3.5 inch gauge

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
nikkor
Cleaner
Cleaner

3.5 inch gauge

Post by nikkor » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:56 pm

Does anybody have any experience with trains of this scale?

Thank you!

sstjc
Fireman
Fireman

Post by sstjc » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:27 am

What you wanna know ?
Regards
Barry

www.5inchrail.com

nikkor
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by nikkor » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:34 am

If it is possible to ride one on the ground or do I need to elevate the track?

How much would it cost to build an LBSC locomotive?

Who are some good suppliers for them?

nikkor
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by nikkor » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:17 am

Oh also, how many people could something as small as say the LBSC Tich pull?

Or the Rocket etc. smaller locomotives?

DLRdan
Driver
Driver

Post by DLRdan » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:09 am

3.5" at ground level is possible but is very difficult to run like this as you are nearly bent double to fire. A tich is as small as you would want to go. They are very popular first time locos for people to build, as such the build quality can vary wildly. They have very small cylinders so will just about manage one person on level track. The rocket being even smaller won't pull a person. I would sugest looking at either a Rob Roy or Juliet. Both these locos are significantly bigger than tich and have larger cylinders and boilers but again, are popular first time builds and have varying build quality. There is a thread on here somewhere about my Rob roy.

Many people sell LBSC locos and a quick google of the loco you are after will find them. AJ reeves and Black gates are a couple. There are also companies who sell fully built locos second hand. Try and find a local model engineering club, they will be able to show you what is avaliable and may have club locos you can drive after a bit of training.
Dan,

James: "Dan, can you use your hearing and tell me if that trains coming ?"
DLR
www.freewebs.com/dlrail

nikkor
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by nikkor » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:01 pm

I am starting to gather that 5 inch gauge would be a more practical choice for ground level then?

And at least with something like that Maxitrak Chaloner I could regauge it to 4 and something inches like is popular in the US.

I don't have the ability to machine anything much myself, I have a feeling I'll either buy something used or have to pay for something to be prepped for me to bolt together and paint.

jabsteam
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by jabsteam » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:49 am

You can ride behind 3.5" gauge engines on a hi line track. You ride side saddle with both legs hanging off one side. The problem is, finding one of these tracks here in the USA. Some of the original Live Steam Clubs back East, like Pioneer Valley, still have a high line. I don't recall ANY high line Club tracks west of the Mississippi, but I may be wrong.

4.75 gauge tracks are mostly high line in the East, and on the ground in the West. Most tracks are private, especially in the West. Very few Clubs have 4.75 tracks, and they are mostly in the East.
Jim Bruneau
Accu. Plantation 0-4-2ST
Accu. WD Baldwin 4-6-0T
RH Custom American 2-6-2ST
Regner Chaloner
DJB Robert 0-4-0T- coal

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:50 am

You ride side saddle on raised tracks in the US? How interesting, its always one leg either side for raised tracks here.
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

nikkor
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by nikkor » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:36 pm

Interesting. How much would a used Juliet set me back or having one machined for me? Would five inch gauge stand to be more practical for someone with two children?

steam4ian
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by steam4ian » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:41 pm

G'day

We have a Juliet at our club that regularly pulls the driver and two passengers on public days. It runs on a gauntleted 3.5" and 5" gauge ground level track with the riding car running on 5" gauge. Cars are of the sit astride type. The only Tich I have seen was well made and would pull the driver OK and possibly one passenger.

Our track is not level because it is a figure 8 folded over itself so the grades are about 1:50 (2%). The Juliet owner/driver is Allan Wallace* a well recognised designer, builder and competent driver. Google "Allan Wallace valve gear" to see his capability.

You would be better off with a 5" (or 4.75") gauge loco. There are a number of designs which are comparatively small and can easily pull a family. My 5" loco is a doubled up Tich running on 5" gauge. It is quite capable of pulling me (about 100 kg) and two adults and two children. The only weakness on my loco is that the firebox crown is too high in the boiler leaving insufficient steam space. with the undulating track managing the water level is a challenge.

Regards
Ian
Ian

nikkor
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by nikkor » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:44 am

Ian,

Due to the fact that I live in the US I was thinking of a MaxiTrak Chaloner for my first locomotive. Hopefully there is some way of allowing the engine to be regauged easily to accommodate 5 and 4 3/4 in gauges respectively.

