on early accrucraft engines) with help from Evan Williams. I had inspirational help from Glen Brooks who was able to design the body on his computer. We lowered the boiler a bit by taking about 1/8 - 3/16 th off bottom of smoke box. Foot plate items were moved backwards and body soldered up. Glen made up a new steam turret for me and a safety valve extension which I silver soldered on to original (took apart first). As everything had to move back the safety valve is where filler used to be and now filled through where safety valve was by bottle through enots type filler. Had to stop Glen from taking it further and wanted to mill frames as well to reduce depth at rear !! Railings on back are nails soldered to 1/4 by 1/4 brass angle and 1/16 piano wire usual 16mm stuff . Buffers were copied from photos from B&Q wood backed by steel. The plates were obtained by Glen who had some made as he made the other loco from that railway using a leader chassis. The old body went to David House another 16mm just starting out who could only get a running ragleth chassis. Almost forgot the chimney is an old scap archangels sgt murphy? I like to think its a typical recycled 16 mm engine made from bits with lots and lots of help from other local members ( Glen & Evan) plus a bad habit of not leaving things as built.

Richard
Regards
Andy McMahon

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon May 26, 2014 11:51 pm

There's some really lovely photos here, so I'm submitting this to support the competition rather than to win the thing, but here goes anyway - "Summer on the West Kent Light Railway" - featuring the railbus approaching the spot that's currently a building site on the new (WH)WHR...

Cheers,

Andrew.

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Mon May 26, 2014 11:58 pm

One of those summer days in a North Wales valley in the preservation era when the sun is right and the only imhabitants are the [much modified for preservation] locomotive and its pristine matching rake...

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Tue May 27, 2014 1:33 am

I have some good ideas for a beautiful photograph, but nothing as yet is green or growing or even really melted in the miserable ice-planet hellscape I live in. I am doomed to be perpetually a month behind in the spring and summer competitions.

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Tue May 27, 2014 9:21 am

dougrail:101047 wrote:One of those summer days in a North Wales valley in the preservation era when the sun is right and the only imhabitants are the [much modified for preservation] locomotive and its pristine matching rake...
I thought I knew the photo I was going to vote for, until this one was entered. :icon_smile:
Regards
Andy McMahon

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Tue May 27, 2014 10:12 am

dougrail:101047 wrote:One of those summer days in a North Wales valley in the preservation era when the sun is right and the only imhabitants are the [much modified for preservation] locomotive and its pristine matching rake...
Nice looking train :D

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:33 pm

Wow! Some great entries on here for this season, keep them coming! :D

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:12 pm

kandnwlr:101055 wrote:
Nice looking train  :D
Cheers mate. It's my Super-Janet 060 "Swordbreaker" and its "Chickens" rake of coaches - 5 matching balcony 4w. :)

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:39 pm

some fantastic photos im going to post mine soon

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:23 pm

The Earl ambles through the verdant Misbourne Valley after a brief summer shower.

TTHLRMatt
Fireman
Fireman

Post by TTHLRMatt » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:15 pm

Caradon simmering at Herrington Park Station

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:02 pm

Now that the deadlines for entries has passed I shall organise the poll over the next day or two.

Also Matt, what edits have you done to your entry as it looks like you've used Alpha fading to it?