As absurdly interesting as this sounds I could travel and take a steamer with me.

I suppose that after I put together my first I could start dabbling with some LBSC castings.

I have absolutely no experience with machining, how horrendous could this be as a first project?

DaveWatkins
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by DaveWatkins » Thu May 01, 2014 6:14 pm

Maxitrack sell Chaloner with the wheels set for either 4.75" or 5" gauge. The wheels on my 5" Chaloner are not adjustable - they look as if they are a press fit.

I suggest asking Maxitrak if they could make the wheels adjustable.

http://www.davewatkins.pwp.blueyonder.c ... inton.html
Dave

nikkor
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by nikkor » Thu May 01, 2014 9:21 pm

That's always good. I think that I might buy one.

How large of a mill/lathe would I need to build smaller LBSC 5 inch gauge locomotives?

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Thu May 01, 2014 9:52 pm

I had a Juliet... Thought it were a good idea to begin with but it was an absolute sod!
Why not look at a Polly Engineering loco? They're 5" and come as a complete kit! No machine whatsoever and you can even buy the spares for them. They're good pullers too.
No one expects the SPANISH ACQUISITION!!!

nikkor
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by nikkor » Fri May 02, 2014 12:23 am

...by God.
I feel so stupid, but then again I am neither in the UK or someone that would be in the know on this- I'm a 26 year old Texan in the US Army.

That is a beautiful series of locomotives.
There is a part of me that does want to build one of my own someday.

nikkor
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by nikkor » Fri May 02, 2014 2:02 am

http://www.glrkennions.co.uk/model-engi ... tich5.html

I would like to build this little fella, but I have 0 idea what I would do with a mill and lathe.

Now if it was a field phone system I would be set.

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Fri May 02, 2014 6:17 am

See if there's any local courses in machining at a college?
Personally I'd not bother with 3.5" at all and go for either 5" or 7.25". A friend if mine had a tich and it couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding...

nikkor
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by nikkor » Fri May 02, 2014 7:46 am

laurence703:100223 wrote:See if there's any local courses in machining at a college?
Personally I'd not bother with 3.5" at all and go for either 5" or 7.25". A friend if mine had a tich and it couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding...
I won't lie gents I am at a total loss with this one.

I was considering the Chaloner from Maxitrak, the Polly 1/2, the Railmotor or the 5 inch gauge Tich. Would be neat if I could find something that could regauged between 4 3/4 and 5 inch, but I guess no such option exists. I would like to build a bolt together and graduate to something a little more difficult, but time will tell. I honestly would not be opposed to doing one that has to be machined more- but there are other factors coming into play for that.

I suppose the reason I would like smaller engines in both gauges is traveling, joining local clubs etc. When the day I have my own backyard comes about it will all be 5 inch gauge though.

I can take a machining course, however, the catch that I have with any form of trade school is the Army comes first.

And they take my time like no other- and it always goes something like...

"Sarrrrrrrn't. I'm drunk. Come get me."

nikkor
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by nikkor » Sun May 04, 2014 10:04 am

Well gents, thanks for the advice, sorry for being a pest.

The decision was made by oddly enough the soon to be Misses- looks like I am getting a MaxiTrak Alice- in a matter of thirty seconds when I had the page left open- according to her:

"Aww it's cute! I hope you like Scottish terriers!"

Followed by:

"Uhh... but... this doesn't make quite the same mess that your dogs will make..."

So I just have to accept that for every steam engine I request it translates into one more fufu dog she's allotted.
Someone find me a large traction engine, maybe then she might allow a mastiff in my life so I don't feel completely emasculated.

Thanks for all your advice guys, I'll let you all know when I head to the UK.

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Sun May 04, 2014 10:15 am

nikkor:100221 wrote:...by God.
I feel so stupid, but then again I am neither in the UK or someone that would be in the know on this- I'm a 26 year old Texan in the US Army.

That is a beautiful series of locomotives.
There is a part of me that does want to build one of my own someday.
Plenty of room to build something big, there. Some day you´ll make the move. :o